U.S. Senate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

2.6

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate in January 2014.

I went through both a phone and in-person interview (since I lived in the area). The questions were pretty basic for me, like "Tell Me about yourself?" "What are your strength and weaknesses?" "How are you working with people?," etc. The whole process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions for me, they're pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied for the summer internship. I sent in all of the information required for the application, and hear back from them less than a week later. One member of the office staff set up a phone interview via email, and they called me maybe 5 minutes after the designated time. The phone interview was with two members of the office staff. They honestly didn't really ask me any classic interview questions, I think they were already decided on who they were giving the job to. However, because a lot of the job is handling constituents on the phone, they are constantly paying attention to how you interact on the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think that you are best suited for to work for the Senator of this state and region?   Answer Question
    There was none, but there are a few Senators that do pay their Interns! Many don't though.

Press Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at U.S. Senate.

General behavioral interview--important especially to know a lot abut the Member's legislative background and home state, bonus points if you're from the home state

Interview Questions
    • Talk about legislation that you feel passionately about. Also, one area where you disagree with the member.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, but I am regretting that--I think I should have.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate in February 2012.

You need to be referred to an office for any chance at a job. Blind mailing your resume or even replying to an online posting will get you nowhere. If you don't know anyone, make use of your LinkedIn network and get some coffees. Once an office is interested, you'll meet with the office manager (or possibly LD) and probably submit a writing sample. If that goes well, you then meet with the Chief of Staff.

Interview Questions
    • Questions vary, it really depends on the office. I've been asked the plain vanilla, what's your greatest weakness, etc, questions. I've also been challenged about parts of my resume (you worked for X, but the Senator supports Y. Were you wrong or is the Senator wrong?).   Answer Question
    There will be no negotiating. Salaries are standard, except for more senior positions. Most offices offer a student loan incentive, though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at U.S. Senate in October 2011.

Information interview with the Senate office during summer of 2011. Received phone call from office three months later informing me of staff position available beginning January 2012. Phone interview four days later with Senate office Chief of Staff and Legislative Director. In-person interview at Senate office in Washington, D.C. one week later.

Interview Questions
    • What was the year, title, and location of Winston Churchill's speech in which he used the term "Iron Curtain" to describe the Soviet Union's takeover of Central and Eastern European satellite states?   View Answer
    There was not, and rarely is, a negotiation phase for this federal government employment position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate in June 2011.

Resume submission, three interviews, and a writing test.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Take the job or leave it if you are answering an announcement. Plenty of people want to work on the Hill and are willing to be paid what you are not. The only room for negotiation comes when you specifically are sought for employment.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate in May 2011.

Two interviews; not very rigorous; attempted to gather whether or not I was familiar with the state and the issues I'd be working on.

Interview Questions
    • What are some of the major issues, in your opinion, facing the agriculture sector currently?   Answer Question
    Little room for negotiation on salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at U.S. Senate in March 2011.

The hiring and interview process is fairly easy; you apply to the office then wait to hear back. These jobs have intense competition and as such, you need to be stellar and hopefully know someone in the office to guarantee getting in.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss the details of one bill currently being discussed by the Senate.   Answer Question
    Interns aren't paid.

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at U.S. Senate in September 2010.

I was an intern previously so it was a smooth transition.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at U.S. Senate in August 2010.

Interviews generally require the candidate to have a knowledge of the state the Member represents. A candidate should expect to show interest in politics, the political principles of the Member, and dedication to those principles.

A willingness to go "above and beyond" is essential. Hours in Congress can be long and require significant commitment. Interviewers are looking for someone who does not have a 9-5 mentality and is willing to work harder if the job requires.

An interviewee should be able to display strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with people - that's what good politics is.

Technical or analytic knowledge in areas such as economics is a plus because it shows that a candidate will be able to analyze data.

Interview Questions
    • Writing samples are often required at the time of the interview. Often, they will provide the candidate with a list of one or two topics currently under debate in the public square (e.g. healthcare, unemployment, etc.) The candidate will have to choose a topic to write an essay on.   Answer Question