U.S. Senate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

2.6

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

I submitted the online application which included answering some questions about my interests/past work, submitting a resume, and submitting a cover letter. There was only one interview round and I was notified of the decision 4 weeks after.

Interview Questions

• What is a policy of the Senator's that you support and why?   Answer Question

Mail Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

Had to undergo a series of questions from 3 supervisors, then had to cross train and learn the protocols for data processing and checking mail thoroughly, and lastly properly suit up before doing into the lab to screen the mail.

Interview Questions

• What gets you most upset when perfoming your job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

8% increase from what I was making as a mail carrier

Speechwriter Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

It's all about who you know. Because I was well connected with someone politically, I felt the skids were greased beforehand. First round interview was on the phone with a chief of staff. The in-person interview was with the chief of staff and the principal. I felt I had already been vetted and approved and the in-person interview felt mostly pro forma.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated a bump in salary purely by bravado and luck

Staff Assistant Interview

Interview

They called me for a phone interview and asked some pretty standard questions and it lasted about 20 minutes. The lady one the phone was really polite but let me know that they typically interview around 200 candidates for this position so unless you know someone, you are going to have to find a way to stand out from the pack.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Senator? List everything you can, it is a test of knowledge and what you can recite off the top of your head.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, all the questions were easy, mostly behavioral, a few easy technical questions about my specific member. The interviewers were lower level staffers and were very nice. I would suggest reading the members wikipedia page and his/her personal website before your interview.

Staff Assistant Interview

Interview

I submitted a resume which was then kept on file. I received a call when a position became available about 6 months later and was asked to come in for a formal interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

Interview with Chief of Staff. Was offered internship on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not open for negotiation.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

I applied online through the senator's internship site. Got a call back within two weeks asking for an interview. Due to my location at that time, I requested a phone interview and they were happy to comply with my request.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a frustrated constituent calling?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at U.S. Senate (Lincoln, NE).

Interview

The hiring process was very straightforward and open. After submission of a cover letter and resume, letters of recommendation were requested so that character and work ethic could be reviewed. At least one needed to be from a professor or other educational person. Then, upon completion of resume review, I received a call asking for an in-person interview. I scheduled this, and was then interviewed by two staff members. I waited a couple of weeks and was offered the job.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U.S. Senate in January 2014.

Interview

I went through both a phone and in-person interview (since I lived in the area). The questions were pretty basic for me, like "Tell Me about yourself?" "What are your strength and weaknesses?" "How are you working with people?," etc. The whole process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any unexpected questions for me, they're pretty straight forward.   Answer Question