U.S. Senate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2015

2.6

Speechwriter Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

It's all about who you know. Because I was well connected with someone politically, I felt the skids were greased beforehand. First round interview was on the phone with a chief of staff. The in-person interview was with the chief of staff and the principal. I felt I had already been vetted and approved and the in-person interview felt mostly pro forma.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated a bump in salary purely by bravado and luck

Staff Assistant Interview

Interview

They called me for a phone interview and asked some pretty standard questions and it lasted about 20 minutes. The lady one the phone was really polite but let me know that they typically interview around 200 candidates for this position so unless you know someone, you are going to have to find a way to stand out from the pack.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the Senator? List everything you can, it is a test of knowledge and what you can recite off the top of your head.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at U.S. Senate (Washington, DC) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone interview, all the questions were easy, mostly behavioral, a few easy technical questions about my specific member. The interviewers were lower level staffers and were very nice. I would suggest reading the members wikipedia page and his/her personal website before your interview.

Staff Assistant Interview

Interview

I submitted a resume which was then kept on file. I received a call when a position became available about 6 months later and was asked to come in for a formal interview.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

Interview with Chief of Staff. Was offered internship on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not open for negotiation.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview

I applied online through the senator's internship site. Got a call back within two weeks asking for an interview. Due to my location at that time, I requested a phone interview and they were happy to comply with my request.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a frustrated constituent calling?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincoln, NE

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at U.S. Senate (Lincoln, NE).

Interview

The hiring process was very straightforward and open. After submission of a cover letter and resume, letters of recommendation were requested so that character and work ethic could be reviewed. At least one needed to be from a professor or other educational person. Then, upon completion of resume review, I received a call asking for an in-person interview. I scheduled this, and was then interviewed by two staff members. I waited a couple of weeks and was offered the job.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate in January 2014.

Interview

I went through both a phone and in-person interview (since I lived in the area). The questions were pretty basic for me, like "Tell Me about yourself?" "What are your strength and weaknesses?" "How are you working with people?," etc. The whole process took about 2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any unexpected questions for me, they're pretty straight forward.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at U.S. Senate in January 2014.

Interview

Short and easy, one phone interview then was accepted. Had to answer questions on why you would be good for this job, what experience do you have that will help you be successful, etc.

Intern Interview

Interview

I applied for the summer internship. I sent in all of the information required for the application, and hear back from them less than a week later. One member of the office staff set up a phone interview via email, and they called me maybe 5 minutes after the designated time. The phone interview was with two members of the office staff. They honestly didn't really ask me any classic interview questions, I think they were already decided on who they were giving the job to. However, because a lot of the job is handling constituents on the phone, they are constantly paying attention to how you interact on the phone.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think that you are best suited for to work for the Senator of this state and region?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none, but there are a few Senators that do pay their Interns! Many don't though.