U.S. Senate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at U.S. Senate in August 2010.

Interviews generally require the candidate to have a knowledge of the state the Member represents. A candidate should expect to show interest in politics, the political principles of the Member, and dedication to those principles.

A willingness to go "above and beyond" is essential. Hours in Congress can be long and require significant commitment. Interviewers are looking for someone who does not have a 9-5 mentality and is willing to work harder if the job requires.

An interviewee should be able to display strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with people - that's what good politics is.

Technical or analytic knowledge in areas such as economics is a plus because it shows that a candidate will be able to analyze data.

Interview Questions
    • Writing samples are often required at the time of the interview. Often, they will provide the candidate with a list of one or two topics currently under debate in the public square (e.g. healthcare, unemployment, etc.) The candidate will have to choose a topic to write an essay on.   Answer Question

Legislative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Senate in March 2009.

Heard about a junior LC job opening from a friend. Shot my resume to the Chief of Staff. Friend put in a good word. Had one interview. 1 week later received email offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Was asked to demonstrate my writing ability on the spot.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at U.S. Senate in March 2011.

The hiring and interview process is fairly easy; you apply to the office then wait to hear back. These jobs have intense competition and as such, you need to be stellar and hopefully know someone in the office to guarantee getting in.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss the details of one bill currently being discussed by the Senate.   Answer Question
    Interns aren't paid.

Intern Interview

I applied for the summer internship. I sent in all of the information required for the application, and hear back from them less than a week later. One member of the office staff set up a phone interview via email, and they called me maybe 5 minutes after the designated time. The phone interview was with two members of the office staff. They honestly didn't really ask me any classic interview questions, I think they were already decided on who they were giving the job to. However, because a lot of the job is handling constituents on the phone, they are constantly paying attention to how you interact on the phone.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think that you are best suited for to work for the Senator of this state and region?   Answer Question
    There was none, but there are a few Senators that do pay their Interns! Many don't though.

Press Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at U.S. Senate.

General behavioral interview--important especially to know a lot abut the Member's legislative background and home state, bonus points if you're from the home state

Interview Questions
    • Talk about legislation that you feel passionately about. Also, one area where you disagree with the member.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate, but I am regretting that--I think I should have.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Senate in June 2011.

Resume submission, three interviews, and a writing test.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Take the job or leave it if you are answering an announcement. Plenty of people want to work on the Hill and are willing to be paid what you are not. The only room for negotiation comes when you specifically are sought for employment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 months - interviewed at U.S. Senate in October 2011.

Information interview with the Senate office during summer of 2011. Received phone call from office three months later informing me of staff position available beginning January 2012. Phone interview four days later with Senate office Chief of Staff and Legislative Director. In-person interview at Senate office in Washington, D.C. one week later.

Interview Questions
    • What was the year, title, and location of Winston Churchill's speech in which he used the term "Iron Curtain" to describe the Soviet Union's takeover of Central and Eastern European satellite states?   View Answer
    There was not, and rarely is, a negotiation phase for this federal government employment position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Senate in April 2010.

Cold called as recommended by my public policy professor. I left a message since the phone line was busy. I recieved a call back, sent in my resume, and received another call 48 hours later for writing sample & references. Did a hour long phone interview with staff director, then my references were checked - they offered me job before second reference even came through.

Interview Questions
    • What is X Senator's position on X and what did they say about it today in the New York Times?   View Answer
    • What tourist attraction do you most want to visit while in DC?   View Answer
    Realistically, you're taking a government job. There's not a big band for salary - and if you try to negotiate, you will regret the additional stress and work hours you will be expected to put in. I recommend no negotiation its a gov't job. You want it or you don't. They can't pay you much, but you'll learn a ton. Personally, its the best year of my life. Hope to find another job that makes me that excited someday. (with better pay ;D)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burlington, VT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Senate in April 2010.

Interviewed over the phone with two staffers from the office. Interview was almost exclusively behavioral, very laid back. The interviewers wanted to know about why I wanted the position, previous leadership experiences, etc. Specific questions pertaining to my resume were asked, especially relating to prior jobs experiences. Interviewers were especially interested in lessons learned from previous job experiences relating to working with people.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in this position?   View Answer
    • How would you deal with an angry constituent?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Senate in February 2009.

They were very encouraging and enthusiastic. Pretty normal. Asked a lot about what I would like to do in the office, which was in order to see whether or not I had done my research and knew the topics the Senator focused on.

Interview Questions
    • Out of the Senator's main issues of focus, which would you like to work on and why?   Answer Question