U.S. Senate

25 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Press Assistant Interview

Press Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at U.S. Senate.

Interview Details – General behavioral interview--important especially to know a lot abut the Member's legislative background and home state, bonus points if you're from the home state

Interview Question – Talk about legislation that you feel passionately about. Also, one area where you disagree with the member.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, but I am regretting that--I think I should have.

Very Difficult Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Senate in June 2011.

Interview Details – Resume submission, three interviews, and a writing test.

Interview Question – Writing test.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Take the job or leave it if you are answering an announcement. Plenty of people want to work on the Hill and are willing to be paid what you are not. The only room for negotiation comes when you specifically are sought for employment.

Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at U.S. Senate in October 2011.

Interview Details – Information interview with the Senate office during summer of 2011. Received phone call from office three months later informing me of staff position available beginning January 2012. Phone interview four days later with Senate office Chief of Staff and Legislative Director. In-person interview at Senate office in Washington, D.C. one week later.

Interview Question – What was the year, title, and location of Winston Churchill's speech in which he used the term "Iron Curtain" to describe the Soviet Union's takeover of Central and Eastern European satellite states?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was not, and rarely is, a negotiation phase for this federal government employment position.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at U.S. Senate in April 2010.

Interview Details – Cold called as recommended by my public policy professor. I left a message since the phone line was busy. I recieved a call back, sent in my resume, and received another call 48 hours later for writing sample & references. Did a hour long phone interview with staff director, then my references were checked - they offered me job before second reference even came through.

Interview Questions

• What is X Senator's position on X and what did they say about it today in the New York Times?   View Answer
  • What tourist attraction do you most want to visit while in DC?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Realistically, you're taking a government job. There's not a big band for salary - and if you try to negotiate, you will regret the additional stress and work hours you will be expected to put in. I recommend no negotiation its a gov't job. You want it or you don't. They can't pay you much, but you'll learn a ton. Personally, its the best year of my life. Hope to find another job that makes me that excited someday. (with better pay ;D)

Burlington, VT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Senate in April 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed over the phone with two staffers from the office. Interview was almost exclusively behavioral, very laid back. The interviewers wanted to know about why I wanted the position, previous leadership experiences, etc. Specific questions pertaining to my resume were asked, especially relating to prior jobs experiences. Interviewers were especially interested in lessons learned from previous job experiences relating to working with people.

Interview Questions

Washington, DC

The process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Senate in February 2009.

Interview Details – They were very encouraging and enthusiastic. Pretty normal. Asked a lot about what I would like to do in the office, which was in order to see whether or not I had done my research and knew the topics the Senator focused on.

Interview Question – Out of the Senator's main issues of focus, which would you like to work on and why?   Answer Question

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at U.S. Senate in December 2009.

Interview Details – I got a phone call about 2 weeks after submitting my resume and cover letter. There were a bunch of perfunctory questions, then a few about my commitment and skills/qualities. Finally, they asked whether I knew that the internship was unpaid, and I said yes.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had to complete a task unsupervised.   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Program Coordinator
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Senate in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was an intern previously so it was a smooth transition.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses   Answer Question

Newark, NJ

The process took a day - interviewed at U.S. Senate in June 2010.

Interview Details – After a brief email exchange (I was out of the USA) I arranged a phone interview in place of the standard in-person interview. The Phone interview was brief. They asked three questions 1) Why did I want to work for Senator Menendez 2) Why did I want to work in a constituent service office as opposed to working in D.C. 3)Describe a difficult situation at a previous job and how you handled it. After the questions they provided me with a verbal description of the job. The next day I received an email explaining I'd have an in-person interview when I returned to the USA, but in reality it was just a formality and they merely showed me around the office.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult situation you have encountered at a previous job and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

Staff Assistant
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at U.S. Senate in May 2010.

Interview Details – Very informal general interview

Interview Question – What interests you about working for the Senator?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not too much negotiation