UAB Medicine

Updated Aug 4, 2014
Updated Aug 4, 2014

2.2

PATIENT ENCOUNTER SPECIALIST Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UAB Medicine.

Originally was called for an interview, I live out of town so I drove in the night before and stayed in a hotel. Went in for my interview and skills test. After my skills test I was told that the woman doing my interview was is a meeting and to go ahead and leave, that I would do a phone interview instead by the end of the day. I stayed in town for a few hours, just to offer to meet face to face but I never heard back. I called towards the end of the day to check in and got a message machine. Four days past and they called and said they had been tied up, and that I should have my interview by the end of the day or the following day....never heard back after that regarding that position.
    A month later I applied to a second position and received a call to confirm an interview the following day. I was hesitant to accept, but the company is well know, so I didn't think I had anything to lose. I made to the actual interview this time and so far I love working for the company.

Interview Questions
    • Just standard get to know you questions, very laid back interview   Answer Question
    No Negotiation, did not seem as though it was an option.

Patient Care Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UAB Medicine.

initial contact with HR. only hiring nursing students at this point.

Interview Questions
    there was no negotiation phase

Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UAB Medicine in May 2013.

I submitted my application and resume online and was contacted by the hr department about 1 month later saying that my resume has been chosen for the interview process. The interview process for me contained four rounds. All rounds were very communicative and relationship based. I felt even more empowered about my new job after every interview and by no means did I feel like I was being drilled or questioned for failure like some interviews go. The first round I met with the Executive Director of Development, who is my direct supervisor. This interview was basically to get to know me. She wanted to know where I was from, what I did in college, what my hobbies were, and how I came across the position and why I chose to apply. We went over the job description and how my resume/ experience is perfect for the position. We also discussed the next steps in the interview process and how many people I am competing against (6 first round-4 second round -2 third round.) I killed the interview and at the end she told me to expect a call from her secretary within a day or two. The second round was about 3 and half hours long. I met with 5 people total. I had a one-on-one with a director of development (DOD), then another one-on-one w/ another DOD, and then I had a group interview with a Major Gifts Officer, a Development Officer, and a fellow Development Coordinator. The first two one-on-ones were very similar to the first interview. They wanted to get to know me and why I chose UAB and development. They loved talking about what they do, not in a bragging snobbish kind of way, but in a fulfilling way. The group interview really got more in to the nitty gritty of the job description. They talked more heavily and precisely on daily tasks and how the position works. They were enjoyable people as well. This interview was conducted in the same building as my previous so I dropped by and gave her my hand-written thank you note and asked my potential boss what the next steps would be. She said the secretary will follow up within a few days. The third interview was the toughest. My interview was the Associate VP of Development and Major Gifts. I was already heavily recommended by my previous 6 interviewers, so he just wanted to make sure why I chose this career path and if UAB would be a good fit for me. I originally made it known that I initially wanted to go into marketing so every question was basically phishing around to see if was committed to the job since they are looking for a long term employee. We talked a lot about personality types and how I would fit in/ how I would interact with patients and doctors, and how everyone would interact with me. The interview was still more relationship based, as I got to know him and how he likes to manage/operate, but it wasn't as relationship based as the other. By the time I was called back for the fourth round, I already had the position. I was the number one candidate and they did not call anyone else back for the fourth round. However, I did not know that at the time. I thought I was still possibly competing with one other person, especially since my third round wasn't as great as I wanted it to be. The fourth round, unbeknownst to me, was more of a formality than anything. I met with the Executive Assistant for the Department of Surgery, he is basically the CEO for the department that I would be operating in. The interview started and my boss, the EDOD, basically told him my qualifications and why I was being chosen. I thought it was going to be another one-on-one, but we all three sat together. After hearing my qualifications, he just wanted to hear a little about me and then welcomed me to the team. It was a 15 minute 'interview'. I got the offer letter the next sent out to me the next day.

Interview Questions
    • After seeing your resume and understanding that you initially tried to go into marketing, why are you now choosing a path in development?   View Answer

HVAC Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Uab (Uzbekistan)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Uab (Uzbekistan)

I applied in-person – interviewed at UAB Medicine.

Good easy going atmosphere with three differant people asking about the techical as well as the veiwpoints of dealing with being in charge of a group in a certain amount of buildings and area.

Interview Questions
    • How do deal with anger issues with customers as well as fellow workers.   View Answer
    It was laid out you get what you got for starting pay of that job.