UBS Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UBS (San Francisco, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

It was a standard process with 2 rounds of interviews. Very technical in general with some brain teasers. It was a first round on the phone with a mid-level person. After that if accepted for final rounds we went to office visits and a super day. The super day is a day long interview with 5-8 people that focus on different aspects of the job. This goes from analysts up to managing directors. They also try to sell you on the office and the company if they like you.

Interview Questions

• How does the sale of a piece of equipment flow through the three financial statements.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for UBS

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UBS.

Interview

I applied online, then I did a reasoning test. They called me 2 weeks later to schedule a phone interview. I was told the phone interview would be purely competency but it was very technical. I was caught off guard as I was not expecting it.

Interview Questions

• Firm A with PE Ration of 20x acquires Firm B with PE ratio of 10 X. would EPS be expected to go up or down? If you could put your money in only one stock, what would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UBS (New York, NY) in February 2009.

Interview

There were two people in the interview, one seemed to play the good cop, one seemed to play the bad cop. Overall a standard IB interview, they asked for DCF cash flow, and everything on your resume. Be prepared to know your resume inside and out, because if you BS something, they will ask you indepth questions which I was not prepared to answer.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at UBS (City of London, England (UK)) in October 2011.

Interview

2 online test and was then invited to a interview day where many participants took a maths test in the morning. We then all had different interviews. I had 3, all with 2 people asking me questions. All very friendly and were more focused on practical things such as work experience and university participation as opposed to academic studies.

Interview Questions

• When have you worked in a bad team and what steps did you take to make it better?   1 Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at UBS (London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

very nice people who tried to help me out a lot and were very frank with the topic of payment. in general it seemed like they genuinely wanted everyone who applied to do well in the interview

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at UBS (London, England (UK)) in November 2010.

Interview

Hiring process in line with typical industry standards. Initial application based on first impression gained at workshop in CH. Several rounds of interviews in London office followed, all of which were predominantly focused on financial knowledge (DCFF, transaction comps, trading comps etc... less importance was placed on understanding of LBO models, accretion/dilution models etc though wouldn t ignore these as part of the interview process) and accounting knowledge (based on individual background in this case first and foremost IFRS related). Typical boot camp documents should provide a good first impression on these. Less emphasised, yet still important... personal fit. be prepared to give your interviewer comfort in a. your drive/achievement potential and b. motivation. interviewers might also look for leadership and teamwork capabilities, thus make sure to have a few handy samples prepared of where you demonstated these successfully.

Negotiation

standard contract with no room to negotiate

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UBS (London, England (UK)) in December 2009.

Interview

9 1:1 interviews in-a-row consisting of motivation questions, past experience and general investment banking questions on products, markets and recent deals. Interview day ending with 2:1 interviews with head of experienced hire HR consisting of commenting CV, career path, etc.

Interview Questions

• Are you conscious of the real challenge that UBS is facing at that time? We will all have to work very hard, are you ready for this?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation possible

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UBS (New York, NY) in October 2008.

Interview

Phone interview consisted of fit questions. The face to face interviews were in one superday of 5 rounds. Asked why finance, etc. Explain credit crisis. Some logic questions - dice/probability. Then two guys who quizzed me on valuation. Asked me about internship previous summer with BoA. BoA gave me an offer but I said I'd take UBS over it. Obviously they didnt believe me.

Interview Questions

• Expected value of a 6 sided die?   1 Answer
    • What metrics do you look at when valuing a company?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UBS in November 2009.

Interview

Non target school. Had phone interview with HR which lasted about 30 minutes. Then was moved on to phone interview which was supposed to be with 2 analysts but only one made it to the conference call.Consisted mostly of behavioral questions. Then flew to New York for Super Day which consisted of 3 one on one interviews. Mostly behavioral with a couple of technical questions mixed in.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you would be a good analyst?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you lead a team and how it has impacted you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UBS (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

It was 95% tech questions for the first round. They will dig into every question they throw out. Be prepared!