UBS

Relevance Date Difficulty

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Operations Summer Analyst
Stamford, CT

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at UBS in April 2012.

Interview Details – First round consisted of a Phone interview, then invited to superday at Stamford...3 1:1 interviews, and then a group case study. All competency questions. Were a pain to get re-compensated for travel there. Also, interviewees were hit or miss, some being rude, while others were quite nice. They gave us lunch. HR reps. were a bit abrasive.

Interview Question – You've told me what you like doing, what do you hate doing?   View Answers (2)

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Operations Summer Analyst
Stamford, CT

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UBS in March 2011.

Interview Details – Currently a Junior at an undergraduate business school. UBS was recruiting on campus for On Campus Recruitment (or OCR) so I applied through my school's career site and UBS's career page as well (both required). Was contacted via email by my school. Schedule an interview with and met with the regional director in the Northeast. It was very informal but unlike my other interviews, he was not as social or friendly. Got a second round/superday. Flew from Ithaca to JFK, all expenses paid. Then took the train to Stamford. Arrived and then greeted by HR. Was taken into a room full of other candidates, mostly kids in top 30 schools (Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Rutgers, etc). Given a schedule of who and when we're interviewing. Had a few back to back interviews as well as a few 1v1 and 2v2. People here are very diverse not only in terms of demographics but also personality wise. Some were pretty social and friendly, some were very strict and business like. After individual interviews, we were taken into another room for a "presentation". It was basically a group project where we discuss what to do about a certain situation. After that, we were taken for a tour of the trading floor. Not that impressed, but it was pretty big. They seemed really proud of it.

Overall the whole process was very organized and somewhat exciting and enjoyable. Everyone was very professional and polite, although there were a few exceptions. The interviewing style of my the analysts are more causal while the higher up and more "down to business" type. They are mostly looking for fit and to see if you are smart and capable. There were one or two technical ones but nothing that you can't answer unless if you even paid slight attention in econ class. I can safely say, compared to my other interviews in middle office/general finance, accounting, wealth management, risk; UBS's process was easily the most organized and the LONGEST by far. Like I mentioned before, it was somewhat enjoyable. You really get a feel of their culture and people once you're there.

Back to the interviews itself. UBS' interviewers basically all ask similar questions. Things to really know well since I got asked all of the ones listed (sometimes even more than once) 1) **Why UBS, 2) **Why Operations 3) Your resume 4) A time when you demonstrated leadership and/or teamwork 3) Strength/Weakness 4) **A Time/Project when you added value or improved something 5) **Past accomplishments 6) Why did you leave your last job 7) What motivates you 8) **Easy finance/econ questions 9) stay on top of the markets 10) A book that you read) 11) **Tell me about yourself/your background

The ones that has a ** are the more important/more frequently asked ones

All in all, I would say two weeks for your resumes to get selected. After you are selected, you wait one week until you scheduled interview. Then if you pass your first round, they'll call you in one more week to tell you when's superday (most of the time it's Thursday or Friday). Then wait another week for superday. After superday, they usually get back to you in 2-3 weeks. So the spread between application and offer is roughly 6-8 weeks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No, they pay all analysts the same regardless of other others. I tried leveraging my Citi finance offer, but they would not budge. Did give me a summer bonus, which is nice. I do not know any other banks that does that.

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!