UBS Operations Summer Analyst Interview Questions

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UBS (Stamford, CT) in April 2012.

Interview

First round consisted of a Phone interview, then invited to superday at Stamford...3 1:1 interviews, and then a group case study. All competency questions. Were a pain to get re-compensated for travel there. Also, interviewees were hit or miss, some being rude, while others were quite nice. They gave us lunch. HR reps. were a bit abrasive.

Interview Questions

• You've told me what you like doing, what do you hate doing?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for UBS

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UBS (Stamford, CT) in March 2011.

Interview

Currently a Junior at an undergraduate business school. UBS was recruiting on campus for On Campus Recruitment (or OCR) so I applied through my school's career site and UBS's career page as well (both required). Was contacted via email by my school. Schedule an interview with and met with the regional director in the Northeast. It was very informal but unlike my other interviews, he was not as social or friendly. Got a second round/superday. Flew from Ithaca to JFK, all expenses paid. Then took the train to Stamford. Arrived and then greeted by HR. Was taken into a room full of other candidates, mostly kids in top 30 schools (Cornell, Columbia, NYU, Rutgers, etc). Given a schedule of who and when we're interviewing. Had a few back to back interviews as well as a few 1v1 and 2v2. People here are very diverse not only in terms of demographics but also personality wise. Some were pretty social and friendly, some were very strict and business like. After individual interviews, we were taken into another room for a "presentation". It was basically a group project where we discuss what to do about a certain situation. After that, we were taken for a tour of the trading floor. Not that impressed, but it was pretty big. They seemed really proud of it. Overall the whole process was very organized and somewhat exciting and enjoyable. Everyone was very professional and polite, although there were a few exceptions. The interviewing style of my the analysts are more causal while the higher up and more "down to business" type. They are mostly looking for fit and to see if you are smart and capable. There were one or two technical ones but nothing that you can't answer unless if you even paid slight attention in econ class. I can safely say, compared to my other interviews in middle office/general finance, accounting, wealth management, risk; UBS's process was easily the most organized and the LONGEST by far. Like I mentioned before, it was somewhat enjoyable. You really get a feel of their culture and people once you're there. Back to the interviews itself. UBS' interviewers basically all ask similar questions. Things to really know well since I got asked all of the ones listed (sometimes even more than once) 1) **Why UBS, 2) **Why Operations 3) Your resume 4) A time when you demonstrated leadership and/or teamwork 3) Strength/Weakness 4) **A Time/Project when you added value or improved something 5) **Past accomplishments 6) Why did you leave your last job 7) What motivates you 8) **Easy finance/econ questions 9) stay on top of the markets 10) A book that you read) 11) **Tell me about yourself/your background The ones that has a ** are the more important/more frequently asked ones All in all, I would say two weeks for your resumes to get selected. After you are selected, you wait one week until you scheduled interview. Then if you pass your first round, they'll call you in one more week to tell you when's superday (most of the time it's Thursday or Friday). Then wait another week for superday. After superday, they usually get back to you in 2-3 weeks. So the spread between application and offer is roughly 6-8 weeks.

Interview Questions

• What motivates you and why?   1 Answer
    • Do you know what the price of crude oil is right now? Why do you think it's that.   1 Answer
    • Why Operations?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a book that you've read   1 Answer
    • What is the current state of the economy   1 Answer

Negotiation

No, they pay all analysts the same regardless of other others. I tried leveraging my Citi finance offer, but they would not budge. Did give me a summer bonus, which is nice. I do not know any other banks that does that.

Operations Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at UBS in March 2012.

Interview

I submitted an application through UBS website, and got a call with an invite for a phone interview. The interview was pretty simple, and all behavioral except for one question where he asked what I knew about the European debt crisis. After that, there was a superday at their main office in Stamford. Three one-on-one interviews plus a group assignment in which your three interviewers observe you working with your teammates. The assignment is along of the lines of creating a budget for different programs to train new analysts in the Graduate Training Program. You have to discuss with the others what you think would be the most valuable programs for GTPs. Here are the main things to know: 1) Your resume 2) Why UBS 3) What is Operations 4) Why Operations 5) Be prepared for behavioral all types of behavioral questions 6) Have a stock ready to pitch (some people got that)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you clashed with someone at your previous job.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. HR will be flexible about location if you are persistent (in a respectful manner of course).