UBS Interview Questions in Switzerland

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

2.9

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UBS (Zürich (Switzerland)) in March 2015.

Interview

On time, Very friendly interviewers, relaxed, laid back, curious and not asking the standard questions. Open and transparent. No in-depth questions about the company, CEO, mission, vision. Got an e-mail from HR assistant the week prior to interview suggesting 3 time/date options and upon me asking she confirmed along with details and positions of people interviewing me. All very professional.

Interview Questions

• What did you do before in X job? What did you like the most? What were you passionate about? What magazines do you read? When are you available? What are your salary requirements.   Answer Question

Graduate Training Program (GTP) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UBS.

Interview

Wealth management retail and corporate China and Hongkong desk.

I applied online, after about a month UBS HR called me to arrange two interviews:

first one is with HR. It lasted for 2 hours, which include a 35 minutes numerical test.
    second one is with the line manager and another future colleague. It lasted 1.5 hours, which includes countless questions.

Interview Questions

• I prepared for almost all the typical questions but I missed out these one:
      "If you are interested in the financial industry, what financial newspaper do you follow at the moment?"

1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

it took 4 weeks overall. involved 2 rounds of interview. one HR and one with the product owner.it took 4 weeks overall. involved 2 rounds of interview. one HR and one with the product owner.

Interview Questions

• explain the most satisfying solution provided to a business problem   Answer Question

Risk Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UBS (Zürich (Switzerland)) in October 2014.

Interview

A few days after handing in my CV and cover letter I promptly received a friendly call from a HR lady who wanted to schedule an interview at the Zurich office and we quickly agreed on a date.

The subsequent interview with my potential future supervisor was very straightforward, honest and down-to-earth. There was a surprising lack of the typical BS HR questions. We went through my CV with a particular focus on the job experience related to the opening and finished our 35 minutes conversation with some getting-to-know-each-other and personal questions.

After waiting for two more weeks (I didn't contact them proactively in the meantime because I wasn't certain I really wanted the job and the long commute it entailed) they sent an e-mail (after trying to call first) and didn't offer me the position. Instead, they opted for an applicant who had UBS experience - a move which I can understand and support.

To summarize, the application process with UBS was very positive and professional.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions were asked. The hardest one was explaining a gap in the CV.   Answer Question

Junior Quantitative Analyst, Portfolio Risk Methodology Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UBS (Zürich (Switzerland)) in August 2014.

Interview

1. Phone interview about who I am, what they do, what I can do, how I would fit in.

2. Personal Interview 2:1 with the head of the department and one executive director:
    General questions about my CV, mentioned skills and personality. Not many technical questions, but rather discussions like "What do you think about..., let's discuss."
    Questions were focused on VaR,CVaR models, black-scholes model, arma-garch models, portfolio optimization. They also told me what problems they face in the moment and if I had any ideas how to solve them. They did not expect an actual answer, only ideas about how to approach the problems.

3. Three Personal Interviews (2 weeks later): 1:1, 2:1, 2:1 (1 hour each) with team members:
    Questions about how well I would fit into the team. I had to describe my master thesis in high detail. Afterwards technical questions were raised.
    Programming skills are required, but I did not have any technical questions about that.

In general, the interview atmosphere was very friendly and comfortable.

Interview Questions

• How do I define backtesting, stress testing.
      How to decompose complex structured products into base elements (I had to draw it) in order to assess the risk properties.
      How to make a portfolio delta-neutral with one option.
      What is necessary to also make it gamma-neutral?
      Do I have ideas how to approximate risk of options with the VIX index?
      What algorithms/methods are used to optimize big portfolios?

Answer Question

Associate Director/Quantitative Risk Analyst Interview

Interview

First round technical: Time series, standard statistics / probability theory and option pricing. This include regression, bootstrap, binomial tree etc. Second round: was about the job and the team. This interview was very relaxed. A third interview was with HR, typical HR questions why this job? describe a situation where you were under pressure etc.

Wealth Management/Intern Interview

Interview

First I received a call from the HR regarding the documents I send in. They tested my english skills. All in all it was quite chilled. Then I received an invitation to an interview with the CIO of the WM department.

Interview Questions

• No big surprises. Asked me the typical stuff like why UBS and why WM. Also asked me some stuff about my CV and my experiences in the banking sector.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didnt have one

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UBS in February 2013.

Interview

They Focus a lot on problem solving skills. Think out loud, they want to see how you go about a matter, not if you know the answer. Be honest. UBS employees, management included, tend to be quite normal and approachable people.

Interview Questions

• Why should you want to come work at UBS given all the bad press?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate enough. Getting promoted is tougher these days, so push hard to get hired at a good rank. Speak to the line managers, HR is rather inflexible.

Reporting Expert Interview

Interview

It was a nice interview without any unexpected questions or challenges. Questions asked were matter and work related and can be answered easily if you are prepared as you should be when entering a job interview. There was only one interview with the direct line management and after some days I got their offer.

Cash Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UBS (Zürich (Switzerland)) in August 2012.

Interview

I've had 2 interviews. One 2 H and one 2 1/2 H. This is very long. During this interviews I've discussed with many new collegues and I got a very good Impression of the new team. During the interviews I had some different situations to manage (assessments) and got an Impression what will com with the new Job.

Interview Questions

• The discussion about salery and Bonus was very strange because this discussion happend in a discussion Team with 5 different peaople - not only witj HR and Management.   Answer Question