UC Berkeley

50 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Outreach Representative Interview

Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UC Berkeley.

Interview Details – Easy application process of handing in your resume online. Recruiter will call you randomly (mine was in the evening) and ask you a series of questions related to UC Berkeley, customer relations experience, and scenario questions. If you are selected to go on to the next round, you will have a group interview with about 5 other people.

Interview Question – Would you feel comfortable asking a very low income family for a donation to UC Berkeley?   Answer Question

Front-End Engineer Intern Interview

Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley in December 2013.

Interview Details – The process consisted of a traditional in-person interview at the CET's headquarters (located at the 11th floor of the Chase Bank building outside the Berkeley BART station). Since I interviewed for the Front End, I was mainly asked design questions about how I'd improve certain features of their layouts, followed by a slightly unexpected more technical question about text formatting. Before making their decision, they followed up by making me code up a static page about showcasing a company, which also wasn't that bad. Overall the process took less than 3 weeks.

Interview Question – How would you implement a "see more" functionality in Javascript if all you're given is a long string from the backend?   View Answer

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar
Berkeley, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at UC Berkeley in November 2012.

Interview Details – Postdoc interviews are specific to the lab to which one applies, so the experience will vary. My experience was great. I was put up at the Hotel Durant, which is very nice and fits with the quirky vibe of Berkeley. I met with my prospective PI in the morning, with various lab members throughout the day, gave a 1 hour seminar on my thesis work, and then met with my prospective PI again at the end of the day. I also got free lunch and dinner with lab members at Berkeley restaurants, which was a great opportunity to talk shop without the PI there. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Question – I was asked several in depth questions about my thesis work, but that's what I was expecting, so it didn't surprise me much.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much to negotiate; my postdoc started after I was done finishing up a paper in my thesis lab, and the salary is set by NIH standards.

Instructor Interview

Instructor
Berkeley, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley in February 2013.

Interview Details – Relatively smooth process. I directly asked for a TA position from the instructor prior to my first summer TA'ing. I TA'ed for the class for three years. I was then offered the co-instructor position the following year after continued strong display of effort.

Very Easy Interview

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley in February 2012.

Interview Details – I emailed with my previous teaching experience. Got accepted

Interview Question – You have to ask the professor every day.   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Program Assistant
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Berkeley in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online for this newly created position in early November 2013, but was not contacted for a phone screen until early February 2014.

During the 15-minute phone screen, I was asked: my reasons for applying; specific questions about my most recent positions; my experience with research, strategic planning, and admin support; how I would work with staff who have multiple conflicting deadlines; my leadership and communication style.

They contacted me the next day, informing me that they would not be moving forward with a formal interview, which likely would've been a panel interview.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with strategic planning? Considering we're a growing organization, what steps would you take to implement this plan? What is your experience with short and long-term goals?   Answer Question
  • Describe in detail how you carried out XYZ job duties for this position.   Answer Question

Program Manager, Alumni and Student Relations Interview

Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley.

Interview Details – This was an entry level position and therefore the questions focused on my experience. My most applicable experience was my volunteer experience, so I expanded on how that would translate to the job and my love of connecting people.

Interview Question – What do you think is the future of college reunions?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered a salary and I was able to easily raise it by $2K just be asking on the phone.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley.

Interview Details – I applied after seeing an ad on NatureJobs and was contacted about a week later to come in and give a presentation. The presentation and subsequent interviews lasted about 6 hours, although this process differs dramatically from lab to lab. I chatted with the PI after interviewing with everyone in the lab and she offered me a position right away. In my case, this was a very easy process.

Interview Question – No hard or unexpected questions came up.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The postdoc pay scale is based on NIH guidelines.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar
Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Berkeley in April 2010.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview and was then invited for a 2-day on-campus interview where I was asked to provide a 40-50 minute presentation on my research. The interview included one-on-one meeting time with my prospective boss as well as casual time interacting with prospective lab mates. Overall, the interview was intense but relatively informal.

Interview Question – I did not receive any formal interview questions.   Answer Question

Development Technician V Interview

Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UC Berkeley in September 2010.

Interview Details – Found this job on Craigslist and responded by sending resume by email. Immediately booked for an interview the following week where I showed up with portfolios, drawings, and samples of my work. There was a round table of the Dept. head, facilities/operations manager and the representative superintendent from the machine shop I would be working out of. Each interviewer had specific concerns which I had to respond to often at the same time. Having my physical examples on the table, I was able to occupy each person by pointing to specific visual examples of experiences and juggle the interview. At a certain level I was controlling the interview with interesting stories of work experiences.

After about 45 minutes I was told they would get back to me, nice to meet you etc.. The next day I was contacted for a second interview and reported to the Machine Shop and met the Engineering Superintendent who started to tour me around. I had questions about procedures, techniques, protocols, materials, and such that were answered with the additional knowing look from someone who can tell you know what you are doing by the questions one asks. When I got home the job offer was waiting for me on the computer. A formal offer was sent vie e-mail the next day and with my acceptance it was a done deal.

Interview Question – Your work looks excellent, clean, even beautiful; but are you going to be able to really get your hands dirty when I need you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me more than the posting and I accepted, no negotiations.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for UC Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC Berkeley interview questions and advice in Berkeley, CA. All 50 interview reviews posted anonymously by UC Berkeley employees and interview candidates.