UC Berkeley

103 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Caller Interview

Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UC Berkeley.

Interview Details – I sent in a resume and cover letter online. The manager immediately replied and said he would be interested in scheduling a phone interview. The interview was brief, easy and fun. I believe the manager wanted to make sure I was sociable on the phone. Afterward, a similar 1:1 live interview. I later heard back that I could come to a training on "getting in the door" and other sales techniques (paid to attend training). Once the training ended, I was brought on as a caller.

Interview Question – How would you handle a situation where someone wanted to give to Cal, but simply "did not have the money"?   Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

Interviewed at UC Berkeley

Interview Details – There are two rounds for the interview process. There are single interviews where you speak to RDs and current RAs, and then there are group interviews where RAs and RDs observe how you interact with other potential individuals for the position. It is not a matter of who talks the most, or who listens the most, it is completely arbitrary and up to the RD observing. One female RD that I observed alongside, was extremely sexist. Every male potential that interviewed received 0-1, whereas every female potential received 4-5 (out of 5). She solely stated that the males deserved such low scores because they were exercising their male authority. I was completely dumbfounded, but in my position I can't really talk back to the RD anyway.

Interview Question – Nothing in particular, just be weary of body language, tone, courtesy, "airtime", and other nonverbal characteristics during the group interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Administrative Assistant III Interview

UC Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley in April 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewing there usually involved a panel of people, although in the beginning of my employment there (1980) I only had to speak to one person.

Interview Question – Nothing more or less difficult than the usual interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted whatever was offered initially; later on my performance dictated my salary increases, and at the end my being at the top of my salary range limited my increases.

Outreach Representative Interview

Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UC Berkeley.

Interview Details – Easy application process of handing in your resume online. Recruiter will call you randomly (mine was in the evening) and ask you a series of questions related to UC Berkeley, customer relations experience, and scenario questions. If you are selected to go on to the next round, you will have a group interview with about 5 other people.

Interview Question – Would you feel comfortable asking a very low income family for a donation to UC Berkeley?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UC Berkeley in September 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process is very thorough at the Extension. There will be multiple interviews with various teams to evaluate your fit within the organization. Very professional procedures for the hiring process, but it took over two months to complete.

Interview Question – How would you change our web marketing strategy?   View Answer

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
UC Berkeley, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Berkeley in March 2012.

Interview Details – Apply to the school, to the department in which you want to study. Make your application as competitive as possible. In our department, you specify a few PI's who you'd want to work with, and they get a copy of your application (if you make some initial cut). Then, they will decide if they want to have you come in for an 'informal' interview. This was my experience.

Interview Question – What would you do to help us with this problem we're trying to solve?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – "we hope you can join us"

Front-End Engineer Intern Interview

Berkeley, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley in December 2013.

Interview Details – The process consisted of a traditional in-person interview at the CET's headquarters (located at the 11th floor of the Chase Bank building outside the Berkeley BART station). Since I interviewed for the Front End, I was mainly asked design questions about how I'd improve certain features of their layouts, followed by a slightly unexpected more technical question about text formatting. Before making their decision, they followed up by making me code up a static page about showcasing a company, which also wasn't that bad. Overall the process took less than 3 weeks.

Interview Question – How would you implement a "see more" functionality in Javascript if all you're given is a long string from the backend?   View Answer

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar
Berkeley, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at UC Berkeley in November 2012.

Interview Details – Postdoc interviews are specific to the lab to which one applies, so the experience will vary. My experience was great. I was put up at the Hotel Durant, which is very nice and fits with the quirky vibe of Berkeley. I met with my prospective PI in the morning, with various lab members throughout the day, gave a 1 hour seminar on my thesis work, and then met with my prospective PI again at the end of the day. I also got free lunch and dinner with lab members at Berkeley restaurants, which was a great opportunity to talk shop without the PI there. Overall, it was a great experience.

Interview Question – I was asked several in depth questions about my thesis work, but that's what I was expecting, so it didn't surprise me much.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much to negotiate; my postdoc started after I was done finishing up a paper in my thesis lab, and the salary is set by NIH standards.

Undergraduate Student Instructor Interview

Interviewed at UC Berkeley

Interview Details – Simple email correspondence with coordinator of GSIs

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Instructor Interview

Instructor
Berkeley, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UC Berkeley in February 2013.

Interview Details – Relatively smooth process. I directly asked for a TA position from the instructor prior to my first summer TA'ing. I TA'ed for the class for three years. I was then offered the co-instructor position the following year after continued strong display of effort.

Interviews for Top Jobs at UC Berkeley

Worked for UC Berkeley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC Berkeley interview questions and advice. All 103 interview reviews posted anonymously by UC Berkeley employees and interview candidates.