UC Davis Graduate Student Researcher Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.6

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Interview

I contacted several PIs about graduate student opportunities in their labs and the funding situation. I had phone conversations with them about these opportunities before my interview in the spring.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for UC Davis

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at UC Davis (Davis, CA).

Interview

Not much. I met with the PI for a brief meeting, talked about the project, and then got an email a week or so later with my salary and benefits.

Interview Questions

• I really don't remember. There weren't really any questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really aren't any in grad school, I think?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at UC Davis (Davis, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Easy and straightforward, more of a getting to know you than actual interview. Talked with multipled professors and met other students in the department. The interview lasted a few hours and I learned a lot about the school and department.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UC Davis in July 2008.

Interview

online applications, phone screen, phone interview, onsite interview, check background (education bacground and finance background), get offer, and accept offer

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at UC Davis in June 2008.

Interview

The application process consisted of submitting GRE test scores, a statement of purpose describing why you'd be a good fit for the school and what you plan to get out of it while there. It also required transcripts and three letters of recommendations from professors who you either worked for or knew through courses taken. Application can be reviewed early if one applies for early admissions.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to accomplish at UC Davis while at graduate school?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UC Davis in March 2008.

Interview

One of the future employer called me, asked me about my previous work, and what their current work is, and asking me if i'm interested in working on their project. I was more interested in one of their other works, but it seems they already have somebody working on that project, so i was asked if i want to work on the other project instead. Although the other project is not that interesting to me at that point, I still accepted it. However, the other project turn out better than I expected, so i'm glad i accepted the offer.

Interview Questions

• Have you had experience on distributed systems? what kind of systems have you built?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Basically they are trying to find someone with experiences matching their project. Since it's a research position, it's all about match or not, not much space for negotiation either.