UC Davis

68 candidate interviews

Program Representative II Interview

Program Representative II
Fresno, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UC Davis in March 2010.

Interview Details – This was a very thorough interview process that included several mock scenarios, writing samples and a background check.

Interview Question – Choose one of the items on the table (a jump rope or bag of pretzels) and sell it to us.   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor
Davis, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at UC Davis in October 2011.

Interview Details – My survival advice for convention interviews is:

1. Be prepared. Be sure that you have researched the school so that you have ascertained their needs and can direct your remarks to what they appear to need. This includes knowing who's on the staff, who teaches what and how territorial the place is. You don't want to outline a course that someone else is already very invested in teaching. I prepare a cram sheet for each interview that records my research for the job, my analysis of their needs, and the anticipated questions I'll need to address. It also includes the questions I want to ask them.
2. Strike fast. Try to establish your candidacy in the first 5 minutes of the interview. The standard pieces of advice for business interviews apply here, too. Look people in the eye. Answer questions succinctly. Have ready good snappy short and medium length answers to the standard questions. DO NOT drone on for 15 minutes about the minutiae of your dissertation.

3. It's an old cliche, but try to relax and be yourself. Don't try to hide who you are. Be careful about creating different personas for different interviews at the convention. You will be seeing search committee members throughout the weekend and you need to remember who you are for each encounter. Believe in your skills and give it your best shot.

4. Dress distinctively (but don't violate too many conventions). After 2-3 days trapped in a hotel room interviewing, search committee members are completely fried or bored or both. It'll be hard to remember you if you looked and dressed like every other candidate.

Interview Question – Describe your plans for obtaining external funding.   Answer Question

PhD Student, Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

PhD Student, Graduate Teaching Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UC Davis in September 2011.

Interview Details – I don't have much to say: when you apply for a PhD you also apply for a TA position. If they find you valuable they offer the position and the TA position, which allows for having the fees waived. Once got in you have to pass a test with the Department chair to be sure you are able to teach.

Analyst III Interview

Analyst III
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Davis in July 2008.

Interview Details – Online application with great care for matching keywords with the ones in the job description and requirements otherwise high chance of the application being rejected. First interview was a phone interview aiming to screen candidates and making the job seem fairly unatractive with the aim of negotiating it towards an entry-level position or the lowest salary scale for the announced position. Once terms were accepted proceeded to a 1:1 interview and questions were fairly difficult for the position level as to giving negotiating power to the hiring manager during the final steps of the hiring process.

Interview Question – Althought the position was announced as a permanent position, the hiring manager stated the offer was only good for two months subject to renewal. Then asked if I was still interested.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate anything, the hiring manager was quite unflexible.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Davis in January 2010.

Interview Details – Started off with exchanging emails with the professor I wanted to work with. Next was a phone interview that lasted about 45 minutes, with details discussions on technical know how and project development. This was followed by a day long visit to the lab, involving a seminar by me for 45 minutes, and several one-on-ones and one-on-twos, about 6 in total. I was told of the outcome about 19 business days later.

Interview Question – How would you develop an assay to measure a certain phenotype in an organism?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate as they said the salary was fixed on a UC Scale.

Human Resources Analyst - Supervisor Interview

Human Resources Analyst - Supervisor
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at UC Davis in May 2010.

Interview Details – Formal interview w/7-member panel. Round table discussion with 22 questions. I was allowed to review the questions for 15 minutes prior to interview. The interview was scheduled for 45-60 minutes but lasted 1 hr 20 min. Panel was serious but relaxed, questions moderate-difficult, interview ended in mutual laughter.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was: "Tell us about your experience managing a personnel situation that had a potential legal impact. What role did you play? With whom did you consult? What was the result? " It is difficult to give good examples of these types of situations and maintain confidentiality. This is especially difficult in a campus where there is 6-degrees of separation and most people make the right connection when giving examples even when discretion is used.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a salary that was close to my current salary for a new job which was considered a one level promotion and included a supervisory component. Of course this was not appropriate and since the campus had not realized a merit in several years, I felt it was the right time to negotiate a fair compensation for the work I would be expected to perform. I discussed my background, experience, skills in relation to peers and successfully negotiated a higher salary based on these and other factors.

Producer/Director Interview

Producer/Director
Davis, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UC Davis in June 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a panel, 4 people in the department, one from anther department. I was asked mostly technical questions, but then some about my experience and working style. The interview was scripted, all the questions were pre-written, and the same questions were asked of all candidates. I heard back a week later.

Interview Question – Most difficult questions were the technical questions - very specific cases about audio-video special cases and scenarios.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered more than I was expecting, so I was not the strongest negotiator. I asked for one step above what they offered me. (UC job pay grades are in "steps")

Marketing Student Manager Interview

Marketing Student Manager

I applied online and interviewed at UC Davis.

Interview Details – Applied online then received an email to set up an in-person interview few weeks later. Interviewed with the Marketing Coordinator and the out-going Marketing Student Manager. The interview ranged from personality based and exploratory questions to position specific questions regarding marketing and branding. The overall interview took about an hour with a hypothetical scenario exercise which is meant to be done on the spot. This hypothetical scenario has now changed where candidates are told beforehand what to prepare. Overall, the experience was a positive one, the length of the interview can be tiring but the interviewers put forth as much effort as you exhibit. Relax, be yourself and take your time in your answers.

Interview Question – Here's a stack of post-its, sell them to us. What's your marketing strategy for them?   Answer Question

Career Counselor Interview

Career Counselor

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UC Davis.

Interview Details – Meeting with Deans and directors

Interview Question – How can you add value to this position.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at UC Davis in December 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring and interviewing process is handled directly by HR. They contact you and set up a meeting with your future department, if not, interview you themselves. Everything goes pretty smoothly by schedule. After your interview it takes about 3-5 business days for them to reach a decision. The interview was business casual, I didn't need to wear a tie. If you do get hired for the job, you have to attend a mass hiring signup event where you do a bunch of paperwork to become a university employee.

Interview Question – What your GPA is and why it isn't higher.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable, salary was stated on job ad.

Interviews for Top Jobs at UC Davis

Worked for UC Davis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC Davis interview questions and advice. All 68 interview reviews posted anonymously by UC Davis employees and interview candidates.