UC Davis

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Student Assistant II/Student Telephone Fundraiser Interview

Student Assistant II/Student Telephone Fundraiser

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at UC Davis in May 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted online PDF application and was called back the same day for a single phone interview. Hiring manager was very personable and easy to talk to. Asked straight forward questions. Following training program was time consuming but they were willing to work around people's schedules so long as they're given advanced notice.

Interview Question – Have you ever been late to your previous work?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations but opportunities for raises every quarter.

Programmer III Interview

Programmer III
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC Davis in September 2013.

Interview Details – I received their call to interview 1 week after applying for this job. The Interview was about 20 questions. The interview was conducted by 5 people. The main Interview person was good, but the other people didn't seem competent. One of the panel person was drawing flowers on his paper instead of writing notes about interview.

Interview Question – The questions were easy. Not very technical questions   Answer Question

Marketing Student Manager Interview

Marketing Student Manager

I applied online and interviewed at UC Davis.

Interview Details – Applied online then received an email to set up an in-person interview few weeks later. Interviewed with the Marketing Coordinator and the out-going Marketing Student Manager. The interview ranged from personality based and exploratory questions to position specific questions regarding marketing and branding. The overall interview took about an hour with a hypothetical scenario exercise which is meant to be done on the spot. This hypothetical scenario has now changed where candidates are told beforehand what to prepare. Overall, the experience was a positive one, the length of the interview can be tiring but the interviewers put forth as much effort as you exhibit. Relax, be yourself and take your time in your answers.

Interview Question – Here's a stack of post-its, sell them to us. What's your marketing strategy for them?   Answer Question

Producer/Director Interview

Producer/Director
Davis, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UC Davis in June 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a panel, 4 people in the department, one from anther department. I was asked mostly technical questions, but then some about my experience and working style. The interview was scripted, all the questions were pre-written, and the same questions were asked of all candidates. I heard back a week later.

Interview Question – Most difficult questions were the technical questions - very specific cases about audio-video special cases and scenarios.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered more than I was expecting, so I was not the strongest negotiator. I asked for one step above what they offered me. (UC job pay grades are in "steps")

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Graduate Teaching Assistant

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at UC Davis.

Interview Details – I got this job as a condition of my admittance to graduate school - I was offered 5 years of support as a PhD student. There was no interview involved, but I submitted transcripts, letters of recommendation, test scores, personal statements etc.

Interview Question – Why do you want to go to graduate school   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They admitted me to graduate school and I accepted. I did not have the opportunity to negotiate the terms of my admittance, so there was no negotiation phase.

Student Assistant II Interview

Student Assistant II

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UC Davis.

Interview Details – Found on Aggie Job Link, one interview

Interview Question – Do you have experience with mundane, repetitive tasks?   Answer Question

Student Assistant II Interview

Student Assistant II

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UC Davis.

Interview Details – Very relaxed and conversational interview. Typical interview to see career and education plans and goals.

Interview Question – Is money absolutely necessary?   Answer Question

Human Resources Analyst - Supervisor Interview

Human Resources Analyst - Supervisor
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at UC Davis in May 2010.

Interview Details – Formal interview w/7-member panel. Round table discussion with 22 questions. I was allowed to review the questions for 15 minutes prior to interview. The interview was scheduled for 45-60 minutes but lasted 1 hr 20 min. Panel was serious but relaxed, questions moderate-difficult, interview ended in mutual laughter.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was: "Tell us about your experience managing a personnel situation that had a potential legal impact. What role did you play? With whom did you consult? What was the result? " It is difficult to give good examples of these types of situations and maintain confidentiality. This is especially difficult in a campus where there is 6-degrees of separation and most people make the right connection when giving examples even when discretion is used.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a salary that was close to my current salary for a new job which was considered a one level promotion and included a supervisory component. Of course this was not appropriate and since the campus had not realized a merit in several years, I felt it was the right time to negotiate a fair compensation for the work I would be expected to perform. I discussed my background, experience, skills in relation to peers and successfully negotiated a higher salary based on these and other factors.

Student Administrative Assistant Interview

Student Administrative Assistant

Interviewed at UC Davis

Interview Details – It asked the basic questions and few behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Why should we choose you?   View Answer

Lead Java Applications Developer Interview

Lead Java Applications Developer
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at UC Davis in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for the position on their website. After a few days, they arranged a phone interview, which lasted about 30 minutes. The interview is technical oriented. The questions are mostly focused on Java, JSP and Spring MVC.

Interview Question – How do you pass variables between two JSP pages and how do you do it between a controller servlet and a JSP page?   View Answer