UC Davis

Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.7

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at UC Davis.

Not much. I met with the PI for a brief meeting, talked about the project, and then got an email a week or so later with my salary and benefits.

Interview Questions
    • I really don't remember. There weren't really any questions.   Answer Question
    There really aren't any in grad school, I think?

Student Caller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I applied online – interviewed at UC Davis in August 2012.

basic, answer a couple questions

Peer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UC Davis in August 2012.

Had a quick interview/chat about the position in May. Went through application process and interview with a few of the staff there in the summer. Interview consisted of mostly behavioral questions and questions about my previous experiences

None

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UC Davis in June 2012.

Professional process. Asked 10-15 questions about your graphic design experience. Asked to show your portfolio at the end. Very standard interview.

Interview Questions
    • Branding is a huge concept. Understand that and you will flourish.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UC Davis in May 2012.

It was not hard at all.

Interview Questions
    • There was none other than about experience related to the job.   Answer Question

Lab Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at UC Davis in May 2012.

Asked about my previous research project and specifics about my project, friendly interview with the PI. Asked about my career goals and availability. short in duration 20-30 mins.

Student Assistant III Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at UC Davis in April 2012.

Will you have transportation to work? If so how?
    How can you handle multiple tasks at the same time?
    What is your typing speed?
    How would you handle work and school (and internship)...knowing you need to work 15 hours a week?

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about a boss who doesn't know the steps of your job?   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UC Davis in October 2011.

My survival advice for convention interviews is:

1. Be prepared. Be sure that you have researched the school so that you have ascertained their needs and can direct your remarks to what they appear to need. This includes knowing who's on the staff, who teaches what and how territorial the place is. You don't want to outline a course that someone else is already very invested in teaching. I prepare a cram sheet for each interview that records my research for the job, my analysis of their needs, and the anticipated questions I'll need to address. It also includes the questions I want to ask them.
    2. Strike fast. Try to establish your candidacy in the first 5 minutes of the interview. The standard pieces of advice for business interviews apply here, too. Look people in the eye. Answer questions succinctly. Have ready good snappy short and medium length answers to the standard questions. DO NOT drone on for 15 minutes about the minutiae of your dissertation.

3. It's an old cliche, but try to relax and be yourself. Don't try to hide who you are. Be careful about creating different personas for different interviews at the convention. You will be seeing search committee members throughout the weekend and you need to remember who you are for each encounter. Believe in your skills and give it your best shot.

4. Dress distinctively (but don't violate too many conventions). After 2-3 days trapped in a hotel room interviewing, search committee members are completely fried or bored or both. It'll be hard to remember you if you looked and dressed like every other candidate.

AA III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UC Davis in August 2011.

The best way to get into the UC System is through their TES (Temp. Employment Services). Once in you have a better shot at a career position. It took over 24 applications while temping to get an interview. The whole process takes time -

If they want you they will negotiate!

Student Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davis, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at UC Davis in June 2011.

Asked about how to properly advise students under different scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you had to help a student and a supervisor at the same time?   View Answer