UC Davis

Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Specialist Interview

Research Specialist
Davis, CA

I applied online - interviewed at UC Davis in September 2010.

Interview Details – Email communications, phone interview. Depends on the funding situation

Interview Question – One scientific question for my research project   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Happy with the deal

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Davis, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UC Davis in September 2009.

Interview Details – The application was online, it was pretty easy, and straightforward. I was notified by email about the interview location and date.

Interview Question – I was under the impression it was going to be a one on one interview, but actually it was a group interview! I had never had one before, and when I realized that I was incredibly nervous, but then I realized no one knew so we kind of all were in the same boat together. it was a big oval desk, with 4 interviewers a about 10 applicants. they went around randomly and asked questions, after we all introduced ourselves. They asked us, why we wanted to work there and what we could provide for the ARC.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a call 2 -3 days later telling me that I got the job if I choose it, and I said yes and we set up my first day of training/work.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Davis in January 2010.

Interview Details – Started off with exchanging emails with the professor I wanted to work with. Next was a phone interview that lasted about 45 minutes, with details discussions on technical know how and project development. This was followed by a day long visit to the lab, involving a seminar by me for 45 minutes, and several one-on-ones and one-on-twos, about 6 in total. I was told of the outcome about 19 business days later.

Interview Question – How would you develop an assay to measure a certain phenotype in an organism?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate as they said the salary was fixed on a UC Scale.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UC Davis in May 2012.

Interview Details – It was not hard at all.

Interview Question – There was none other than about experience related to the job.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Lab Technician Interview

Lab Technician
Raleigh, NC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UC Davis in January 2011.

Interview Details – phone then office

Interview Question – will i work overtime for free   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – pay was low

Student Caller Interview

Student Caller
Davis, CA

I applied online - interviewed at UC Davis in August 2012.

Interview Details – basic, answer a couple questions

Interview Question – what super hero would you be?   Answer Question

Analyst III Interview

Analyst III
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Davis in July 2008.

Interview Details – Online application with great care for matching keywords with the ones in the job description and requirements otherwise high chance of the application being rejected. First interview was a phone interview aiming to screen candidates and making the job seem fairly unatractive with the aim of negotiating it towards an entry-level position or the lowest salary scale for the announced position. Once terms were accepted proceeded to a 1:1 interview and questions were fairly difficult for the position level as to giving negotiating power to the hiring manager during the final steps of the hiring process.

Interview Question – Althought the position was announced as a permanent position, the hiring manager stated the offer was only good for two months subject to renewal. Then asked if I was still interested.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I was unable to negotiate anything, the hiring manager was quite unflexible.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
Davis, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UC Davis.

Interview Details – Not much. I met with the PI for a brief meeting, talked about the project, and then got an email a week or so later with my salary and benefits.

Interview Question – I really don't remember. There weren't really any questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really aren't any in grad school, I think?

Lab Specialist Interview

Lab Specialist
Davis, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at UC Davis in May 2012.

Interview Details – Asked about my previous research project and specifics about my project, friendly interview with the PI. Asked about my career goals and availability. short in duration 20-30 mins.

Interview Question – What do you know about my research in the Lab?   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Lab Assistant
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UC Davis in February 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by email for an interview by the administrative assistant. I called back and scheduled an in person interview for the following week. I was interviewed by the two PIs of the laboratory as well as the administrative assistant. Everyone was very friendly. I was asked basic questions including tell me about yourself and questions regarding the responsibilities of the position. The interview was followed by a tour of the laboratory by the PIs and I met some of the postdocs on the tour.

Interview Question – Do you have experience with grant writing and preparations?   Answer Question