UC Davis

Relevance Date Difficulty

Student Graphic Designer Interview

Student Graphic Designer
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UC Davis in June 2010.

Interview Details – Was Contacted by Marketing Manager, given three time slots and interviewed at the ARC although the office was located at the Memorial Union.

Once there, I was interviewed by the current student marketing manager and the Faculty Manager. The interview was about 1.5 hours long, they had many questions regarding my past experiences, my resume, my portfolio and projects I've done. They also asked many scenario questions relating to my potential position and I brought past experiences to deal with it.

Knowledge for the company and its branches is a must, and understanding what the role as well as what the company does for other units is important.

Interview Question – They brought in past pieces and asked me to critique and judge them.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pay

Very Easy Interview

Ad Manager Interview

Ad Manager
Davis, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC Davis in November 2012.

Interview Details – Initial communication then two interviews. Had to start as an ad representative.

Interview Question – How will you increase revenue.   View Answer

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at UC Davis in June 2012.

Interview Details – Professional process. Asked 10-15 questions about your graphic design experience. Asked to show your portfolio at the end. Very standard interview.

Interview Question – Branding is a huge concept. Understand that and you will flourish.   Answer Question

Staff Research Associate I Interview

Staff Research Associate I
Davis, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UC Davis in January 2011.

Interview Details – There was only one interview. It was a panel interview so there were about eight of the staff interviewing me. The staff who were involved in the interview include the Primary Investigators, and other management staff. They asked questions from a pre-printed list that they had, and only strayed from that list for me to further explain an answer I gave to them. They did not really react positively or negatively when I was being interviewed.

Interview Question – If you find a coworker who is going against procedure, what would you do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate

Programmer II Interview

Programmer II
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at UC Davis in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online through the UC Davis website and was contacted via email to schedule an interview after about two weeks. The interview was with a panel of three people. It was a pretty relaxed and light-hearted atmosphere, overall. After a single interview, I received an offer after a few days.

Interview Question – A good deal of definitions and terminology tested rather than coding ability.   Answer Question

Senior Graphic Designer Interview

Senior Graphic Designer
Davis, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Davis in January 2010.

Interview Details – Large panel for first interview. Friendly and casual. Pleasant experience.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you disagreed with a superior. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Peer Advisor Interview

Peer Advisor
Davis, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC Davis in August 2012.

Interview Details – Had a quick interview/chat about the position in May. Went through application process and interview with a few of the staff there in the summer. Interview consisted of mostly behavioral questions and questions about my previous experiences

Interview Question – normal behavioral questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Programmer III Interview

Programmer III
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC Davis in September 2013.

Interview Details – I received their call to interview 1 week after applying for this job. The Interview was about 20 questions. The interview was conducted by 5 people. The main Interview person was good, but the other people didn't seem competent. One of the panel person was drawing flowers on his paper instead of writing notes about interview.

Interview Question – The questions were easy. Not very technical questions   Answer Question

Producer/Director Interview

Producer/Director
Davis, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UC Davis in June 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed with a panel, 4 people in the department, one from anther department. I was asked mostly technical questions, but then some about my experience and working style. The interview was scripted, all the questions were pre-written, and the same questions were asked of all candidates. I heard back a week later.

Interview Question – Most difficult questions were the technical questions - very specific cases about audio-video special cases and scenarios.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered more than I was expecting, so I was not the strongest negotiator. I asked for one step above what they offered me. (UC job pay grades are in "steps")

Human Resources Analyst - Supervisor Interview

Human Resources Analyst - Supervisor
Davis, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at UC Davis in May 2010.

Interview Details – Formal interview w/7-member panel. Round table discussion with 22 questions. I was allowed to review the questions for 15 minutes prior to interview. The interview was scheduled for 45-60 minutes but lasted 1 hr 20 min. Panel was serious but relaxed, questions moderate-difficult, interview ended in mutual laughter.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was: "Tell us about your experience managing a personnel situation that had a potential legal impact. What role did you play? With whom did you consult? What was the result? " It is difficult to give good examples of these types of situations and maintain confidentiality. This is especially difficult in a campus where there is 6-degrees of separation and most people make the right connection when giving examples even when discretion is used.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered a salary that was close to my current salary for a new job which was considered a one level promotion and included a supervisory component. Of course this was not appropriate and since the campus had not realized a merit in several years, I felt it was the right time to negotiate a fair compensation for the work I would be expected to perform. I discussed my background, experience, skills in relation to peers and successfully negotiated a higher salary based on these and other factors.

Worked for UC Davis? Contribute to the Community!