UC Irvine

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.8

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

The job interview process can be lengthy. Being interviewed once and getting a job offer is typically a thing of the past. Today, many companies have an involved interview process starting with screening interviews, followed by in-person interviews, second interviews and even third interviews

Position Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UC Irvine.

Talk and interview. Met with most of the faculty. It is a typical interview process for a faculty position. I met with faculty who had common interests with me which I thought was very positive. The whole process was very friendly.

Interview Questions
    I was able to negotiate a somewhat higher salary and also a higher startup package.

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied online – interviewed at UC Irvine.

Panel interviews seem to be the norm. I was interviewed by 5 people simultaneously. They called it popcorn style and questions were directed at me from all members of the panel in a somewhat random order. After advancing to the next round, I was asked to answer a case and submit my input in writing, rather than a presentation.

Student Affairs Officer Interview

It was an interesting process. It depends on which department you are interviews for, but most of the questions were to fit and experience questions. The office environment seemed very upbeat and everyone seemed to genuinely be good colleagues .

Interview Questions
    • What was my favorite color and how it relates to the person I am.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UC Irvine.

Applied via their website and was called rather quickly. Set up an interview with the Director of the program that week. Immediately after finishing the interview with the Director, I was taken to the neighboring coworker's office and sat for another interview with her. I was also walked around the office being introduced to others. I believe this is so that everyone can get a feel for your fit, even if they aren't directly interviewing you. A few days later, I was invited back for a third and final interview with the most senior colleague which ending up being very casual and conversational. It was definitely the easiest interview of the the three.

Interview Questions
    I did not negotiate but my salary increased annually

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at UC Irvine.

The interview was very simple and straightforward. They just asked how I would teach the course I was applying to teach and I told them and they wanted lots of past references to talk to about my teaching experience. I had to give examples of my teaching methodology and samples of past courses taught with samples of materials and past student evaluations. It was not hard it was just tedious. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Give me examples of how you will teach your material.   View Answer
    None, they just say this is what we have budgeted for this, take it or leave it!

Undergraduate Researcher Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at UC Irvine.

In order to be considered for an interview a resume must be submitted to the professor. If the professor likes your resume be ready to answer questions about the projects/experience you have had before. During the interview the professor measures up your personality and how you react under pressure with different types of questions. Also, specific questions can be asked about anything you put on your resume.

Interview Questions
    • He asked questions about the Projects I worked on. Also, asked question about my work ethic.   Answer Question

Tutor Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at UC Irvine.

The LARC office sends out an email to all students with GPAs above 3.25 who also did exceptionally well in specific subjects. The student then has a certain amount of time to fill out an application, which includes his/her unofficial transcript and two faculty recommendations. Turn in the application as soon as possible, especially if your GPA is closer to 3.25, because a big part of the decision to invite the applicant for an interview comes from the early submission time of your application. The interview is a group interview, with about 2-3 other applicants and is pretty relaxed. My interviewer emphasized relaxation and no judgement throughout the interview. They ask questions ranging from what do you think are three characteristics a great tutor should have to would you be open to hang out with other tutors and attend LARC socials? They care about providing a sense of community and understanding in the LARC program because that's really how a tutor should be with his/her students.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation; take the job because it was one of the best experiences throughout my college career.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UC Irvine.

Standard Graduate School Application

Interview Questions
    • Standard Application Process. Rather opaque, but that's standard.   Answer Question

Executive Director of Center for Autism Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UC Irvine in February 2014.

The initial call was a phone interview to debrief me about the job description, discuss the details of this job description and salary and benefits it offers. A more in depth interview with a committee will take place late March. There will be more opportunities to learn about this role and ask questions then.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   View Answer