UC Irvine

Relevance Date Difficulty

Lecturer Interview

Lecturer
Irvine, CA

I applied in-person and interviewed at UC Irvine.

Interview Details – The interview was very simple and straightforward. They just asked how I would teach the course I was applying to teach and I told them and they wanted lots of past references to talk to about my teaching experience. I had to give examples of my teaching methodology and samples of past courses taught with samples of materials and past student evaluations. It was not hard it was just tedious. Good luck!

Interview Question – Give me examples of how you will teach your material.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None, they just say this is what we have budgeted for this, take it or leave it!

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
Irvine, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UC Irvine in March 2010.

Interview Details – Applied via online application, submitted transcripts and letters of recommendation, got a spot.

Negotiation Details – None

Operations Crew Member Interview

Operations Crew Member
Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC Irvine in September 2010.

Interview Details – They call you to schedule an interview. The interview itself is in a board room, sometimes with a group of other or sometimes just one on one. They ask you questions and even lead with an icebreaker.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Once they accept you and you accept the position you are called in for an info session where you set up how you get paid.

Programmer/Analyst II Interview

Programmer/Analyst II
Irvine, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at UC Irvine in January 2011.

Interview Details – A phone screen is given to make sure you know what you're doing. No brain teasing programming puzzles or anything like that but you need to know the technologies used at the position you are applying.

Interview Question – Implement an algorithm that takes two numbers and returns the result of the first number to the power of the second.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous
Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC Irvine.

Interview Details – Interview was straight-forward and not intimidating. Questions were job-related so if you understand what the job is about you will be fine. Mostly common sense questions.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher
Irvine, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at UC Irvine in October 2013.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of meeting every person in the lab for approximately 20 minutes. I met with the PI for 1 hour in the morning and was shuffled between people. I went to lunch with the lab members and at the end of the day gave a 1 hour talk on my scientific background and recent publication.

The hiring process was fairly simple. I heard it varies from department to department. The Department of Anatomy was helpful. You should follow up if you haven't heard about parts of your paperwork in a few days. There are lots of post-doctoral researchers, and sometimes they forget.

Interview Question – What specific aims would you propose based on the findings of your last publication.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is pay scale in place by the NIH based on years of experience. You can negotiate moving costs and/or to be hired as more experience based on your resume and technical skill.

Very Easy Interview

Reader Interview

Reader
Irvine, CA

I applied online - interviewed at UC Irvine in January 2014.

Interview Details – The professor just ask me some basic knowledge of C programming.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Postdoctoral Researcher
Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UC Irvine in July 2012.

Interview Details – I sent my academic resume to UCI through a funding agency. They liked the resume and called me for an interview.

Interview Question – General question about my research interests and future plans.   Answer Question

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

Undergraduate Research Assistant
Irvine, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at UC Irvine in November 2011.

Interview Details – Very informal and easy to speak to Advisor. Great mentor and listener.

Interview Question – What do you plan on doing with this research?   Answer Question

Student Affairs Officer Interview

Student Affairs Officer
Irvine, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC Irvine in August 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online to a non-user friendly application system. After a few weeks, I was contacted for an interview. It was a pretty straightforward process. I completed a phone interview and then met with the team in person.

Interview Question – Since this deals with student affairs, there are a lot of scenario based questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Come prepared with a salary in mind and why you deserve it. Unfortunately in this industry, pay is not always the best and sometimes there is nothing that the department can do.

Worked for UC Irvine? Contribute to the Community!