UC San Diego

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.6

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego.

Applied online. Notified of acceptance by letter, and invited to attend a preview weekend to interview with faculty to see which labs would be a good fit for me. NOTE: THIS PROCESS HAS CHANGED AND NOW YOU HAVE TO INTERVIEW BEFORE ACCEPTANCE.

Interview Questions
    • In my case, professors mainly asked about my undergraduate career and background. Then they waited for me to ask my questions about their lab and research.   Answer Question
    They don't negotiate. Its an acceptance/rejection situation, and the stipend/benefits packages are predefined.

Center for Student Involvement - Communication and Leadership - Peer Educator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego.

You had to apply online. After all resume's were reviewed, I was selected for an interview. The Interview consisted with a panel of 4 and also 5 interviewees. It was overall a pretty average interview with typical questions about why are you interested and also how involved you are in school. In addition, it was hard to outshine your peers because they asked each individuals different questions.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was when they told us to get together with the other interviewees to come together and come up with a plan to market an event.   Answer Question
    We just had to sign paperwork saying that we were willing to spend at least 4 hours a week minimum to this internship.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at UC San Diego in October 2014.

I first submitted my resume to the professor. I then had a technical round where he asked me questions about my coursework and projects. I was then offered an opportunity to do a project for a quarter(10 weeks). I did well in it and asked the professor for a a GSR offer.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UC San Diego in October 2014.

Set up meeting with professor to discuss project. Previously emailed professor CV but was asked to elaborate on experience in laboratories and research environments. Introduced to other students in lab and was given a tour of lab equipment. Offered position on the spot.

No negotiation

Water Safety Instructor Interview

Submitted my application through Port Triton and followed up with the head of the department who scheduled an interview within a week.

They are looking for people who have experience teaching swim lessons, preferably with Red Cross/CPR certifications already, and are willing to renew your expired certification if necessary.

Interview was very laid back. Mostly asked about my experiences as a swimmer and teaching swimming. It seemed like they mainly want someone who can communicate well with others.

Interview Questions
    • describe a situation where you had a parent complaining about your lesson, and how you would resolve the issue.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

it went very very fast. i was already a grad student here in the same lab. just had to sign a piece of paper and then i was a postdoc

Student Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego.

The interview consisted of straightforward questions that assessed the interviewee's response to hypothetical work situations/problems and a quick explanation of previous work experience. While, the overall hiring process took a little than a week as there was an orientation going over the pay cycle and policies, in addition to paper work to sign. The overall process was not difficult at all.

Staff Research Associate Interview

It was fun and not to hard at all. you can apply thought the pros. if you already know some of the guys, it definite a plus. so get started now

Residential Dining Food Service Worker Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Diego.

The first step is to apply online. Then, when there are spots that need to be filled, they contact potential employees via e-mail. There is one group interview in which the heads of all the dining services facilities meet with three interviewers. Within a week, they make the hiring decision.

Interview Questions
    • Describe when you have experienced bad customer service and explain what should have been done instead.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego.

It was fairly easy. The person emailed me late in the evening, and was very helpful. Interview went on for 30 min, and it was mostly basic casual talk. The interviewer told me about some questions but didnt ask me

None