UC San Diego Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014

2.6

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Diego in November 2013.

It took 3 months from sending my resume to getting my first email from them. The interview was a panel of 6-7 ladies in 30 minutes. It was very fast paced and next thing I knew it was over. The ladies were kind and they asked normal HR questions with some basic on the job kind of questions. Overall it was a great experience, but I was not ready to be interviewed by multiple people at once.

Research Associate Interview

Much of the interview process revolves around your past work. If you have a strong academic record, the interview pretty much falls into place. The PI will likely ask questions about why you want to work at the lab, what skills you could bring to the lab (this may be quite specific), and others.

Chemical Safety (Spec II) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego.

I applied online and received an email from HR. Then a phone call. Over all the process was pretty quick. We scheduled the interview for the following week. The interview was pretty straight forward however I found out later that an internal candidate was already picked for the position and they were only interviewing out of protocol.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly regulation based questions. The kind of information you would need to know if you were doing a lab inspection. They did ask a weird question about handing complaints (accusations of interfering with their research time) from a lab when you were only doing your job. They must have some cranky labs there.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Diego.

It is more like academic application.
    I first contacted the future supervisor/professor by email, stating my interest and background, and providing my publications, academic GPA, etc.
    Then I had phone interview with the professor for a very short time, like 10 minutes. I did not visit because I was in another country.
    Then I was offered the work-study position, which will be renewed every year upon supervisor's approval. And I accepted it.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. The university's compensation system is quite established.

Stem Cell Biologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Diego in August 2013.

Faculty assistant sent an email on 08/23/2013 (Friday) and scheduled a telephone interview. Interview held on Monday, 08/26/2013. Interviewer (Faculty who was hiring) called on time, stated that he/she is out of town (and therefore suggesting that he/she was calling from a location other than san diego. A search done after the interview showed that this telephone number belonged to one Brenda Johns of WA!!!). At the end of the interview, approximately 1 minute time was given for asking questions to interviewer. Interviewer mentioned that I will be contacted in 2 weeks time to inform whether or not I am selected for an on site interview. Duration of the telephone interview was 30 min.

Interview Questions
    • Along the line of "have you repaired any instruments".   View Answer

Temporary Employment Services Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Diego in June 2013.

After submitting my resume for multiple TES listings, I was contacted to set up an interview. This consisted of a fairly typical ~30min interview (focusing on administrative skills in my case) followed by a software skills test which took about an hour. It tests for proficiency in Word, Excel, and includes a typing test. At this point they run a back ground check (including a live scan). I came in about a week later for a group orientation, and then it was a waiting game for them to get a position that lined up with my skill set. So far I have only been placed once, and it took about 2 weeks for them to have something for me.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview for me had to be the Excel proficiency test. I had always thought of myself as fairly well versed in Excel, and had taken a course on it several years ago and used semi-frequently in previous jobs. I did not expect it to be so in-depth, and they are looking for you to know shortcuts, as they are judging how quickly you can manuever the program as well.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for Temporary Employment Services.

Student Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Diego.

Got contacted via email about an interview opportunity and had one via skype since I was out of the country. Typical interview questions about how you would handle situations in an office and previous work experience.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you came into the office when it wasn't your shift but saw that your co-worker was struggling to deal with a long line?   Answer Question

Operations Assistant Interview

Phone Interview. Resume Submission. The Standard protocol.

ESL Instructor Interview

I had to submit my transcripts along with a lesson plan and fill out the on line application. The interview was informal and mostly just small talk.

Interview Questions
    They offer you the job right away but you don't know what your hours will be like

Student Involvement Leadership Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego in May 2013.

- Group interview, make sure you get your points in on how and why you would be a great asset to the team

Interview Questions
    • - There will be a mock group effort project that changes for every interview. Have quick wits and use teamwork to succeed.   Answer Question
    - You go through Fall training retreat