UC San Diego Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014
Updated Sep 3, 2014

2.6

ER Tech Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego.

I had one interview. Very nice interviewers who were down to earth. Those two people no longer are involved in the hiring process, as they have moved positions. They asked basic questions, nothing too complicated. They value the ability to multitask well and to be on your feet all day.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were fairly basic. I asked them what skills that they value/look for and that seemed to impress them and allowed me to say "I have that!"   Answer Question
    I called every few days until they gave me an answer. At first, they said I wasn't accepted because they thought I wasn't leaving my previous job. That wasn't actually the case, so I ended up getting hired.

UCSD IR/PS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at UC San Diego.

no interview, respond to an ad online, process some emails. They're desperate

Interview Questions
    Here's the offer, take it or leave it

Student Involvement Leadership Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in May 2013.

- Group interview, make sure you get your points in on how and why you would be a great asset to the team

Interview Questions
    • - There will be a mock group effort project that changes for every interview. Have quick wits and use teamwork to succeed.   Answer Question
    - You go through Fall training retreat

IT Service Desk Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in July 2012.

I was emailed and asked to meet for an interview, met with the hirer,

No negotiation

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Diego in November 2013.

It took 3 months from sending my resume to getting my first email from them. The interview was a panel of 6-7 ladies in 30 minutes. It was very fast paced and next thing I knew it was over. The ladies were kind and they asked normal HR questions with some basic on the job kind of questions. Overall it was a great experience, but I was not ready to be interviewed by multiple people at once.

Copywriter/Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in October 2012.

Applied online and was called by one of the staff members. She asked me about my resume and qualifications and set up an on site interview. I arrived early and was interviewed by four women, all much older than me, panel style.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in January 2011.

Applied online, then after several weeks got a call to interview in person. I had a group interview with 3 PhDs and 1 MD. The MD was constantly answering the cellphone. I felt like I led the interview instead of being interviewed.

Interview Questions
    • Would transitioning from a large group to a smaller one be an issue?   View Answer
    Did not negotiate.

Research Associate Interview

Much of the interview process revolves around your past work. If you have a strong academic record, the interview pretty much falls into place. The PI will likely ask questions about why you want to work at the lab, what skills you could bring to the lab (this may be quite specific), and others.

Chemical Safety (Spec II) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego.

I applied online and received an email from HR. Then a phone call. Over all the process was pretty quick. We scheduled the interview for the following week. The interview was pretty straight forward however I found out later that an internal candidate was already picked for the position and they were only interviewing out of protocol.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly regulation based questions. The kind of information you would need to know if you were doing a lab inspection. They did ask a weird question about handing complaints (accusations of interfering with their research time) from a lab when you were only doing your job. They must have some cranky labs there.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Diego.

It is more like academic application.
    I first contacted the future supervisor/professor by email, stating my interest and background, and providing my publications, academic GPA, etc.
    Then I had phone interview with the professor for a very short time, like 10 minutes. I did not visit because I was in another country.
    Then I was offered the work-study position, which will be renewed every year upon supervisor's approval. And I accepted it.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. The university's compensation system is quite established.