UC San Diego

Very Easy Interview

IT Service Desk Technician Interview

IT Service Desk Technician
La Jolla, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was emailed and asked to meet for an interview, met with the hirer,

Interview Question – Do you prefer slow or fast-paced jobs?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Clinical Research Coordinator
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Diego in November 2013.

Interview Details – It took 3 months from sending my resume to getting my first email from them. The interview was a panel of 6-7 ladies in 30 minutes. It was very fast paced and next thing I knew it was over. The ladies were kind and they asked normal HR questions with some basic on the job kind of questions. Overall it was a great experience, but I was not ready to be interviewed by multiple people at once.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about statistical programs?   Answer Question

Copywriter/Editor Interview

Copywriter/Editor
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called by one of the staff members. She asked me about my resume and qualifications and set up an on site interview. I arrived early and was interviewed by four women, all much older than me, panel style.

Interview Question – Explain your experience with social media.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, then after several weeks got a call to interview in person. I had a group interview with 3 PhDs and 1 MD. The MD was constantly answering the cellphone. I felt like I led the interview instead of being interviewed.

Interview Question – Would transitioning from a large group to a smaller one be an issue?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

Interviewed at UC San Diego

Interview Details – Much of the interview process revolves around your past work. If you have a strong academic record, the interview pretty much falls into place. The PI will likely ask questions about why you want to work at the lab, what skills you could bring to the lab (this may be quite specific), and others.

Interview Question – None, really.   Answer Question

Chemical Safety (Spec II) Interview

Chemical Safety (Spec II)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email from HR. Then a phone call. Over all the process was pretty quick. We scheduled the interview for the following week. The interview was pretty straight forward however I found out later that an internal candidate was already picked for the position and they were only interviewing out of protocol.

Interview Question – Mostly regulation based questions. The kind of information you would need to know if you were doing a lab inspection. They did ask a weird question about handing complaints (accusations of interfering with their research time) from a lab when you were only doing your job. They must have some cranky labs there.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview Details – It is more like academic application.
I first contacted the future supervisor/professor by email, stating my interest and background, and providing my publications, academic GPA, etc.
Then I had phone interview with the professor for a very short time, like 10 minutes. I did not visit because I was in another country.
Then I was offered the work-study position, which will be renewed every year upon supervisor's approval. And I accepted it.

Interview Question – Why you want to come to UCSD?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The university's compensation system is quite established.

Stem Cell Biologist Interview

Stem Cell Biologist
San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at UC San Diego in August 2013.

Interview Details – Faculty assistant sent an email on 08/23/2013 (Friday) and scheduled a telephone interview. Interview held on Monday, 08/26/2013. Interviewer (Faculty who was hiring) called on time, stated that he/she is out of town (and therefore suggesting that he/she was calling from a location other than san diego. A search done after the interview showed that this telephone number belonged to one Brenda Johns of WA!!!). At the end of the interview, approximately 1 minute time was given for asking questions to interviewer. Interviewer mentioned that I will be contacted in 2 weeks time to inform whether or not I am selected for an on site interview. Duration of the telephone interview was 30 min.

Interview Question – Along the line of "have you repaired any instruments".   View Answer

Temporary Employment Services Interview

Temporary Employment Services

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UC San Diego in June 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume for multiple TES listings, I was contacted to set up an interview. This consisted of a fairly typical ~30min interview (focusing on administrative skills in my case) followed by a software skills test which took about an hour. It tests for proficiency in Word, Excel, and includes a typing test. At this point they run a back ground check (including a live scan). I came in about a week later for a group orientation, and then it was a waiting game for them to get a position that lined up with my skill set. So far I have only been placed once, and it took about 2 weeks for them to have something for me.

Interview Question – The most difficult part of the interview for me had to be the Excel proficiency test. I had always thought of myself as fairly well versed in Excel, and had taken a course on it several years ago and used semi-frequently in previous jobs. I did not expect it to be so in-depth, and they are looking for you to know shortcuts, as they are judging how quickly you can manuever the program as well.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation for Temporary Employment Services.

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Laboratory Assistant
La Jolla, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UC San Diego in July 2011.

Interview Details – Found the job online through port triton and got a response fairly quickly. Many labs on campus hire on a need basis so they will respond relatively quickly if you apply one or two days after they post the job. Interview was very straightforward, asked standard questions. Found out within a week if I got the job.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question