UC San Diego Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.5

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

Very easy interview, pretty much anybody can do it. If you get an interview expect to be accepted to the position that very day. I feel like they just pick student workers based on their schedule rather than their skills. You will have to be a very incompetent interviewer to not get an offer if you are extended an interview in my opinion.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no negotiation at all

Labor Relations Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I received an email from an administrative assistant requesting a phone interview. The phone interview was with two department managers about a week later. They were very nice and the questions were average and routine. Explain your past employment, experiences and education etc... Here is where UCSD gets a big fail! No communication, if you look at your status on their online system, it will go from "Application Received" to "Position Filled." This is barely tolerable if you take the time to apply and you cannot even get a basic rejection email, but it is completely classless to make a person interview and you never hear from anyone again. I sent emails after a month of waiting and they did not have the common courtesy to even reply. I am shocked there are not more complaints reference this behavior on Glassdoor. I have friends and relatives who have encountered similar behavior and worse. If you call or write any of the HR recruiters, they give you the standard brush off. If you have a follow-up question, they immediately become snarky and rude. They are completely aware of their power position in this case and use it to their advantage. Shame on them! This is a government institution, paid for by government funds, there are protocols in place for the entire hiring process and it is all ignored. If you go onto their Blink System, there is a hiring manual for department managers and screen shots of their hiring system computer pages. It is all ignored and nobody is watching over the process. Office of Ethics & Compliance.....HELLO? Someone needs to give these hiring entities a swift kick and bring them in line with a certain level of professionalism and business acumen. How about an anonymous employment applicant questionnaire?

Interview Questions

• Explain your involvement with labor relations at your present job?   1 Answer

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

Applied online. Notified of acceptance by letter, and invited to attend a preview weekend to interview with faculty to see which labs would be a good fit for me. NOTE: THIS PROCESS HAS CHANGED AND NOW YOU HAVE TO INTERVIEW BEFORE ACCEPTANCE.

Interview Questions

• In my case, professors mainly asked about my undergraduate career and background. Then they waited for me to ask my questions about their lab and research.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't negotiate. Its an acceptance/rejection situation, and the stipend/benefits packages are predefined.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

You had to apply online. After all resume's were reviewed, I was selected for an interview. The Interview consisted with a panel of 4 and also 5 interviewees. It was overall a pretty average interview with typical questions about why are you interested and also how involved you are in school. In addition, it was hard to outshine your peers because they asked each individuals different questions.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was when they told us to get together with the other interviewees to come together and come up with a plan to market an event.   Answer Question

Negotiation

We just had to sign paperwork saying that we were willing to spend at least 4 hours a week minimum to this internship.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I interviewed for a internship under UCSD's Logistics Department. I applied by contacting UCSD's human resource department and asking if they had any open positions related to finance, management. They forwarded my resume to the department and I was contacted a few days later. The interview itself was fair and not too bad at all, I received a phone call a few days later with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• If you are assigned two tasks, both of equal importance and you only have time to do one, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I first submitted my resume to the professor. I then had a technical round where he asked me questions about my coursework and projects. I was then offered an opportunity to do a project for a quarter(10 weeks). I did well in it and asked the professor for a a GSR offer.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at UC San Diego in October 2014.

Interview

Set up meeting with professor to discuss project. Previously emailed professor CV but was asked to elaborate on experience in laboratories and research environments. Introduced to other students in lab and was given a tour of lab equipment. Offered position on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

4 months long, cumbersome and not responsive. You cannot connect with a real person connected to the interview process, so it's hard to follow up. They also post a lot of jobs since they are required when they already have an existing employee to move into the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience working in a large complex business setting   1 Answer

Water Safety Instructor Interview

Interview

Submitted my application through Port Triton and followed up with the head of the department who scheduled an interview within a week. They are looking for people who have experience teaching swim lessons, preferably with Red Cross/CPR certifications already, and are willing to renew your expired certification if necessary. Interview was very laid back. Mostly asked about my experiences as a swimmer and teaching swimming. It seemed like they mainly want someone who can communicate well with others.

Interview Questions

• describe a situation where you had a parent complaining about your lesson, and how you would resolve the issue.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

it went very very fast. i was already a grad student here in the same lab. just had to sign a piece of paper and then i was a postdoc