UC San Diego Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015
Updated Apr 12, 2015

2.6

Residential Dining Food Service Worker Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

The first step is to apply online. Then, when there are spots that need to be filled, they contact potential employees via e-mail. There is one group interview in which the heads of all the dining services facilities meet with three interviewers. Within a week, they make the hiring decision.

Interview Questions

• Describe when you have experienced bad customer service and explain what should have been done instead.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

It was fairly easy. The person emailed me late in the evening, and was very helpful. Interview went on for 30 min, and it was mostly basic casual talk. The interviewer told me about some questions but didnt ask me

Negotiation

None

Food Service Worker Interview

Interview

applied online, waited for couple weeks, and got a phone call, It was a group interview, about 4-5 people in a group. 3 interviewers. Questions are not hard, you dont even need experience, but preferred. A week later, I got a call telling me I'm accepted.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Interview

There wasn't an interview process. Their hiring decision was based on the online application. Typically you go online and follow through their application process, fill out the required information and submit an application fee. Afterwards, the hiring committee send their decision based on your statement of purpose and prior experience.

Interview Questions

• The statement of purpose was the hardest part of the application.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase, you are given a fixed package.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

I contacted professors saying I was interested in applying for a fellowship to work in their lab. I came out for an on-site interview and then worked on the proposal back at my home institution. I asked whether they would support me even if I did not get the fellowship and I was promised 1-2 years of support, so I took the offer, and ended up getting a fellowship that provided three years of funding.

Interview Questions

• are you interested in solving crystal structures?   1 Answer

ER Tech Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

I had one interview. Very nice interviewers who were down to earth. Those two people no longer are involved in the hiring process, as they have moved positions. They asked basic questions, nothing too complicated. They value the ability to multitask well and to be on your feet all day.

Interview Questions

• All questions were fairly basic. I asked them what skills that they value/look for and that seemed to impress them and allowed me to say "I have that!"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I called every few days until they gave me an answer. At first, they said I wasn't accepted because they thought I wasn't leaving my previous job. That wasn't actually the case, so I ended up getting hired.

UCSD IR/PS Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA).

Interview

no interview, respond to an ad online, process some emails. They're desperate

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Here's the offer, take it or leave it

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

It took 3 months from sending my resume to getting my first email from them. The interview was a panel of 6-7 ladies in 30 minutes. It was very fast paced and next thing I knew it was over. The ladies were kind and they asked normal HR questions with some basic on the job kind of questions. Overall it was a great experience, but I was not ready to be interviewed by multiple people at once.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Much of the interview process revolves around your past work. If you have a strong academic record, the interview pretty much falls into place. The PI will likely ask questions about why you want to work at the lab, what skills you could bring to the lab (this may be quite specific), and others.

Chemical Safety (Spec II) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

I applied online and received an email from HR. Then a phone call. Over all the process was pretty quick. We scheduled the interview for the following week. The interview was pretty straight forward however I found out later that an internal candidate was already picked for the position and they were only interviewing out of protocol.

Interview Questions

• Mostly regulation based questions. The kind of information you would need to know if you were doing a lab inspection. They did ask a weird question about handing complaints (accusations of interfering with their research time) from a lab when you were only doing your job. They must have some cranky labs there.   Answer Question