UC San Diego Interview Questions

2.6

Stem Cell Biologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at UC San Diego in August 2013.

Faculty assistant sent an email on 08/23/2013 (Friday) and scheduled a telephone interview. Interview held on Monday, 08/26/2013. Interviewer (Faculty who was hiring) called on time, stated that he/she is out of town (and therefore suggesting that he/she was calling from a location other than san diego. A search done after the interview showed that this telephone number belonged to one Brenda Johns of WA!!!). At the end of the interview, approximately 1 minute time was given for asking questions to interviewer. Interviewer mentioned that I will be contacted in 2 weeks time to inform whether or not I am selected for an on site interview. Duration of the telephone interview was 30 min.

Interview Questions
    • Along the line of "have you repaired any instruments".   View Answer

Temporary Employment Services Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at UC San Diego in June 2013.

After submitting my resume for multiple TES listings, I was contacted to set up an interview. This consisted of a fairly typical ~30min interview (focusing on administrative skills in my case) followed by a software skills test which took about an hour. It tests for proficiency in Word, Excel, and includes a typing test. At this point they run a back ground check (including a live scan). I came in about a week later for a group orientation, and then it was a waiting game for them to get a position that lined up with my skill set. So far I have only been placed once, and it took about 2 weeks for them to have something for me.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part of the interview for me had to be the Excel proficiency test. I had always thought of myself as fairly well versed in Excel, and had taken a course on it several years ago and used semi-frequently in previous jobs. I did not expect it to be so in-depth, and they are looking for you to know shortcuts, as they are judging how quickly you can manuever the program as well.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for Temporary Employment Services.

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at UC San Diego in July 2011.

Found the job online through port triton and got a response fairly quickly. Many labs on campus hire on a need basis so they will respond relatively quickly if you apply one or two days after they post the job. Interview was very straightforward, asked standard questions. Found out within a week if I got the job.

Box Office Senior Event Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UC San Diego in October 2010.

Two interviews, one with general manager of UCSD Box Office, and one with head of the entire student affairs department. Both interviews took around half an hour, and required essentially experience with management/a skill they can utilize for something else, i.e. website.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a customer who just won't say no to your company policy, without asking a manager?   Answer Question
    No negotiation possible.

Student Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at UC San Diego.

Got contacted via email about an interview opportunity and had one via skype since I was out of the country. Typical interview questions about how you would handle situations in an office and previous work experience.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you came into the office when it wasn't your shift but saw that your co-worker was struggling to deal with a long line?   Answer Question

Operations Assistant Interview

Phone Interview. Resume Submission. The Standard protocol.

College Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in November 2010.

Group Interview
    -Everyone is asked to give an individual introduction of themselves as they might do while giving a tour
    -Next asked to describe a feature of the school (housing and dining, academics etc)
    -Last is a situational question

Interview Questions
    • Situational question "A mother on you tour asks you: 'I hear when kids come to college they drink alcohol and have sex.' How would you respond to her question?"   Answer Question

ESL Instructor Interview

I had to submit my transcripts along with a lesson plan and fill out the on line application. The interview was informal and mostly just small talk.

Interview Questions
    They offer you the job right away but you don't know what your hours will be like

Fiscal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in May 2012.

one interview with three executives

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

-telephone interview
    -question on experience, background, urgent care, passion for counseling center work
    -will ask about your fit with rotations
    -6 postdocs are accepted
    -will call to offer position

Interview Questions
    • Ask about your fit with the different rotations offered   Answer Question