UC San Diego Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.5

Interview

It was fun and not to hard at all. you can apply thought the pros. if you already know some of the guys, it definite a plus. so get started now

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

The first step is to apply online. Then, when there are spots that need to be filled, they contact potential employees via e-mail. There is one group interview in which the heads of all the dining services facilities meet with three interviewers. Within a week, they make the hiring decision.

Interview Questions

• Describe when you have experienced bad customer service and explain what should have been done instead.   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

It was fairly easy. The person emailed me late in the evening, and was very helpful. Interview went on for 30 min, and it was mostly basic casual talk. The interviewer told me about some questions but didnt ask me

Negotiation

None

Food Service Worker Interview

Interview

applied online, waited for couple weeks, and got a phone call, It was a group interview, about 4-5 people in a group. 3 interviewers. Questions are not hard, you dont even need experience, but preferred. A week later, I got a call telling me I'm accepted.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Interview

There wasn't an interview process. Their hiring decision was based on the online application. Typically you go online and follow through their application process, fill out the required information and submit an application fee. Afterwards, the hiring committee send their decision based on your statement of purpose and prior experience.

Interview Questions

• The statement of purpose was the hardest part of the application.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase, you are given a fixed package.

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied through the main UCSD system and ranked all the colleges by preference. I got a call for my first choice and interviewed with the 2 directors. It was pretty casual and easy. Asked about what I would go in various situations and handle difficult cases.

Conference Services Summer Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got called in for a group interview with around 4-5 other people. Interview process was very easy. Each applicant was asked some standard questions about past history with customer service and how you would address a difficult customer situation. As long as you had a friendly demeanor and a professed willingness to be nice to clients, I believe they accepted almost every applicant. The last portion of the interview was a "group test" in which we had to effectively design an advertising sign. Seemed more like an exercise to see if you could work effectively within the group, and see what roles you took in competitive situations. After hiring, they split applicants into different groups so that all leadership roles were effectively filled.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult customer service situation you have ever had to deal with? How did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I was a graduated doctoral student filling a hole in their summer program. It was not necessary to interview as my department knew well my work. I proposed a course on Frederick Nietzsche and European artistic movements of the 20th century and it was accepted.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Interview

I contacted professors saying I was interested in applying for a fellowship to work in their lab. I came out for an on-site interview and then worked on the proposal back at my home institution. I asked whether they would support me even if I did not get the fellowship and I was promised 1-2 years of support, so I took the offer, and ended up getting a fellowship that provided three years of funding.

Interview Questions

• are you interested in solving crystal structures?   1 Answer

ER Tech Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

I had one interview. Very nice interviewers who were down to earth. Those two people no longer are involved in the hiring process, as they have moved positions. They asked basic questions, nothing too complicated. They value the ability to multitask well and to be on your feet all day.

Interview Questions

• All questions were fairly basic. I asked them what skills that they value/look for and that seemed to impress them and allowed me to say "I have that!"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I called every few days until they gave me an answer. At first, they said I wasn't accepted because they thought I wasn't leaving my previous job. That wasn't actually the case, so I ended up getting hired.