UC San Diego

Relevance Date Difficulty

Biomeddical Sciences PhD Candidate Interview

Biomeddical Sciences PhD Candidate
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at UC San Diego in April 2010.

Interview Details – The process consists of an initial application, followed by an invitation for a weekend long interview. This includes meeting with several faculty members. Each will ask about personal interests and will be eager to share what they work on in their own lab. There is also a campus tour and some good food. Following recruitment many interviewees will be invited to matriculate.

Interview Question – The majority of questions asked are not technical. The one I found most difficult to answer was why here? There are many excellent Universities where one can obtain a doctorate in the biomedical field. It is advisable to prepare a number of reasons why this particular university fits your needs better than any other.   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Researcher
La Jolla, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at UC San Diego in July 2010.

Interview Details – I was personally known based on my publications and my work presented publically at conferences, meetings and symposiums; also based on my past collaborative work -- joint proposals and grants from federal and local agencies.

Negotiation Details – salary negotiation

Very Easy Interview

IT Service Desk Technician Interview

IT Service Desk Technician
La Jolla, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was emailed and asked to meet for an interview, met with the hirer,

Interview Question – Do you prefer slow or fast-paced jobs?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Copywriter/Editor Interview

Copywriter/Editor
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called by one of the staff members. She asked me about my resume and qualifications and set up an on site interview. I arrived early and was interviewed by four women, all much older than me, panel style.

Interview Question – Explain your experience with social media.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, then after several weeks got a call to interview in person. I had a group interview with 3 PhDs and 1 MD. The MD was constantly answering the cellphone. I felt like I led the interview instead of being interviewed.

Interview Question – Would transitioning from a large group to a smaller one be an issue?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview Details – It is more like academic application.
I first contacted the future supervisor/professor by email, stating my interest and background, and providing my publications, academic GPA, etc.
Then I had phone interview with the professor for a very short time, like 10 minutes. I did not visit because I was in another country.
Then I was offered the work-study position, which will be renewed every year upon supervisor's approval. And I accepted it.

Interview Question – Why you want to come to UCSD?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The university's compensation system is quite established.

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Laboratory Assistant
La Jolla, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UC San Diego in July 2011.

Interview Details – Found the job online through port triton and got a response fairly quickly. Many labs on campus hire on a need basis so they will respond relatively quickly if you apply one or two days after they post the job. Interview was very straightforward, asked standard questions. Found out within a week if I got the job.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Box Office Senior Event Manager Interview

Box Office Senior Event Manager
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UC San Diego in October 2010.

Interview Details – Two interviews, one with general manager of UCSD Box Office, and one with head of the entire student affairs department. Both interviews took around half an hour, and required essentially experience with management/a skill they can utilize for something else, i.e. website.

Interview Question – How would you deal with a customer who just won't say no to your company policy, without asking a manager?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible.

College Ambassador Interview

College Ambassador
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in November 2010.

Interview Details – Group Interview
-Everyone is asked to give an individual introduction of themselves as they might do while giving a tour
-Next asked to describe a feature of the school (housing and dining, academics etc)
-Last is a situational question

Interview Question – Situational question "A mother on you tour asks you: 'I hear when kids come to college they drink alcohol and have sex.' How would you respond to her question?"   Answer Question

Swim Instructor Interview

Swim Instructor
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at UC San Diego in May 2012.

Interview Details – Easy and simple questions.

Interview Question – Hardest challenge I have had.
How to handle parents vs kids that I teach
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Worked for UC San Diego? Contribute to the Community!