UC San Diego Interview Questions in San Diego, CA

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.5

Assistant Project Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Poor, the people were afraid for their jobs, the pay was low and the interviewer was a complete jerk. I enjoy science, but when a person who sought to recruit me insults me to my face, I tune out.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I first submitted my resume to the professor. I then had a technical round where he asked me questions about my coursework and projects. I was then offered an opportunity to do a project for a quarter(10 weeks). I did well in it and asked the professor for a a GSR offer.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

4 months long, cumbersome and not responsive. You cannot connect with a real person connected to the interview process, so it's hard to follow up. They also post a lot of jobs since they are required when they already have an existing employee to move into the position.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience working in a large complex business setting   1 Answer

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online at the HDH (Housing Dining Hospitality) website. Pretty much everyone gets an interview since there are so many positions open at the start of the school year/during the end of Summer.

You're in a room with about 10 other people, and the interviewers just go down the line ask basic questions (previous work history, etc.). It takes about 20 minutes altogether. Low stress. It's impossible to mess up. Everyone gets the same question, so most people just say, "Yeah. What he/she said."

Then, you get contacted a couple of days later (or towards the beginning of the school year) and you have to come back in for orientation. You have to sign a bunch of tax information/fill out a pre-made work packet. Then you have to complete an hour long set of videos and questions. It's a drag. I heard people who apply during the school year don't actually have to do this, but I'm not sure if that's true or not. Finally, they ask you where you want to work. I HIGHLY recommend you work in a market. It's a lot easier than working in a dinning hall, and you get the same perks/pay.

Interview Questions

• Something along the lines of: "If there is a spill in the store that needs to be cleaned up, your manager just asked you to stock the floor, and there is a customer waiting at the registering, in what order would you handle those situations?"   Answer Question

Graduate Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied through the main UCSD system and ranked all the colleges by preference. I got a call for my first choice and interviewed with the 2 directors. It was pretty casual and easy. Asked about what I would go in various situations and handle difficult cases.

Conference Services Summer Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got called in for a group interview with around 4-5 other people.

Interview process was very easy. Each applicant was asked some standard questions about past history with customer service and how you would address a difficult customer situation. As long as you had a friendly demeanor and a professed willingness to be nice to clients, I believe they accepted almost every applicant.

The last portion of the interview was a "group test" in which we had to effectively design an advertising sign. Seemed more like an exercise to see if you could work effectively within the group, and see what roles you took in competitive situations. After hiring, they split applicants into different groups so that all leadership roles were effectively filled.

Interview Questions

• What was the most difficult customer service situation you have ever had to deal with? How did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Interview

I contacted professors saying I was interested in applying for a fellowship to work in their lab. I came out for an on-site interview and then worked on the proposal back at my home institution. I asked whether they would support me even if I did not get the fellowship and I was promised 1-2 years of support, so I took the offer, and ended up getting a fellowship that provided three years of funding.

Interview Questions

• are you interested in solving crystal structures?   1 Answer

UCSD IR/PS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA).

Interview

no interview, respond to an ad online, process some emails. They're desperate

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Here's the offer, take it or leave it

Visual Arts Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

It was as unorganized as it could get. The interviewer was absent minded to the point of forgetting about the whole process altogether, which is typical for the department. It was clear that she is not listening as she was text messaging during the entire process.It was as unorganized as it could get. The interviewer was absent minded to the point of forgetting about the whole process altogether, which is typical for the department. It was clear that she is not listening as she was text messaging during the entire process.

Interview Questions

• What better exemplifies of the death of art as a concept than UC Art department?

1 Answer

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

It took 3 months from sending my resume to getting my first email from them. The interview was a panel of 6-7 ladies in 30 minutes. It was very fast paced and next thing I knew it was over. The ladies were kind and they asked normal HR questions with some basic on the job kind of questions. Overall it was a great experience, but I was not ready to be interviewed by multiple people at once.