UC San Diego

33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interviewed at UC San Diego

Interview Details – I contacted professors saying I was interested in applying for a fellowship to work in their lab. I came out for an on-site interview and then worked on the proposal back at my home institution. I asked whether they would support me even if I did not get the fellowship and I was promised 1-2 years of support, so I took the offer, and ended up getting a fellowship that provided three years of funding.

Interview Question – are you interested in solving crystal structures?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

UCSD IR/PS Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview Details – no interview, respond to an ad online, process some emails. They're desperate

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Here's the offer, take it or leave it

Student Involvement Leadership Consultant Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in May 2013.

Interview Details – - Group interview, make sure you get your points in on how and why you would be a great asset to the team

Interview Question – - There will be a mock group effort project that changes for every interview. Have quick wits and use teamwork to succeed.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – - You go through Fall training retreat

Very Easy Interview

IT Service Desk Technician Interview

La Jolla, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was emailed and asked to meet for an interview, met with the hirer,

Interview Question – Do you prefer slow or fast-paced jobs?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Diego in November 2013.

Interview Details – It took 3 months from sending my resume to getting my first email from them. The interview was a panel of 6-7 ladies in 30 minutes. It was very fast paced and next thing I knew it was over. The ladies were kind and they asked normal HR questions with some basic on the job kind of questions. Overall it was a great experience, but I was not ready to be interviewed by multiple people at once.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about statistical programs?   Answer Question

Copywriter/Editor Interview

La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in October 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called by one of the staff members. She asked me about my resume and qualifications and set up an on site interview. I arrived early and was interviewed by four women, all much older than me, panel style.

Interview Question – Explain your experience with social media.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at UC San Diego in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, then after several weeks got a call to interview in person. I had a group interview with 3 PhDs and 1 MD. The MD was constantly answering the cellphone. I felt like I led the interview instead of being interviewed.

Interview Question – Would transitioning from a large group to a smaller one be an issue?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
La Jolla, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview Details – It is more like academic application.
I first contacted the future supervisor/professor by email, stating my interest and background, and providing my publications, academic GPA, etc.
Then I had phone interview with the professor for a very short time, like 10 minutes. I did not visit because I was in another country.
Then I was offered the work-study position, which will be renewed every year upon supervisor's approval. And I accepted it.

Interview Question – Why you want to come to UCSD?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The university's compensation system is quite established.

Stem Cell Biologist Interview

San Diego, CA

I applied online - interviewed at UC San Diego in August 2013.

Interview Details – Faculty assistant sent an email on 08/23/2013 (Friday) and scheduled a telephone interview. Interview held on Monday, 08/26/2013. Interviewer (Faculty who was hiring) called on time, stated that he/she is out of town (and therefore suggesting that he/she was calling from a location other than san diego. A search done after the interview showed that this telephone number belonged to one Brenda Johns of WA!!!). At the end of the interview, approximately 1 minute time was given for asking questions to interviewer. Interviewer mentioned that I will be contacted in 2 weeks time to inform whether or not I am selected for an on site interview. Duration of the telephone interview was 30 min.

Interview Question – Along the line of "have you repaired any instruments".   View Answer

Laboratory Assistant Interview

Laboratory Assistant
La Jolla, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UC San Diego in July 2011.

Interview Details – Found the job online through port triton and got a response fairly quickly. Many labs on campus hire on a need basis so they will respond relatively quickly if you apply one or two days after they post the job. Interview was very straightforward, asked standard questions. Found out within a week if I got the job.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for UC San Diego? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC San Diego interview questions and advice in San Diego, CA. All 33 interview reviews posted anonymously by UC San Diego employees and interview candidates.