UC San Francisco

Updated Nov 8, 2014
Updated Nov 8, 2014

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Francisco.

I interviewed for 5-6 different CRC jobs, all from online applications. I would typically get contacted within 1-3 weeks of submitting my application, either by email or phone (though I've gotten interview requests up to 2 months afterwards.) There would be a phone screen and then an in-person interview on site. The in-person interview would sometimes also involve the PI/doctor directing the project, or a number of other CRCs.

There were usually no surprise questions. The people interviewing were, for the most part (with only 1-2 exceptions), very passionate about their work and just looking to hire the most qualified candidate. Interviews typically started with a more detailed description of the research and the position. They asked about my previous work experience, other activities, why I was interested in the job, where I saw myself a few years down the road, other typical things like that. What I found most challenging was honestly coming up with good questions, because the interviewers were generally very thorough in their position descriptions. Many of the interviewers did ask the strengths/weaknesses questions - be prepared with an answer and examples that tie in to the specific job duties.

For a few of these positions, about a week after the in-person interview, I was asked to send over my references. About a week after that was when I was informed either of my rejection or acceptance (by phone call.)

One of my interviews for a CRC position was a full hour-long behavioral interview with lots of questions including "three words to describe yourself" as well as the typical "tell me a time when..." etc, etc. I was actually very frustrated with this interview because we did not discuss the position in much detail, nor did the actual topic of research actually get brought up. That was a very disappointing experience, but the thing is, while CRC job listings all resemble each other very closely, each interview varies widely depending on the project and the people involved. Do your research and practice! Being familiar with the particular project is really the most important thing to prepare (as well as being ready to hash out your past in a relevant manner.) For the most part, however, I had good experiences - straightforward interviews with interested people who didn't want to waste time on irrelevant discussions. No trick questions, just honest talking - those were the interviewers I respected the most.

Interview Questions
  • In the behavioral interview: Tell me about something you would now do differently if you had a chance to go back and change your decision.
    In normal interviews: a case question about what to do when you had to consent two patients but were short on time

Answer Question

(To clarify, I did not get accepted to all, just one, but declined in favor of a non-research job.)

Other Interview Reviews for UC San Francisco

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco in October 2013.

The staff was very interested and wanted me on board as soon as possible. They made the process simple, easy and fun. People are strapped on time so they don't have too much time to negotiate with you and dive into details. They mostly see if you have the intelligence, dedication and passion to serve in such a community.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

Initial communication was good - and the inital interview occurred quickly. The first interview was with 2 individuals (research manager and lead clinical research coordinator). It lasted just over one hour. The research manager described the team and what they do, so it was mostly the manager talking. I spoke a little about myself. The lead research coordinator asked a series of structured questions. She was very rigid with these questions and wrote while I spoke.

About 1-2 weeks later I returned for a second interview with one of the prinicipal investigators running the research unit. This interview required me to speak a little about myself and my long term goals. We spoke mainly about opportunities and how this job could help advance my career.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you could not meet a deadline. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    There was minimal negotiation and flexibility with salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Francisco in September 2010.

The total hiring process took 3 months, from when I was first contacted with a phone interview until my first day working. Basically I was contacted by a department lead after submitting my resume online at UCSF careers portal, and then a week later I had a phone interview. After passing that, I came in for an in-person interview, and met with roughly 8 people over two teams. After the 4 hours or so, about 3 weeks later I heard back saying that they wanted me.

Interview Questions
    • None really -- they're all simple interview questions. Probably the only one that stuck out was "Describe yourself in 3 words" -- I chose "very curious learner" at the drop of a hat.   Answer Question
    There was none -- UCSF will not negotiate for this position.