UC San Francisco

Updated Feb 11, 2015
Updated Feb 11, 2015

2.7

Office Manager Interview

interviewed at UC San Francisco in February 2015.

Saw listings online, have to sign up to their site to apply and fill up a detailed application form natively on their site. Attach your files and send it in. They will mail you back but it might take a while.

Interview Questions
    • The forms asks about prior salaries, so be prepared to disclose those too.   Answer Question

Analyst III Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

Process was straightforward. I applied online and got a call from research director's assistant a couple of days later. We set up a face-to-face interview in person for the next day. I had a short (20-30 min) interview with the research director, followed by a quick interview with one of the analysts working on the team. Both the director and the analyst said that I'd hear from the director's assistant within the next week, one way or another, but I never did. I felt that that was poor form, but they were otherwise very professional and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • No curveball questions. Typical questions re: strengths, weaknesses, education, least/favorite kind of work environment, future goals.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

Submitted my application online. Got a call from the office manager about my experience, what I was looking for in a position out of graduation, and if i was willing to move to San Francisco (I was in Orange County at the time.) Then came up to San Francisco and met with the office manager, the research director, one of the administrative assistants, and the doctor that I would be assisting. Everyone asked very typical questions like what skills do I have, what can I learn and contribute and where do I see myself going in the future.

Study Coordinator Interview

The process took about a month, with an initial phone screen interview and an in-person interview. The in-person interview was mostly a behavioral interview, with a few technical questions. The interviewers were professional and responsive, and the team seemed to be a close-knit and casual group. The work environment also seemed like good place for professional growth.

Interview Questions
    • Conceptual and technical questions relating to quantitative analysis.   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Francisco.

I interviewed for 5-6 different CRC jobs, all from online applications. I would typically get contacted within 1-3 weeks of submitting my application, either by email or phone (though I've gotten interview requests up to 2 months afterwards.) There would be a phone screen and then an in-person interview on site. The in-person interview would sometimes also involve the PI/doctor directing the project, or a number of other CRCs.

There were usually no surprise questions. The people interviewing were, for the most part (with only 1-2 exceptions), very passionate about their work and just looking to hire the most qualified candidate. Interviews typically started with a more detailed description of the research and the position. They asked about my previous work experience, other activities, why I was interested in the job, where I saw myself a few years down the road, other typical things like that. What I found most challenging was honestly coming up with good questions, because the interviewers were generally very thorough in their position descriptions. Many of the interviewers did ask the strengths/weaknesses questions - be prepared with an answer and examples that tie in to the specific job duties.

For a few of these positions, about a week after the in-person interview, I was asked to send over my references. About a week after that was when I was informed either of my rejection or acceptance (by phone call.)

One of my interviews for a CRC position was a full hour-long behavioral interview with lots of questions including "three words to describe yourself" as well as the typical "tell me a time when..." etc, etc. I was actually very frustrated with this interview because we did not discuss the position in much detail, nor did the actual topic of research actually get brought up. That was a very disappointing experience, but the thing is, while CRC job listings all resemble each other very closely, each interview varies widely depending on the project and the people involved. Do your research and practice! Being familiar with the particular project is really the most important thing to prepare (as well as being ready to hash out your past in a relevant manner.) For the most part, however, I had good experiences - straightforward interviews with interested people who didn't want to waste time on irrelevant discussions. No trick questions, just honest talking - those were the interviewers I respected the most.

Interview Questions
    • In the behavioral interview: Tell me about something you would now do differently if you had a chance to go back and change your decision.
      In normal interviews: a case question about what to do when you had to consent two patients but were short on time

Answer Question

(To clarify, I did not get accepted to all, just one, but declined in favor of a non-research job.)

Staff Research Associate III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco in October 2014.

Submitted cover letter and resume to listed email address. Received a call back within a couple days for an initial phone interview. Was invited to 2 subsequent in-person interviews to meet with different stakeholders (imagine it would have been just 1 interview if all their schedules had aligned). Was offered a position within 2 days after last in-person interview. HR process takes about 2-3 weeks to complete in addition.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years and how does this position play a role in achieving that?   View Answer
    There isn't much room to negotiate as the position salary is UC regulated and they were open with what that range was (I was able to confirm pretty easily looking online). Start date, hours, etc were very easily negotiated, but again subject to UC policy.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco in October 2014.

As this was an academic interview, I imagine the process is very specific to the PI interviewing. In my case it involved a phone interview with my PI, followed by an in person interview, where we discussed the role. I then met informally with a more senior PI, and other postdocs and research assistants in the lab. There was no interaction with HR or anyone from the university itself.

Interview Questions
    • Relevant questions about my PhD and previous research projects   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

I submitted my application online. The application packet included a resume, at least 3 letters of recommendation, and several essays and short answer questions (including questions about GRE scores and publication record). The submission deadline was sometime in November. I was called for an interview in January and interviewed on campus in early February. I interviewed with 5 faculty and 1 student in the Tetrad graduate program. The interviews were each 30 minutes long and consisted of describing my research, my goals for graduate school, and what I was looking for in a graduate institution. Each professor explained their research and I asked questions to them about their research.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you not have any publications from your undergraduate research?   Answer Question
    I told them I wanted to defer acceptance for one year. They asked me what I planned to do during this year and I told them I had a high school teaching project lined up. They gave me the deferral.

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

For myself, I was already working at UCSF under the Temporary Employment Program, and I was immediately hired as a Sysadmin when one of my temp assignments was at the department I currently employed at. However, applying directly to UCSF is a slow process, and it can take months, before anyone gets hired.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate salary, and accepted the base salary. If you are applying to any job within UCSF, the salary ranges for all positions are posted on the UCSF HR website if you check carefully. This will give you a good indicator of what you can negotiate for.

Analyst I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco in August 2014.

Hiring manager was pleasant and I had an enjoyable experience interviewing with her. However, it was clear I was over-qualified for the position with my experience and education. Despite my enthusiasm and reassurance, she must have felt that I would not stay long in the position supporting the chief-of-staff -- or that I would be jockeying for her job someday (?).