UC San Francisco

Updated Dec 11, 2014

2.7

Administrative Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

Worked there as temporary employee for one week. Was asked to apply for the administrative analyst position. No one had been able to fill that position for 6 years. I interviewed with the 2 people i was going to support.

Interview Questions
    • One of my interviewers told me that he couldn't even imagine doing my job and didn't know why anyone would choose a support role.   Answer Question
    They offered $36,000. I countered with $80,000 as my desired salary. I got $58,000.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Francisco.

postdoc candidate will be interviewed by the PI of a lab and several lab members individually. Candidate will also need to give a talk followed by Q and A section. PI may give an offer directly if you are great. PI will ask you to write a fellowship before coming to the lab if you are good.

Interview Questions
    • People asked many different questions that you will never be able to prepared. But the way to reply, regardless of knowing the answer or not, will be critical. One has to be mature enough to be a good scientist. Scientist does not know all the answers, but they can propose feasible way to approach the answers.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant II Interview

Be prepared and have a thorough knowledge of your past experiences

Interview Questions
    • Describe what projects, other than yours, in your previous labs you were most interested in and why?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

The interview process was easy but the hiring process was cumbersome. The on boarding process was not very informative and at SF General Hospital--far from where I would be working.

Interview Questions
    • How will you be able to handle not just making corrections but making sure that others do not keep making the same mistakes--and learn from the corrections?   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

Straightforward, phone interview with a recruiter, followed by in-person with direct manager. Friendly, job-related questions

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about how to do a specific task in the job   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

Initial phone interview to determine fitness
    Panel interview typically among line staff
    Final interview with hiring manager and peers

Interview Questions
    • What are your leadership qualities and how you develop high performing teams?   Answer Question

CO Solution Center Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Francisco in March 2014.

Very straight forward process. Applied initially online via the UCSF website, contacted about two weeks later to schedule a phone screening with the direct supervisor and the individual who previously held the position prior to promotion. (1st PLUS: internal opportunities for lateral/horizontal growth).

Phone interview consisted of: (1) UCSF and departmental context e.g. recent achievements, intra-office growth; (2) reiteration of the position; (3) detailed description of my professional and academic profile, as it relates to the opportunity. Very personable, concise answers, direct (2nd PLUS: effective communication, knowledgeable about the position, confident/clear expectations going forward).

The in-person interview was scheduled about two to three weeks after the initial phone screening. Panel interview consisted of the two individuals who conducted the phone screening and the Controller's Office Customer Service Manager. Interview was refreshingly straight forward. All three individuals were generous with their time, communicated and answered questions mindfully. At closing, each shared an example of a personal interest/hobby, which I enjoyed hearing about. I left with a clear understanding of the position, what the department sought to do going forward with the position, as well as the expectations of all involved. Well worth the afternoon of lost pay to make these connections. Gave me some insight to the hiring process at least.

Interview Questions
    • Again, pretty straight-forward questions:
      (1) Walk me through your resume;
      (2) How would you describe your work style;
      (3) How do you prioritize your work-load;
      (4) Speak more in-depth about your relevant experience (AKA 'why should I hire you?');
      (5) Speak more in-depth about your academic background (How are your degrees relevant?);
      (6) What are your career goals;
      (7) Why do you want to work for UCSF; why do you want this position?

Answer Question

Staff Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

My undergraduate mentor collaborated with this UCSF lab and asked them to meet me for an informational interview. They did not have an opening at the time, but they agreed to meet me anyway. I went to UCSF, where they showed me around the lab and introduced me to the whole team. I casually spoke with the principal investigator and managers. Then, to my surprise, they offered me a job at the end of the tour. I think my mentor had talked me up beforehand, planting the seed in UCSF's mind that I may be worth creating a job opening.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your experience in this field. (This was not a difficult interview)   Answer Question
    Since I had another offer elsewhere, they sort of did the negotiating for me. They bumped up my salary without me asking.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

1st Step - Phone interview. Topics covered research interests, availability/timeline for start, reasons for being interested in the particular lab
    2nd Step - In person interview. Some people are brought in person or can interview via Skype if distance is a problem. A one-hour research talk is standard followed by 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 meetings with members of the lab. Usually grad students and other postdocs take you out to lunch. Day usually ends with PI. Offer followed in a couple of days

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions will be asked during the research talk. Be prepared that if your audience has a different background they are going to ask questions relevant to their interests.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UC San Francisco in November 2013.

The interview went well. The interviewers were all very professional. The questions were very technical and varied. The interviewers were upfront about about where I my background was falling short, and they spent extra time telling me how to go about getting the knowledge and experience to fill in the gaps. They also came to my school and spoke to our programmers club about what they do there.

Interview Questions
    • My background was in programming and database, but they were looking for some internet experience as well.   Answer Question