UC San Francisco

Relevance Date Difficulty

CO Solution Center Analyst Interview

CO Solution Center Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very straight forward process. Applied initially online via the UCSF website, contacted about two weeks later to schedule a phone screening with the direct supervisor and the individual who previously held the position prior to promotion. (1st PLUS: internal opportunities for lateral/horizontal growth).

Phone interview consisted of: (1) UCSF and departmental context e.g. recent achievements, intra-office growth; (2) reiteration of the position; (3) detailed description of my professional and academic profile, as it relates to the opportunity. Very personable, concise answers, direct (2nd PLUS: effective communication, knowledgeable about the position, confident/clear expectations going forward).

The in-person interview was scheduled about two to three weeks after the initial phone screening. Panel interview consisted of the two individuals who conducted the phone screening and the Controller's Office Customer Service Manager. Interview was refreshingly straight forward. All three individuals were generous with their time, communicated and answered questions mindfully. At closing, each shared an example of a personal interest/hobby, which I enjoyed hearing about. I left with a clear understanding of the position, what the department sought to do going forward with the position, as well as the expectations of all involved. Well worth the afternoon of lost pay to make these connections. Gave me some insight to the hiring process at least.

Interview Question – Again, pretty straight-forward questions:
(1) Walk me through your resume;
(2) How would you describe your work style;
(3) How do you prioritize your work-load;
(4) Speak more in-depth about your relevant experience (AKA 'why should I hire you?');
(5) Speak more in-depth about your academic background (How are your degrees relevant?);
(6) What are your career goals;
(7) Why do you want to work for UCSF; why do you want this position?
  Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview Details – The interview process was easy but the hiring process was cumbersome. The on boarding process was not very informative and at SF General Hospital--far from where I would be working.

Interview Question – How will you be able to handle not just making corrections but making sure that others do not keep making the same mistakes--and learn from the corrections?   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview Details – Straightforward, phone interview with a recruiter, followed by in-person with direct manager. Friendly, job-related questions

Interview Question – Detailed questions about how to do a specific task in the job   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

Assistant Director

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview to determine fitness
Panel interview typically among line staff
Final interview with hiring manager and peers

Interview Question – What are your leadership qualities and how you develop high performing teams?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in July 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Flew up for the day. Met in the morning with future mentor, talked about myself and what I would be doing at UCSF. Met with current postdocs. Went to lunch w/ postdocs, future mentor and a few other faculty members. Gave a presentation on my ressearch.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible, NIH money.

Very Easy Interview

Staff Research Associate II Interview

Staff Research Associate II
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview Details – My undergraduate mentor collaborated with this UCSF lab and asked them to meet me for an informational interview. They did not have an opening at the time, but they agreed to meet me anyway. I went to UCSF, where they showed me around the lab and introduced me to the whole team. I casually spoke with the principal investigator and managers. Then, to my surprise, they offered me a job at the end of the tour. I think my mentor had talked me up beforehand, planting the seed in UCSF's mind that I may be worth creating a job opening.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience in this field. (This was not a difficult interview)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I had another offer elsewhere, they sort of did the negotiating for me. They bumped up my salary without me asking.

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Administrative Assistant III
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in October 2013.

Interview Details – Usually it's a series of interviews - starting with either a phone interview or face-to-face interviews. The interviews are at times with a panel or a couple of individuals. The process is long and grueling. But it's a process one goes through to obtain a position with the University.

Interview Question – Do you work well with people or prefer to work alone?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Postdoctoral Scholar

Interviewed at UC San Francisco

Interview Details – 1st Step - Phone interview. Topics covered research interests, availability/timeline for start, reasons for being interested in the particular lab
2nd Step - In person interview. Some people are brought in person or can interview via Skype if distance is a problem. A one-hour research talk is standard followed by 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 meetings with members of the lab. Usually grad students and other postdocs take you out to lunch. Day usually ends with PI. Offer followed in a couple of days

Interview Question – Detailed questions will be asked during the research talk. Be prepared that if your audience has a different background they are going to ask questions relevant to their interests.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Nurse Interview

Nurse
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in January 2012.

Interview Details – Nothing special, the jobs are very limited because the bay area is flooded with nurses.

Interview Question – It was mostly about me and my experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There way no negotiation, there are so few bay area nursing jobs you take whatever they offer.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Francisco in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called back a month later to interview. The interview was about a hour long and mainly consisted of information being shared. After the interview I did not hear back from the PI or manager, this was 2 weeks ago.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at UCSF?   Answer Question