UC San Francisco Interview Questions & Reviews

81 interviews

2.7

Staff Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in December 2012.

Invite for interview may take longer time than usual if you don't exactly fit the qualification in terms of your research specialty. Time range about 3-4 months, follows a general academic cycle for the position openings.

Interview Questions
    • how long would you like to stay with the company, knowing many pre-meds take this job as their time off to build resume. This company just want to avoid flaky pre-meds.   Answer Question

Lab Assistant II Interview

Be prepared and have a thorough knowledge of your past experiences

Interview Questions
    • Describe what projects, other than yours, in your previous labs you were most interested in and why?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

postdoc candidate will be interviewed by the PI of a lab and several lab members individually. Candidate will also need to give a talk followed by Q and A section. PI may give an offer directly if you are great. PI will ask you to write a fellowship before coming to the lab if you are good.

Interview Questions
    • People asked many different questions that you will never be able to prepared. But the way to reply, regardless of knowing the answer or not, will be critical. One has to be mature enough to be a good scientist. Scientist does not know all the answers, but they can propose feasible way to approach the answers.   Answer Question

CO Solution Center Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in March 2014.

Very straight forward process. Applied initially online via the UCSF website, contacted about two weeks later to schedule a phone screening with the direct supervisor and the individual who previously held the position prior to promotion. (1st PLUS: internal opportunities for lateral/horizontal growth).

Phone interview consisted of: (1) UCSF and departmental context e.g. recent achievements, intra-office growth; (2) reiteration of the position; (3) detailed description of my professional and academic profile, as it relates to the opportunity. Very personable, concise answers, direct (2nd PLUS: effective communication, knowledgeable about the position, confident/clear expectations going forward).

The in-person interview was scheduled about two to three weeks after the initial phone screening. Panel interview consisted of the two individuals who conducted the phone screening and the Controller's Office Customer Service Manager. Interview was refreshingly straight forward. All three individuals were generous with their time, communicated and answered questions mindfully. At closing, each shared an example of a personal interest/hobby, which I enjoyed hearing about. I left with a clear understanding of the position, what the department sought to do going forward with the position, as well as the expectations of all involved. Well worth the afternoon of lost pay to make these connections. Gave me some insight to the hiring process at least.

Interview Questions
    • Again, pretty straight-forward questions:
      (1) Walk me through your resume;
      (2) How would you describe your work style;
      (3) How do you prioritize your work-load;
      (4) Speak more in-depth about your relevant experience (AKA 'why should I hire you?');
      (5) Speak more in-depth about your academic background (How are your degrees relevant?);
      (6) What are your career goals;
      (7) Why do you want to work for UCSF; why do you want this position?
        Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

The interview process was easy but the hiring process was cumbersome. The on boarding process was not very informative and at SF General Hospital--far from where I would be working.

Interview Questions
    • How will you be able to handle not just making corrections but making sure that others do not keep making the same mistakes--and learn from the corrections?   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Straightforward, phone interview with a recruiter, followed by in-person with direct manager. Friendly, job-related questions

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about how to do a specific task in the job   Answer Question

Assistant Director Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Initial phone interview to determine fitness
    Panel interview typically among line staff
    Final interview with hiring manager and peers

Interview Questions
    • What are your leadership qualities and how you develop high performing teams?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in July 2012.

Phone interview. Flew up for the day. Met in the morning with future mentor, talked about myself and what I would be doing at UCSF. Met with current postdocs. Went to lunch w/ postdocs, future mentor and a few other faculty members. Gave a presentation on my ressearch.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation possible, NIH money.

Staff Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

My undergraduate mentor collaborated with this UCSF lab and asked them to meet me for an informational interview. They did not have an opening at the time, but they agreed to meet me anyway. I went to UCSF, where they showed me around the lab and introduced me to the whole team. I casually spoke with the principal investigator and managers. Then, to my surprise, they offered me a job at the end of the tour. I think my mentor had talked me up beforehand, planting the seed in UCSF's mind that I may be worth creating a job opening.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your experience in this field. (This was not a difficult interview)   Answer Question
    Since I had another offer elsewhere, they sort of did the negotiating for me. They bumped up my salary without me asking.

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in October 2013.

Usually it's a series of interviews - starting with either a phone interview or face-to-face interviews. The interviews are at times with a panel or a couple of individuals. The process is long and grueling. But it's a process one goes through to obtain a position with the University.