UC San Francisco Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2015

2.7

CO Solution Center Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Francisco in March 2014.

Very straight forward process. Applied initially online via the UCSF website, contacted about two weeks later to schedule a phone screening with the direct supervisor and the individual who previously held the position prior to promotion. (1st PLUS: internal opportunities for lateral/horizontal growth).

Phone interview consisted of: (1) UCSF and departmental context e.g. recent achievements, intra-office growth; (2) reiteration of the position; (3) detailed description of my professional and academic profile, as it relates to the opportunity. Very personable, concise answers, direct (2nd PLUS: effective communication, knowledgeable about the position, confident/clear expectations going forward).

The in-person interview was scheduled about two to three weeks after the initial phone screening. Panel interview consisted of the two individuals who conducted the phone screening and the Controller's Office Customer Service Manager. Interview was refreshingly straight forward. All three individuals were generous with their time, communicated and answered questions mindfully. At closing, each shared an example of a personal interest/hobby, which I enjoyed hearing about. I left with a clear understanding of the position, what the department sought to do going forward with the position, as well as the expectations of all involved. Well worth the afternoon of lost pay to make these connections. Gave me some insight to the hiring process at least.

Interview Questions
    • Again, pretty straight-forward questions:
      (1) Walk me through your resume;
      (2) How would you describe your work style;
      (3) How do you prioritize your work-load;
      (4) Speak more in-depth about your relevant experience (AKA 'why should I hire you?');
      (5) Speak more in-depth about your academic background (How are your degrees relevant?);
      (6) What are your career goals;
      (7) Why do you want to work for UCSF; why do you want this position?

Answer Question

Staff Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

My undergraduate mentor collaborated with this UCSF lab and asked them to meet me for an informational interview. They did not have an opening at the time, but they agreed to meet me anyway. I went to UCSF, where they showed me around the lab and introduced me to the whole team. I casually spoke with the principal investigator and managers. Then, to my surprise, they offered me a job at the end of the tour. I think my mentor had talked me up beforehand, planting the seed in UCSF's mind that I may be worth creating a job opening.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your experience in this field. (This was not a difficult interview)   Answer Question
    Since I had another offer elsewhere, they sort of did the negotiating for me. They bumped up my salary without me asking.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

1st Step - Phone interview. Topics covered research interests, availability/timeline for start, reasons for being interested in the particular lab
    2nd Step - In person interview. Some people are brought in person or can interview via Skype if distance is a problem. A one-hour research talk is standard followed by 1 on 1 or 1 on 2 meetings with members of the lab. Usually grad students and other postdocs take you out to lunch. Day usually ends with PI. Offer followed in a couple of days

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions will be asked during the research talk. Be prepared that if your audience has a different background they are going to ask questions relevant to their interests.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UC San Francisco in November 2013.

The interview went well. The interviewers were all very professional. The questions were very technical and varied. The interviewers were upfront about about where I my background was falling short, and they spent extra time telling me how to go about getting the knowledge and experience to fill in the gaps. They also came to my school and spoke to our programmers club about what they do there.

Interview Questions
    • My background was in programming and database, but they were looking for some internet experience as well.   Answer Question

Education Technology Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

After an initial phone interview I was scheduled for three interviews with various department directors. The interview process was planned over a three week period. Two of the three
    interviewers were prepared the third interviewer was not at all prepared. The process wound up taking over three months to complete.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected questions came from the interviewer who was not prepared. The questions revolved mostly around academic credentials as opposed to lengthy work experience.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Francisco in October 2013.

Usually it's a series of interviews - starting with either a phone interview or face-to-face interviews. The interviews are at times with a panel or a couple of individuals. The process is long and grueling. But it's a process one goes through to obtain a position with the University.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco in October 2013.

The staff was very interested and wanted me on board as soon as possible. They made the process simple, easy and fun. People are strapped on time so they don't have too much time to negotiate with you and dive into details. They mostly see if you have the intelligence, dedication and passion to serve in such a community.

Clinical Social Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

I was hired on after an internship. The interview was with the entire team. Since I knew them from interning there, I felt pretty comfortable during the interview and felt that my internship supervisor fully supported my desire to work there and even spoke on my behalf with the director. They also interviewed 2 other top candidates for the position -- who they eventually hired as positions became available. So, I was up against some very good candidates and felt really lucky to be offered the position in light of who I was up against. The HR process, back then, was much less onerous than it is now. With all the centralization changes made as part of the Operational Excellence initiative, it seems like things move much more slowly -- sluggish even -- through HR.

Interview Questions
    • A short clinical vignette. It was so difficult, but it was important to answer thoroughly without blabbering on.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I felt lucky to be offered a position on a team I really wanted to work on. And, since it was my first professional position after graduate school, I had no room to negotiate.

Researcher Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

email communications; technical questions asked not too stressful; people are nice

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco.

Initial communication was good - and the inital interview occurred quickly. The first interview was with 2 individuals (research manager and lead clinical research coordinator). It lasted just over one hour. The research manager described the team and what they do, so it was mostly the manager talking. I spoke a little about myself. The lead research coordinator asked a series of structured questions. She was very rigid with these questions and wrote while I spoke.

About 1-2 weeks later I returned for a second interview with one of the prinicipal investigators running the research unit. This interview required me to speak a little about myself and my long term goals. We spoke mainly about opportunities and how this job could help advance my career.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you could not meet a deadline. How did you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    There was minimal negotiation and flexibility with salary.