UC San Francisco

Relevance Date Difficulty

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at UC San Francisco in April 2011.

Interview Details – Stereotypical graduate school interview process that spans the entire day: introduction by department chair, 3 individual interviews with professors (of your choosing, typically, unless schedule conflicts), lunch with current students, 3 individual interviews with professors, followed by interview with current student(s) and dinner/drinks with current students. The meetings with professors are very casual and they are often intrigued by your research as well as telling you about their's. Overall intense but very pleasant experience.

Interview Question – If you got an on-site interview, then you should be focusing on answering questions pertaining to your research experiences. Remember the people you are meeting with (professors) are world leaders in their respective fields and probably has a good idea of the scope of your project as well.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at UC San Francisco in November 2010.

Interview Details – One day interview starting with an oral presentation, following with a series of 1:1 interviews with different members of the laboratory. Lunch with members of the laboratory in friendly atmosphere. Final 1:1 interview with the PI. All interviews were based in scientific research projects

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview Details – The time it took from my initial contact with the division chief to my offer was 6 months. Interview day started with a 1-hour job talk attended by the majority of the faculty and fellows in the division. Met with approximately 8 faculty members throughout the day, culminating with a meeting with the division chief.

Interview Question – Questions were straight-forward, including those related to my research and potential collaborations.   Answer Question

Administrative Analyst II Interview

Administrative Analyst II
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview Details – Worked there as temporary employee for one week. Was asked to apply for the administrative analyst position. No one had been able to fill that position for 6 years. I interviewed with the 2 people i was going to support.

Interview Question – One of my interviewers told me that he couldn't even imagine doing my job and didn't know why anyone would choose a support role.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered $36,000. I countered with $80,000 as my desired salary. I got $58,000.

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Programmer/Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UC San Francisco in November 2013.

Interview Details – The interview went well. The interviewers were all very professional. The questions were very technical and varied. The interviewers were upfront about about where I my background was falling short, and they spent extra time telling me how to go about getting the knowledge and experience to fill in the gaps. They also came to my school and spoke to our programmers club about what they do there.

Interview Question – My background was in programming and database, but they were looking for some internet experience as well.   Answer Question

Associate Specialist Interview

Associate Specialist
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UC San Francisco in July 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, they called me with 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Questions in the interview were pretty standard and easy.   Answer Question

Staff Research Associate I Interview

Staff Research Associate I
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in December 2012.

Interview Details – Invite for interview may take longer time than usual if you don't exactly fit the qualification in terms of your research specialty. Time range about 3-4 months, follows a general academic cycle for the position openings.

Interview Question – how long would you like to stay with the company, knowing many pre-meds take this job as their time off to build resume. This company just want to avoid flaky pre-meds.   Answer Question

CO Solution Center Analyst Interview

CO Solution Center Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in March 2014.

Interview Details – Very straight forward process. Applied initially online via the UCSF website, contacted about two weeks later to schedule a phone screening with the direct supervisor and the individual who previously held the position prior to promotion. (1st PLUS: internal opportunities for lateral/horizontal growth).

Phone interview consisted of: (1) UCSF and departmental context e.g. recent achievements, intra-office growth; (2) reiteration of the position; (3) detailed description of my professional and academic profile, as it relates to the opportunity. Very personable, concise answers, direct (2nd PLUS: effective communication, knowledgeable about the position, confident/clear expectations going forward).

The in-person interview was scheduled about two to three weeks after the initial phone screening. Panel interview consisted of the two individuals who conducted the phone screening and the Controller's Office Customer Service Manager. Interview was refreshingly straight forward. All three individuals were generous with their time, communicated and answered questions mindfully. At closing, each shared an example of a personal interest/hobby, which I enjoyed hearing about. I left with a clear understanding of the position, what the department sought to do going forward with the position, as well as the expectations of all involved. Well worth the afternoon of lost pay to make these connections. Gave me some insight to the hiring process at least.

Interview Question – Again, pretty straight-forward questions:
(1) Walk me through your resume;
(2) How would you describe your work style;
(3) How do you prioritize your work-load;
(4) Speak more in-depth about your relevant experience (AKA 'why should I hire you?');
(5) Speak more in-depth about your academic background (How are your degrees relevant?);
(6) What are your career goals;
(7) Why do you want to work for UCSF; why do you want this position?
  Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in July 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview. Flew up for the day. Met in the morning with future mentor, talked about myself and what I would be doing at UCSF. Met with current postdocs. Went to lunch w/ postdocs, future mentor and a few other faculty members. Gave a presentation on my ressearch.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation possible, NIH money.

Very Easy Interview

Staff Research Associate II Interview

Staff Research Associate II
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview Details – My undergraduate mentor collaborated with this UCSF lab and asked them to meet me for an informational interview. They did not have an opening at the time, but they agreed to meet me anyway. I went to UCSF, where they showed me around the lab and introduced me to the whole team. I casually spoke with the principal investigator and managers. Then, to my surprise, they offered me a job at the end of the tour. I think my mentor had talked me up beforehand, planting the seed in UCSF's mind that I may be worth creating a job opening.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience in this field. (This was not a difficult interview)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I had another offer elsewhere, they sort of did the negotiating for me. They bumped up my salary without me asking.

Worked for UC San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!