UC San Francisco Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

2.6

47 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

For myself, I was already working at UCSF under the Temporary Employment Program, and I was immediately hired as a Sysadmin when one of my temp assignments was at the department I currently employed at. However, applying directly to UCSF is a slow process, and it can take months, before anyone gets hired.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate salary, and accepted the base salary. If you are applying to any job within UCSF, the salary ranges for all positions are posted on the UCSF HR website if you check carefully. This will give you a good indicator of what you can negotiate for.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at UC San Francisco in April 2011.

Stereotypical graduate school interview process that spans the entire day: introduction by department chair, 3 individual interviews with professors (of your choosing, typically, unless schedule conflicts), lunch with current students, 3 individual interviews with professors, followed by interview with current student(s) and dinner/drinks with current students. The meetings with professors are very casual and they are often intrigued by your research as well as telling you about their's. Overall intense but very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • If you got an on-site interview, then you should be focusing on answering questions pertaining to your research experiences. Remember the people you are meeting with (professors) are world leaders in their respective fields and probably has a good idea of the scope of your project as well.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at UC San Francisco in November 2010.

One day interview starting with an oral presentation, following with a series of 1:1 interviews with different members of the laboratory. Lunch with members of the laboratory in friendly atmosphere. Final 1:1 interview with the PI. All interviews were based in scientific research projects

No negotiation

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

The time it took from my initial contact with the division chief to my offer was 6 months. Interview day started with a 1-hour job talk attended by the majority of the faculty and fellows in the division. Met with approximately 8 faculty members throughout the day, culminating with a meeting with the division chief.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were straight-forward, including those related to my research and potential collaborations.   Answer Question

Administrative Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Worked there as temporary employee for one week. Was asked to apply for the administrative analyst position. No one had been able to fill that position for 6 years. I interviewed with the 2 people i was going to support.

Interview Questions
    • One of my interviewers told me that he couldn't even imagine doing my job and didn't know why anyone would choose a support role.   Answer Question
    They offered $36,000. I countered with $80,000 as my desired salary. I got $58,000.

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UC San Francisco in November 2013.

The interview went well. The interviewers were all very professional. The questions were very technical and varied. The interviewers were upfront about about where I my background was falling short, and they spent extra time telling me how to go about getting the knowledge and experience to fill in the gaps. They also came to my school and spoke to our programmers club about what they do there.

Interview Questions
    • My background was in programming and database, but they were looking for some internet experience as well.   Answer Question

Associate Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UC San Francisco in July 2010.

Applied online, they called me with 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Questions in the interview were pretty standard and easy.   Answer Question

Staff Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in December 2012.

Invite for interview may take longer time than usual if you don't exactly fit the qualification in terms of your research specialty. Time range about 3-4 months, follows a general academic cycle for the position openings.

Interview Questions
    • how long would you like to stay with the company, knowing many pre-meds take this job as their time off to build resume. This company just want to avoid flaky pre-meds.   Answer Question

CO Solution Center Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in March 2014.

Very straight forward process. Applied initially online via the UCSF website, contacted about two weeks later to schedule a phone screening with the direct supervisor and the individual who previously held the position prior to promotion. (1st PLUS: internal opportunities for lateral/horizontal growth).

Phone interview consisted of: (1) UCSF and departmental context e.g. recent achievements, intra-office growth; (2) reiteration of the position; (3) detailed description of my professional and academic profile, as it relates to the opportunity. Very personable, concise answers, direct (2nd PLUS: effective communication, knowledgeable about the position, confident/clear expectations going forward).

The in-person interview was scheduled about two to three weeks after the initial phone screening. Panel interview consisted of the two individuals who conducted the phone screening and the Controller's Office Customer Service Manager. Interview was refreshingly straight forward. All three individuals were generous with their time, communicated and answered questions mindfully. At closing, each shared an example of a personal interest/hobby, which I enjoyed hearing about. I left with a clear understanding of the position, what the department sought to do going forward with the position, as well as the expectations of all involved. Well worth the afternoon of lost pay to make these connections. Gave me some insight to the hiring process at least.

Interview Questions
    • Again, pretty straight-forward questions:
      (1) Walk me through your resume;
      (2) How would you describe your work style;
      (3) How do you prioritize your work-load;
      (4) Speak more in-depth about your relevant experience (AKA 'why should I hire you?');
      (5) Speak more in-depth about your academic background (How are your degrees relevant?);
      (6) What are your career goals;
      (7) Why do you want to work for UCSF; why do you want this position?
        Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in July 2012.

Phone interview. Flew up for the day. Met in the morning with future mentor, talked about myself and what I would be doing at UCSF. Met with current postdocs. Went to lunch w/ postdocs, future mentor and a few other faculty members. Gave a presentation on my ressearch.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation possible, NIH money.

Worked for UC San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!