UC San Francisco Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Apr 11, 2015
Updated Apr 11, 2015

2.6

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I interviewed for 5-6 different CRC jobs, all from online applications. I would typically get contacted within 1-3 weeks of submitting my application, either by email or phone (though I've gotten interview requests up to 2 months afterwards.) There would be a phone screen and then an in-person interview on site. The in-person interview would sometimes also involve the PI/doctor directing the project, or a number of other CRCs.

There were usually no surprise questions. The people interviewing were, for the most part (with only 1-2 exceptions), very passionate about their work and just looking to hire the most qualified candidate. Interviews typically started with a more detailed description of the research and the position. They asked about my previous work experience, other activities, why I was interested in the job, where I saw myself a few years down the road, other typical things like that. What I found most challenging was honestly coming up with good questions, because the interviewers were generally very thorough in their position descriptions. Many of the interviewers did ask the strengths/weaknesses questions - be prepared with an answer and examples that tie in to the specific job duties.

For a few of these positions, about a week after the in-person interview, I was asked to send over my references. About a week after that was when I was informed either of my rejection or acceptance (by phone call.)

One of my interviews for a CRC position was a full hour-long behavioral interview with lots of questions including "three words to describe yourself" as well as the typical "tell me a time when..." etc, etc. I was actually very frustrated with this interview because we did not discuss the position in much detail, nor did the actual topic of research actually get brought up. That was a very disappointing experience, but the thing is, while CRC job listings all resemble each other very closely, each interview varies widely depending on the project and the people involved. Do your research and practice! Being familiar with the particular project is really the most important thing to prepare (as well as being ready to hash out your past in a relevant manner.) For the most part, however, I had good experiences - straightforward interviews with interested people who didn't want to waste time on irrelevant discussions. No trick questions, just honest talking - those were the interviewers I respected the most.

Interview Questions

• In the behavioral interview: Tell me about something you would now do differently if you had a chance to go back and change your decision.
      In normal interviews: a case question about what to do when you had to consent two patients but were short on time

Answer Question

(To clarify, I did not get accepted to all, just one, but declined in favor of a non-research job.)

Staff Research Associate III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Submitted cover letter and resume to listed email address. Received a call back within a couple days for an initial phone interview. Was invited to 2 subsequent in-person interviews to meet with different stakeholders (imagine it would have been just 1 interview if all their schedules had aligned). Was offered a position within 2 days after last in-person interview. HR process takes about 2-3 weeks to complete in addition.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years and how does this position play a role in achieving that?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't much room to negotiate as the position salary is UC regulated and they were open with what that range was (I was able to confirm pretty easily looking online). Start date, hours, etc were very easily negotiated, but again subject to UC policy.

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

As this was an academic interview, I imagine the process is very specific to the PI interviewing. In my case it involved a phone interview with my PI, followed by an in person interview, where we discussed the role. I then met informally with a more senior PI, and other postdocs and research assistants in the lab. There was no interaction with HR or anyone from the university itself.

Interview Questions

• Relevant questions about my PhD and previous research projects   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I submitted my application online. The application packet included a resume, at least 3 letters of recommendation, and several essays and short answer questions (including questions about GRE scores and publication record). The submission deadline was sometime in November. I was called for an interview in January and interviewed on campus in early February. I interviewed with 5 faculty and 1 student in the Tetrad graduate program. The interviews were each 30 minutes long and consisted of describing my research, my goals for graduate school, and what I was looking for in a graduate institution. Each professor explained their research and I asked questions to them about their research.

Interview Questions

• Why do you not have any publications from your undergraduate research?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I told them I wanted to defer acceptance for one year. They asked me what I planned to do during this year and I told them I had a high school teaching project lined up. They gave me the deferral.

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

For myself, I was already working at UCSF under the Temporary Employment Program, and I was immediately hired as a Sysadmin when one of my temp assignments was at the department I currently employed at. However, applying directly to UCSF is a slow process, and it can take months, before anyone gets hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate salary, and accepted the base salary. If you are applying to any job within UCSF, the salary ranges for all positions are posted on the UCSF HR website if you check carefully. This will give you a good indicator of what you can negotiate for.

Analyst I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Hiring manager was pleasant and I had an enjoyable experience interviewing with her. However, it was clear I was over-qualified for the position with my experience and education. Despite my enthusiasm and reassurance, she must have felt that I would not stay long in the position supporting the chief-of-staff -- or that I would be jockeying for her job someday (?).

Research Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Was interviewed by the PI regarding my past research experiences and general personality questions. After the PI interview, I got to meet other people in the lab to see what kind of chemistry I had with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Tell me about a kind of hardship you had to overcome to get to where you are now in life.
      What do you want to do in the future?
      Do you feel lucky in life?
      Tell me about a time you had a conflict in the workplace.

Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The time it took from my initial contact with the division chief to my offer was 6 months. Interview day started with a 1-hour job talk attended by the majority of the faculty and fellows in the division. Met with approximately 8 faculty members throughout the day, culminating with a meeting with the division chief.

Interview Questions

• Questions were straight-forward, including those related to my research and potential collaborations.   Answer Question

Administrative Analyst II Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Worked there as temporary employee for one week. Was asked to apply for the administrative analyst position. No one had been able to fill that position for 6 years. I interviewed with the 2 people i was going to support.

Interview Questions

• One of my interviewers told me that he couldn't even imagine doing my job and didn't know why anyone would choose a support role.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered $36,000. I countered with $80,000 as my desired salary. I got $58,000.

CO Solution Center Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UC San Francisco (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Very straight forward process. Applied initially online via the UCSF website, contacted about two weeks later to schedule a phone screening with the direct supervisor and the individual who previously held the position prior to promotion. (1st PLUS: internal opportunities for lateral/horizontal growth).

Phone interview consisted of: (1) UCSF and departmental context e.g. recent achievements, intra-office growth; (2) reiteration of the position; (3) detailed description of my professional and academic profile, as it relates to the opportunity. Very personable, concise answers, direct (2nd PLUS: effective communication, knowledgeable about the position, confident/clear expectations going forward).

The in-person interview was scheduled about two to three weeks after the initial phone screening. Panel interview consisted of the two individuals who conducted the phone screening and the Controller's Office Customer Service Manager. Interview was refreshingly straight forward. All three individuals were generous with their time, communicated and answered questions mindfully. At closing, each shared an example of a personal interest/hobby, which I enjoyed hearing about. I left with a clear understanding of the position, what the department sought to do going forward with the position, as well as the expectations of all involved. Well worth the afternoon of lost pay to make these connections. Gave me some insight to the hiring process at least.

Interview Questions

• Again, pretty straight-forward questions:
      (1) Walk me through your resume;
      (2) How would you describe your work style;
      (3) How do you prioritize your work-load;
      (4) Speak more in-depth about your relevant experience (AKA 'why should I hire you?');
      (5) Speak more in-depth about your academic background (How are your degrees relevant?);
      (6) What are your career goals;
      (7) Why do you want to work for UCSF; why do you want this position?