UC San Francisco

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in December 2012.

Interview Details – Invite for interview may take longer time than usual if you don't exactly fit the qualification in terms of your research specialty. Time range about 3-4 months, follows a general academic cycle for the position openings.

Interview Question – how long would you like to stay with the company, knowing many pre-meds take this job as their time off to build resume. This company just want to avoid flaky pre-meds.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at UC San Francisco in April 2012.

Interview Details – First received an email for a phone interview, which turned out to be relatively easy and talked mostly about experiences. I then got invited for on-site interview. The onsite interview consisted of talking with the principle investigator and then a group interview with the research group. Overall it was introduction of responsibilities, the group, myself, and what they hope for me to accomplish.

Interview Question – Required some technical knowledge but not too in depth.   Answer Question

Staff Research Associate I

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UC San Francisco in August 2013.

Interview Details – started with phone screen and then on-site interview. Just common interview questions. Most of the part, they introduced what they are doing and on-going projects. Then ask me to introduce myself and what I did in the past. No challenging questions.

Staff Research Associate I

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UC San Francisco in February 2010.

Interview Details – The PI and his/her lab members will talk to you, sometimes in lieu of the PI, you will be interviewed by the postdocs, which may be your real boss.

Usually phone screen first, then if they like you, they will invite you in for an interview, show you the lab, ask you on technical skills like PCR, Western blot, etc. They will more likely than not to ask your length of commitment and future plans. Dependent on the lab, you may geared more toward basic research or clinical research.

Interview Question – Do you know how to troubleshoot a PCR issue?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You don't really have any ground to negotiate, since they have preset salary level for each position. But that's the dependent on the PI and how much grant money the lab has.

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at UC San Francisco in May 2008.

Interview Details – Contact via email for an in-person interview.
interviewed with a PI & a direct supervisor in a same room.
lasted ~85 minutes total.
after accepted the offer, unofficial individual meetings for about 2 hours with the rest of the coworkers.

Interview Question – what are your future plans   Answer Question

Staff Research Associate I

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco in December 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was relatively simple. I was invited for a sit down interview with the boss whom asked me general questions about my background. Afterwards, I got a tour of the entire lab.

Interview Question – N/A   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Very Easy Interview

Staff Research Associate I

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview Details – I applied through UCSF Careers website and was contacted within 2 weeks. I scheduled with the PI for an interview. The interview questions were mostly about my undergraduate experience and was in a very casual environment.

Interview Question – Tell me about your work in college.   View Answer

Staff Research Associate I

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of a meeting with the PI as well as interviews with the rest of the lab members.

Interview Question – Most of the questions were standard interview questions.   Answer Question

Staff Research Associate I

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at UC San Francisco.

Interview Details – Applied through college career center. Took a few weeks before getting a phone interview.

Interview Question – What are your weaknesses and strengths specifically in science?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at UC San Francisco

Worked for UC San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC San Francisco Staff Research Associate I interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by UC San Francisco employees and interview candidates.