UC Santa Barbara Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2015

2.6

Event Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UC Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara, CA).

Interview

Skype interview, felt more like a roast then a fact finding mission. Might be a good technique from there side. Seemed unnecessary from mine. Felt the interviewer was dismissive and unorganized.

Interview Questions

• Why you would be good for the job   1 Answer

Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UC Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara, CA).

Interview

One phone screen and two in person interviews. Application to offer in about a month. Director called to ask a few questions and scheduled an interview for the following week. I was offered a Skype interview because I did not live in SB, but I drove up for an in person interview to get a feel for the campus. The first meeting went well so the director scheduled a second meeting with a few other department heads for that afternoon. This was unexpected and I had to adjust my travel plans, but it went well overall. I'd recommend getting to campus early if you have an interview because some of the buildings on campus are pretty hard to navigate and parking is generally far away for visitors.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at UCSB? Tell me about you experience with xyz. Tell me about how you manage time and competing priorities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer came from HR and moving expenses were negotiated. Three weeks vacation is standard which was nice. Good benefits package.

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

Interview

interviewed with 3 people: Director, and 2 financial analyst employee. Questions were pretty basic. What is your greatest strength. Comparison to previous job experiences. Process took 1 day. They called a week later to offer the job.

Negotiation

was willing to make a raise

Assistant Professor Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

Interview

Initial communications were via email and were in response to an earlier inquiry about the position. The interview was well planned regarding logistics. The interview itself revolved a lot around pregnancy and family topics. Most of the information was certainly well intentioned. Perhaps there was an issue in the past and people were trying to be accommodating.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

Interview

The hiring process takes awhile. On the phone interview, I was asked around 10-15 HR type questions by the hiring panel (made up of employees in the department I was applying for). This portion took one hour. I was then called by a second panel (current employees in the position I'm applying for) and talked to them for about 20 minutes. A couple of questions were repeated. They were all very normal questions, such as "Would you consider yourself an independent person or a team player? and What was the biggest challenge in your last job?".

Interview Questions

• Name a project where you were unsuccessful and explain why.   Answer Question

Junior Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

Interview

Graduate school process. Very short. Can you do this kind of work? The job does not pay as much as industry, but we do provide medical and dental and a nice enviroment and you get to try your own experments. Does this sound like job for You?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

short

Interview

Had an in-person interview with two people who worked in the more creative side of the SSI&T department. They asked questions from a formal list (front and back of a piece of paper) and jotted down my answers. The interview lasted for about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Clients sometimes don't know what's best for them. They envision it one way but it's not really the best way to solve their problem. How do you address this issue? How do you explain to the client?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase. Set student salary.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UC Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara, CA).

Interview

Your job appointment status depends on your PI. Speak with all of their current students and if they are unwilling to speak clearly and honestly take that as a warning. Also, be aware that they can fire you at any time for any reason and you have no power to appose it not will the department help or protect you.

Interview Questions

• They will just ask you random questions based upon your previous research experience.   Answer Question

Executive Committee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UC Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Came in for standard Q&A interview with current committee board. Interview was rescheduled once and day of interview, scheduled interview was postponed due to technical issues. Interviewers and interview process was extremely laid back.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Interview

Phone interview followed by campus visit, seminar