UC Santa Barbara

Updated Dec 13, 2014

2.4

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

interviewed with 3 people: Director, and 2 financial analyst employee. Questions were pretty basic. What is your greatest strength. Comparison to previous job experiences. Process took 1 day. They called a week later to offer the job.

was willing to make a raise

Assistant Professor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

Initial communications were via email and were in response to an earlier inquiry about the position. The interview was well planned regarding logistics. The interview itself revolved a lot around pregnancy and family topics. Most of the information was certainly well intentioned. Perhaps there was an issue in the past and people were trying to be accommodating.

Admissions Counselor/Evaluator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

The hiring process takes awhile. On the phone interview, I was asked around 10-15 HR type questions by the hiring panel (made up of employees in the department I was applying for). This portion took one hour. I was then called by a second panel (current employees in the position I'm applying for) and talked to them for about 20 minutes. A couple of questions were repeated. They were all very normal questions, such as "Would you consider yourself an independent person or a team player? and What was the biggest challenge in your last job?".

Interview Questions
    • Name a project where you were unsuccessful and explain why.   Answer Question

Junior Specialist Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

Graduate school process. Very short. Can you do this kind of work? The job does not pay as much as industry, but we do provide medical and dental and a nice enviroment and you get to try your own experments. Does this sound like job for You?

short

Graphic Design, Marketing, and Social Media Student Assistant Interview

Had an in-person interview with two people who worked in the more creative side of the SSI&T department. They asked questions from a formal list (front and back of a piece of paper) and jotted down my answers. The interview lasted for about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Clients sometimes don't know what's best for them. They envision it one way but it's not really the best way to solve their problem. How do you address this issue? How do you explain to the client?   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase. Set student salary.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

Your job appointment status depends on your PI. Speak with all of their current students and if they are unwilling to speak clearly and honestly take that as a warning. Also, be aware that they can fire you at any time for any reason and you have no power to appose it not will the department help or protect you.

Interview Questions
    • They will just ask you random questions based upon your previous research experience.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Phone interview followed by campus visit, seminar

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

I graduate from UCSB. So no interview...

No negotiation. It was a quite good offer.

Student Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

The application process was done through the Student Personnel Assistance (SPA) office of the UCen. After that, I got a call from the Student Manager who asked some basic availability and experience questions (although no experience is needed). If you decline to work weekends and/or nights, you definitely will not get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Are you available to work night and weekends?   View Answer
    No negotiation. You get the set student hourly wage.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC Santa Barbara.

I applied online at GauchoLink and heard back about two weeks later. I went in for an interview and about two days later I was hired. This was for an administrative student assistant job at the Office of Admissions. I talked a lot about my volunteer experience because I did not have work experience yet. I interviewed with two people and they were both very nice and made me feel it was a relaxed interview. They talked about what the job was like and asked me questions relating to how I would do those things.