UC Santa Cruz Administrative Assistant III Interview Questions & Reviews

2.5

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Cruz, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in February 2012.

The interview process was very straight forward. I was asked to give my specific experience with a number of skills ahead of time. I was also given questions up front so that I could consider my answers. As far as I know, this is rather uncommon practice at UCSC for this type of position. Everyone was very friendly and I got excellent feedback after the interview. They were clear about when they would get back to me, and they followed through.

Interview Questions
  • I had the questions ahead of time, so there wasn't really anything unexpected. I don't recall any of the specific questions or any of them being particularly difficult. I always dislike the question about a difficult situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question
When they made the offer, I asked if any of the benefits were negotiable, such as vacation time, and they said that UC does not allow negotiation of benefits. So I asked for several levels higher than their offer and they asked me to write a letter explaining why I thought I deserved that pay. A few days after I submitted my letter, they accepted my counter-offer.

Other Interview Reviews for UC Santa Cruz

Administrative Assistant III Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz.

The hiring process at the University takes a while because of fair hiring practices. Just remember that the questions they ask you are the questions they HAVE to ask all the candidates, so sometimes they are repetitive or not applicable. Everyone you interview with takes notes, so be sure to give detailed answers with examples!

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't too difficult, but the toughest would be " Give an example of a staff issue you have had in the past with a coworker or manager and how it was solved?"   View Answer
    After you get a call from your unit, you get a call from staff HR. They usually lowball the first offer, so make sure you negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in June 2008.

Application was online with standard resume uploaded. The wait before the interview was about 1 month. Ten people were interviewed for the position. I think I got the job because of letters of reference and prior work experience.

Interview Questions
    • Describe your experience working with difficult personalities.   View Answer
    • Describe your experience with hardware and software recoveries.   View Answer
    • I was asked about multi-tasking and working as a team player.   View Answer
    The State of California has limited negotiations for salary rate, but has very good benefits packages.

Worked for UC Santa Cruz? Contribute to the Community!