UC Santa Cruz

Updated Oct 19, 2014
Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.6

Outrech Caller Interview

I applied online and they got back to me within a week, which I was surprised about. We had phone interviews set up. I did not get the job though, because they were looking for people to work in the month I was not in town. She asked pretty basic questions.

Mailroom Clerk Interview

you would need to get a good looking resume and the process would take about a day and then she will call you to meet her at a certain place.

Maintenance Assistant Interview

A casual conversation, really tries to get to know you. The dress code is not specified but business casual is always a go to if not for a position like this. There may or not be another student worker there to ask you questions as well so do not prepare any butt-kissing answers. They are looking for real personality not generic answers.

Senior Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UC Santa Cruz.

nothing to disclose here- it was long and arduous and had nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the programming after the hire fact. Good questions tpo not mean it is a good place to work.

PA IV - Unix Systems Administrator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at UC Santa Cruz.

Long, difficult slog to get to the interview process at all; you have to get materials ... all materials... in by the Initial Review Data on the jobs.ucsc.edu website. If you miss this date, you might as well have not applied. Interviews were doled out by committee 6 weeks after the initial review date.. interviews are by committee with pre-printed questions. State law prevents a lot of testing or re-assessment.. if you're close to the exact qualifications on the job description, you have a shot, but if you aren't, state law prevents a hire, so make sure you're well-versed enough to be able to talk the talk. If you do get in, it's easy to fake it til you make it though. There's a lot of incompetence on the hoof there, so if you're lacking in an area, you won't look bad as long as you resolve it swiftly.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really difficult or unexpected questions, which made the process odd. The questions are designed by committee, and there aren't a lot of hard hitters. Some "have you memorized commands" things, and on interviews involving coding issues, sometimes a chunk of code to interpret, but this shouldn't be difficult or unexpected for that type of job interview.   Answer Question
    Negotiation is a little minimal. They have sliding salary scales that are publically available. Largely, hiring managers' hands are tied.

Programmer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at UC Santa Cruz in April 2014.

I applied to the university career site and received a call for interview. I was interviewed by all the programmers and the supervisor. I answered basic programming questions in languages of your choice and was tested for my ability to communicate ideas. I was evaluated against several other candidates and two people were hired including myself.

Interview Questions
    • I have not learned networks programming and simply answered based on intuition. This is an important part of the job.   Answer Question
    The salary were as posted and I did not negotiate because school jobs does not work that way.

Student Dining Hall Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UC Santa Cruz.

Applied and interview phone interview set up. Asked 6 questions and was offered job in same phone call

Administrative Assistant III Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UC Santa Cruz.

The hiring process at the University takes a while because of fair hiring practices. Just remember that the questions they ask you are the questions they HAVE to ask all the candidates, so sometimes they are repetitive or not applicable. Everyone you interview with takes notes, so be sure to give detailed answers with examples!

Interview Questions
    • Questions weren't too difficult, but the toughest would be " Give an example of a staff issue you have had in the past with a coworker or manager and how it was solved?"   View Answer
    After you get a call from your unit, you get a call from staff HR. They usually lowball the first offer, so make sure you negotiate.

Programmer Analyst III Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UC Santa Cruz.

Got and interview. 20 questions over an hour, most were softballs. Took three months tho.

Dining Hall Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UC Santa Cruz in April 2013.

Well, I came in a few minutes early but the person who was going to do my interview was really busy. When she came in, we did the interview in the dining hall. she asked me the general questions people usually ask, mostly about how you deal with co-workers who dont get along or those who you dont get along with. At the end, she told me that they were looking to hire 5 to six people.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult situation with co-workers   Answer Question