UC Santa Cruz Interview Questions & Reviews in Santa Cruz, CA

2.5

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Student Dining Hall Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz.

Applied and interview phone interview set up. Asked 6 questions and was offered job in same phone call

Residential Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in May 2010.

The interview process was long, but enjoyable! First, one must pass a paper application review out of about 80+ applicants. Then, a group interview is conducted, in which 40-50 remaining applicants are observed while performing team-building exercises. Finally, participants are narrowed down to about 20 in number and are too interview one-on-one with Residential Life Staff or Academic Staff and a former RA with experience with the position. If one passes this, they will finally be selected to be a part of the Residential Life team, consisting of about 7-10 continuing/experienced RAs and 7-10 newly-selected RAs. This is how the process took place at Crown College, UCSC for the selection of the 2010-2011 ResLife Staff.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a potentially violent or dangerous situation?   View Answer
    During the final interview, you can state whether you are more interested in being a residential hall assistant (70+ freshman) or an apartment community resident assistant (30+ continuing/non-freshman students).

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in February 2012.

The interview process was very straight forward. I was asked to give my specific experience with a number of skills ahead of time. I was also given questions up front so that I could consider my answers. As far as I know, this is rather uncommon practice at UCSC for this type of position. Everyone was very friendly and I got excellent feedback after the interview. They were clear about when they would get back to me, and they followed through.

Interview Questions
    • I had the questions ahead of time, so there wasn't really anything unexpected. I don't recall any of the specific questions or any of them being particularly difficult. I always dislike the question about a difficult situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    When they made the offer, I asked if any of the benefits were negotiable, such as vacation time, and they said that UC does not allow negotiation of benefits. So I asked for several levels higher than their offer and they asked me to write a letter explaining why I thought I deserved that pay. A few days after I submitted my letter, they accepted my counter-offer.

Dining Hall Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in April 2013.

Well, I came in a few minutes early but the person who was going to do my interview was really busy. When she came in, we did the interview in the dining hall. she asked me the general questions people usually ask, mostly about how you deal with co-workers who dont get along or those who you dont get along with. At the end, she told me that they were looking to hire 5 to six people.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult situation with co-workers   Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in February 2011.

The position was advertised around campus early January and deadlines to apply were late January. First round interviews were group interviews where we had to present a one minute project on any topic to a group of our peers, participate in team building exercises, and talk to management. Second rounds were two on one behavioral interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Applicants were emailed a list of potential questions so preparation was simply a matter of putting in the work and figuring out your answers.   Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Program Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in May 2012.

Submit cover letter,resume, and internal application. Group interview with 3 to 5 people. Sometimes a phone interview to screen out before the in-person interview. Some interviews can happen via videoconference.

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions were specifically related to the qualifications, which were known to me ahead of time. There wasn't anything unexpected or difficult. If you prepare answers related to the qualifications, the interview goes well.   Answer Question
    As for what I wanted, was offered less, but promised a raise to what I asked for in a year, given excellent performance.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in February 2010.

I was already working there, and the description of the position was catered to myself.

Interview Questions
    Not negotiable, set pay scale.

FITC Student Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in September 2011.

After applying through the ER system, I was called in to do an interview. Many of the job requirements that were asked for were surprisingly not asking for solid information or paper-work, indicating that this was a entry-level job. Although it was not too difficult to apply and put word to paper, many of the questions asked by the interviewer involved the requirements that were listed prior, such as "Do you have experience in assisting people?", or "Do you have experience using Adobe Products and/or Microsoft Office and/or several OS's, such as Linux, Windows, or Mac OS?"

Front Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in April 2012.

They have group interviews. Very general questions about how you would deal with a customer or someone who came in. Be enthusiastic and confident.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you received or gave great customer service.   Answer Question
    You get an e-mail.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Cruz, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UC Santa Cruz in December 2011.

First interview was with a panel, second was one on one. After that, it was a relatively short wait, about a week, before I got an informal offer. The formal offer took two more weeks to come through.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you came up with a business solution.   Answer Question
    Higher step placement. HR handles the negotiations between you and the potential boss. Apparently lots of people negotiate, and it's not held against them. Asking for the world is greedy; asking for a reasonable placement at a higher step is normal if you can justify it.

Worked for UC Santa Cruz? Contribute to the Community!