UCLA Assistant Researcher Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

2.4

Research Assistant Interview

Got a phone call from my current advisor asking about my background. Not too many harsh questions, just about what I have done in my research. And he told me about the fantastic weather in LA and encourage me to go to UCLA.

Interview Questions
  • I do not think there is any difficult questions in the interview. The whole process is very friendly and it is basically just chatting with each other.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for UCLA

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UCLA.

Applied on-line in June, and received phone call from HR manager in Sept. Three rounds of interviews.

Research Assistant Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UCLA.

I interviewed with a specific PI for a lab assistant/technician position via Skype. I contacted the PI because I was interested in her research and had relevant experience. She asked me about my previous research experience and what projects I thought I might want to work on in her lab.

Interview Questions
    • What things would you need to improve on most if you worked here?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at UCLA.

A quick 15 minutes informal interview with an MIT grad student. Basic interview questions like "tell me about yourself" and questions about leadership roles in community, etc. Very smooth. However, working there wasn't the best since its an unpaid position and you feel like a worker of the lowest status. Typical unpaid intern type of position

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UCLA in July 2012.

you need to bring your own funding, gave them a presentation, and wait, wait, wait....wait, wait, wait....wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait...........If no further money, you must get it out right away. Not a good place to focus on research, strongly suggest: if you want find a tennue position that can focus on your research, it is better not come to UCLA. So tough here. NO money, no lab, no position....

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCLA, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCLA, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at UCLA in June 2011.

Emailing and asking basic questions in terms of chemistry.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate between how many hours I could work and how much I need to get paid to pay for my rent.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UCLA in May 2011.

Grueling: two interviews with 3-5 psychologists or doctors each time. Some of them were very nice and the interview questions were appropriate and thoughtful. Others were disrespectful and rude. Overall, it left a very distasteful feeling for me. I did get called back for a second interview, but never went for the background check because I decided I didn't want to work for a hunch of pretentious people lacking compassion. Ironically, they told me I was the runner up for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Many, many questions. One question was why I had about a four month gap in work history. I answered the question honestly- that I had lost a pregnancy in my second trimester and needed time to recover. Interviewer did not like that answer. Also, they expected me to work long hours and required a master's, but then seemed put off that I didn't want a PhD.   View Answer

Assistant Researcher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UCLA in September 2010.

No in site interview, only checked skills and experience by phone, email and referrals. Checked educational level. Contacted former employers by email and asked for detailed description of skills and experience. Received offer by emailed letter.