UCLA

Relevance Date Difficulty

Assistant Researcher Interview

Assistant Researcher
West Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UCLA in July 2012.

Interview Details – you need to bring your own funding, gave them a presentation, and wait, wait, wait....wait, wait, wait....wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait...........If no further money, you must get it out right away. Not a good place to focus on research, strongly suggest: if you want find a tennue position that can focus on your research, it is better not come to UCLA. So tough here. NO money, no lab, no position....

Very Easy Interview

Assistant Researcher Interview

Assistant Researcher

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UCLA in September 2010.

Interview Details – No in site interview, only checked skills and experience by phone, email and referrals. Checked educational level. Contacted former employers by email and asked for detailed description of skills and experience. Received offer by emailed letter.

Lab Helper Interview

Lab Helper

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UCLA.

Interview Details – interview about job, just ask questions on what kinda of person you are, what major you are and ask you about past jobs. They then show you the lab and introduce you to everyone and introduce you to the pi. They tell you there are chances for independent research after a year at the job.

Interview Question – none, simple interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Faculty Assistant Interview

Faculty Assistant
UCLA, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UCLA.

Interview Details – Worst interview experience. I declined my offer in the end because of how rude the interviewers were to me. I was called a few days after applying to schedule a phone interview, then called the very next day to schedule an in-person interview for 2 days from then. I was NEVER told it was going to be a panel interview, nor told or given an apology for having the in-person interview under such short notice when everyone else was interviewing a week later. When I finally had the interview for this *entry level job*, the interviewers were the most confrontational, unfriendly, and unwelcoming interviewers. I wish I'd have complained to their boss. They would cut me off during my answers. Act dismissive towards any answer I gave, as if I was lying about very detailed facts like my GPA or my alma mater. Very unprofessional.

Interview Question – They asked me what my GPA was and then would challenge me as if they didn't believe me. They would ask "how does this make you feel" questions when referring tough responsibilities.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant III Interview

Administrative Assistant III

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UCLA.

Interview Details – It's a LONG process, I think it varies for each department but usually you do a phone interview, then an in person interview with various people. Questions are not hard. Campus is huge so give yourself enough time to get lost if you're not familiar with the campus.

Interview Question – General questions, nothing out of the ordinary - "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" "What would you say your previous employer would tell us you need to work on?" , etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, union job

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at UCLA in May 2010.

Interview Details – Steps includes emails,phone calls and face to face discussion by different peoples at different levels of positions in the lab. First a general background introduction is needed, then detailed questions based on your CV will be asked and the numbers of questions are depending on their satisfactions to your answers.Following this is specific technical questions concerning research experience, including how you solve problems based on your own capability. Finally is the future plan if you are hired and what requirements you have from the employer.

Interview Question – what types of people you would like to become after a few years' work here?   Answer Question

Postgraduate Researcher Interview

Postgraduate Researcher

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at UCLA.

Interview Details – In person interview was formal, with an emphasis on technical questions. The hiring decision was made based upon recommendation letters, personal interviews, and an overall acceptance by the group I was going to work in. In general, it was a pretty standard postdoc interview process. I think anybody interviewing here should prepare for many questions about their prior research.

Interview Question – technical questions   Answer Question

Administrative Analyst Interview

Administrative Analyst
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at UCLA in March 2013.

Interview Details – It was months after I applied online before I was contacted about an interview. Then there were more weeks before my first interview, this time with two other managers. Then another week passed before I was told about a phone interview with the department supervisor, this time for specific details about a particular area of my experience. She asked technical question regarding the position. Can I do the job, have you done this kind of work before. Can we count on you, how well you work with others and can you work along with a lot of interruptions. Finally, nearly three months after I applied, I was offered the position. The hiring manager told me that HR was very slow in getting to the phase where the job could actually be filled; And HR will be contacting me to submit supporting documents.

Interview Question – Why did you leave leave your last employer without given management or supervisor a negative review. What salary are you expecting based on your skills and experience within the salary range posted.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – My salary based on experience was not approved by supervisor, although it was in the salary rage posted. Management responsed it was a budget issue.

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online - interviewed at UCLA in February 2010.

Interview Details – phone call interview for you to talk about your research interests and experiences. You get to know more about the PhD requirements and lab cultures through the phone call as well

Desktop Analyst Interview

Desktop Analyst

I applied in-person - interviewed at UCLA in January 2014.

Interview Details – 1 interview he ask technical question regarding the position. Can I do the job, have you done this kind of work before. Can we count on you, how well you work with others and can you work along and get the job done. would you accept a full time job if offer after the contract is over.

Interview Question – Question regarding exchange servers   Answer Question

Worked for UCLA? Contribute to the Community!