UCLA Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.6

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UCLA in May 2010.

Interview

Got an email from coordinator one week ago. Go the the on campus interview office. Sign in and then two round back to back interview.

Interview Questions

• Print the result of 2to(i)*5to(j) from the smallest one to the largest one without the upper bound.   Answer Question

Assistant Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

Grueling: two interviews with 3-5 psychologists or doctors each time. Some of them were very nice and the interview questions were appropriate and thoughtful. Others were disrespectful and rude. Overall, it left a very distasteful feeling for me. I did get called back for a second interview, but never went for the background check because I decided I didn't want to work for a hunch of pretentious people lacking compassion. Ironically, they told me I was the runner up for the position.

Interview Questions

• Many, many questions. One question was why I had about a four month gap in work history. I answered the question honestly- that I had lost a pregnancy in my second trimester and needed time to recover. Interviewer did not like that answer. Also, they expected me to work long hours and required a master's, but then seemed put off that I didn't want a PhD.   1 Answer

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Steps includes emails,phone calls and face to face discussion by different peoples at different levels of positions in the lab. First a general background introduction is needed, then detailed questions based on your CV will be asked and the numbers of questions are depending on their satisfactions to your answers.Following this is specific technical questions concerning research experience, including how you solve problems based on your own capability. Finally is the future plan if you are hired and what requirements you have from the employer.

Interview Questions

• what types of people you would like to become after a few years' work here?   Answer Question

Faculty Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in UCLA, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UCLA (UCLA, CA).

Interview

Worst interview experience. I declined my offer in the end because of how rude the interviewers were to me. I was called a few days after applying to schedule a phone interview, then called the very next day to schedule an in-person interview for 2 days from then. I was NEVER told it was going to be a panel interview, nor told or given an apology for having the in-person interview under such short notice when everyone else was interviewing a week later. When I finally had the interview for this *entry level job*, the interviewers were the most confrontational, unfriendly, and unwelcoming interviewers. I wish I'd have complained to their boss. They would cut me off during my answers. Act dismissive towards any answer I gave, as if I was lying about very detailed facts like my GPA or my alma mater. Very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what my GPA was and then would challenge me as if they didn't believe me. They would ask "how does this make you feel" questions when referring tough responsibilities.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

Interview was ok. Some technical questions, some questions about general work ethics or "are you a fast learner", "good team player", etc.

Administrative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

It was weeks after I applied online before I was contacted about an interview. Then there were more weeks before the second interview, this time with two other people. Then another week passed before I was told about a phone interview with yet another employee, this time for specific details about a particular area of my experience. Finally, nearly three months after I applied, I was offered the position. The hiring manager told me that HR was very slow in getting to the phase where the job could actually be filled.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told that the high end of the stated salary ranges are not available to new employees, that they're the highest pay that can be offered someone in that position regardless of their length of service. No idea whether that's true, but be prepared. I was caught off guard by that and ended up with a lower salary than I wanted. (But the benefits are great.)

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Phone interview with a woman who had the personality of a wet mop. Lasted about ten minututes with her continuing her coldness and barely talking. I wish interviewers realized how bad this felt. As an interviewee, you are already nervous and on edge and it can be overwhelming at times. Then, people like this have a cavalier, unfriendly attitude that makes everything worse and you feel like you've had the wind knocked out of you by the end of the interview. Phone interviews in general are a joke and should be done away with. This interview was awful. WASTE OF TIME!!

Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCLA, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UCLA (UCLA, CA).

Interview

Weirdest interview ever. Wore a suit with tie to the interview and was told to never do that again. Was insulted by one of the 4 interviewers - later I was told that she wanted her friend to get the job!

Interview Questions

• How do you feel about being insulted over the phone?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ask for more than what they offer

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UCLA in May 2013.

Interview

The phone came right on the dot and my interviewer, James from UCLA, started off by giving me a brief overview of the position. Questions were simple as he just asked "What do you know about Yelp/the position?" "Why do you want to work here?" His questions were fine, but he was EXTREMELY rude on the phone that took me very much off guard and nervous. Especially in terms of tone and attitude, which was a bit unprofessional, in my opinion. If you interview with him, just beware!

Interview Questions

• He asked me if I knew who some basketball coach was from UCLA and when I answered no, his tone of voice became even more derogatory.   Answer Question

Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in UCLA, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at UCLA (UCLA, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

I was hired by a temp agency for a 2 month assignment.

Interview Questions

• They asked me the website address and to interpret acronyms that I was unaware of during the interview. They also tested me on a type of software they use in the office.   Answer Question