UCLA

98 candidate interviews

Assistant Research Engineer Interview

Assistant Research Engineer
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UCLA.

Interview Details – Straightforward hiring process. Made contact with professor of similar skill and expertise, developed a relationship and communication channel with that person. Hiring process took extra long due to travel requirements of the various parties involved. Once in the door, many other researchers have made themselves available to develop personal and professional relationships, and other opportunities have arisen. It is a very fast-paced and output-based academic community. Excellent place to nurture a growing academic career, to make new connections, and to seek funding for your own projects and ideas.

Interview Question – Nothing comes to mind   Answer Question

Lab Assistant Interview

Lab Assistant

Interviewed at UCLA

Interview Details – Communicated with professor through email after taking class. There was an opening in the lab, so i was offered an interview

Interview Question – The interview was easy going.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

Interviewed at UCLA

Interview Details – Found it on the listing. Just behavioral questions and it was actually mostly conversational

Interview Question – How do you manage your time?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant

Interviewed at UCLA

Interview Details – Depending on department, this can be smooth as glass or a frustrating waiting game.

Interview Question – I've never been asked a question directly, but after hire, I was expected to do a number of menial tasks, and it's unclear what sort of requests from faculty are out of line.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student

Interview Details – Just submit the application and got approved

Interview Question – No difficulty at all   Answer Question

Student Assistant Interview

Student Assistant

Interviewed at UCLA

Interview Details – received a call from the very friendly supervisor asking if i would be interested in doing a face-to-face interview. i had one interview with the supervisor and she was very casual and easygoing. she called me later that night with a job offer. a couple weeks later i had an orientation and my first day of training.

Interview Question – how my previous work experience would help me with the position.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Specialist

Interviewed at UCLA

Interview Details – UCLA uses two massive online HR system separated into campus and healthsystem. They are independent of one another and do not post the same jobs. BUT the biggest hurdle is standing out in a stack of sometimes hundreds of applications that are received for a single position. Do not apply for multiple jobs that you are over or under qualified for, especially in the same department. Reviewers talk and you will stand out for the wrong reasons.

Interview Question – Critical thinking questions are common. Most jobs at UCLA require a certain of level individual oversight and self motivation. So it is not uncommon for supervisors to ask questions that zero in on how you think and approach tasks.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher

Interviewed at UCLA

Interview Details – Applied to a PhD program in the usual way. GRE, TOEFL, LoRs, diplomas etc. I had to go through a skype interview also. At the end, I got admitted. Now, I am in my third year.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions really. Just what I have done in the past.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Graduate Student Researcher

Interviewed at UCLA

Interview Details – The process consisted of connecting with the researcher, interviewing, and then being hired.

Interview Question – The length of time for employment.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director

Interviewed at UCLA

Interview Details – Be prepared for big picture as well as tactical interview questions. Use the ucla.edu site to explore the chain of command and department. The online system asks for in depth info about dates and contacts at each prior position. Can respond with do not contact prior organization. Fairly quick on the initial contact and phone interviews and then more drawn out with in person rounds. May depend on timing in the quarter and academic year.

Interview Question – Comment on what find the best and the most challenging about ucla and university culture.   Answer Question

Worked for UCLA? Contribute to the Community!