UCLA Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.6

Assistant Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Straightforward hiring process. Made contact with professor of similar skill and expertise, developed a relationship and communication channel with that person. Hiring process took extra long due to travel requirements of the various parties involved. Once in the door, many other researchers have made themselves available to develop personal and professional relationships, and other opportunities have arisen. It is a very fast-paced and output-based academic community. Excellent place to nurture a growing academic career, to make new connections, and to seek funding for your own projects and ideas.

Lab Assistant Interview

Interview

Communicated with professor through email after taking class. There was an opening in the lab, so i was offered an interview

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Depending on department, this can be smooth as glass or a frustrating waiting game.

Interview Questions

• I've never been asked a question directly, but after hire, I was expected to do a number of menial tasks, and it's unclear what sort of requests from faculty are out of line.   Answer Question

Negotiation

there was no negotiation

Graduate Student Interview

Interview

Just submit the application and got approved

Specialist Interview

Interview

UCLA uses two massive online HR system separated into campus and healthsystem. They are independent of one another and do not post the same jobs. BUT the biggest hurdle is standing out in a stack of sometimes hundreds of applications that are received for a single position. Do not apply for multiple jobs that you are over or under qualified for, especially in the same department. Reviewers talk and you will stand out for the wrong reasons.

Interview Questions

• Critical thinking questions are common. Most jobs at UCLA require a certain of level individual oversight and self motivation. So it is not uncommon for supervisors to ask questions that zero in on how you think and approach tasks.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Interview

Be prepared for big picture as well as tactical interview questions. Use the ucla.edu site to explore the chain of command and department. The online system asks for in depth info about dates and contacts at each prior position. Can respond with do not contact prior organization. Fairly quick on the initial contact and phone interviews and then more drawn out with in person rounds. May depend on timing in the quarter and academic year.

Interview Questions

• Comment on what find the best and the most challenging about ucla and university culture.   Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UCLA.

Interview

ORL tries to make their interview process better every year, but usually it consists of a paper application, a class/group interview, and an individual interview. Everyone who's interested fills out an online application (paper application), and they select who will move on to the class. The class is advised by current Resident Directors and Assistants, and you talk about the RA role and you do group presentations. From this class, Resident Directors and RAs can get a better understanding of who the candidates are. Everyone who's taking the class gets an interview. During the interview, you go through a round robin interview process. There are usually five tables, and each table has a Resident Director and RA, and they ask you questions pertaining to different aspects of the Resident Assistant job. In the past years, the topics were programming, teamwork, community, policy enforcement, and self awareness. Everyone takes turns at each table, so you'll get a chance to answer questions for each topic.

Program Representative II Interview

Interview

The time between my application submission and the first call for my initial interview was very quick - roughly 3 days if I remember correctly. Correspondence was pleasant and prompt all around. When I arrived for my interview, I was welcomed by one of the interviewing managers and was seated at a long round table in the conference room. There were a total of three interviewers: 2 Program Managers and the Director of the unit. They began with an overview of the unit's work and asked me questions mainly focused on my skills and my fit within the office - unlike other interviews I had gone on that were strictly behavioral. I couldn't get a good read for the interviewers during the time I was there, but I guess it turned out well because they offered me the job a few days later (foregoing a second interview).

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a difficult situation that you were asked to resolve.   Answer Question

Negotiation

When negotiating at UCLA, aim high and provide justification for your ask. The university's practice is to bring new employees in as low as possible unless a good justification can be made.

Lead/OC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

My position is only attainable via promotion but the promotion itself is a result from experience, ability, and devotion to the job. Demonstrate that you care about your job, reach out to the corresponding supervisors and it should be within your reach. A drivers license is an absolute must; you will be useless to them otherwise. Applying for the attendant position, which is at the bottom of the totem pole is rather easy. In the interview, don't say something that would be a red alert (not good with cash, irresponsible, tardy ofte, etc.) and you should walk out with a job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pay is set in stone, slight pay raise with a promotion. Work hours can be negotiated at the time of the interview.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Interview

Found it on the listing. Just behavioral questions and it was actually mostly conversational