UCLA Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.6

Student Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westwood, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at UCLA (Westwood, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

-brief call with student your age, as long as you can talk you will get the job, super easy, person calling you is a student so they are very easy to talk to. Questions are generic and are just meant to get to know you a little bit. Not a traditional interview at all.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Ucla Fund?   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UCLA (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Casual and friendly. Not too much pressure, but it's best to still be alert and focused. I submitted my resume two weeks before and got the interview. It was a 1:1 and it went well I had thought. I got an email 2 months later that after careful consideration they were going with another candidate who had more prior experience. I was not too disappointed because I had already made plans to go abroad that summer.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with a teammate who was not pulling their weight in a group?   Answer Question
    • Of your previous experiences, which did you enjoy the most and why?   Answer Question

Staff Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at UCLA.

Interview

Wonderful...It was very easy and I truly enjoyed speaking with everybody. So they hired me. It was a long time ago. I am looking for new jobs now. I want it to be part time with a very awesome place just like UCLA where the employers actually count on you and without you nothing can be done.

Interview Questions

• What did I find most challenging in my past job?   1 Answer

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

For teaching some of the larger undergraduate life science classes there is no formal interview, you simply let the relevant administrator know you are interested in teaching one of the classes and what your qualifications are. If you attended UCLA as an undergraduate and took the class yourself it is a big help. Many of the jobs are preferentially given to graduate students in certain departments, so if you are outside one of those departments you will wait for an email confirming that there is an available position. Then there will be a large group meeting with administrators and the other TAs where a details are discussed and scheduling is hashed out. At this point you sign some agreements and verify that you will be available to teach however many sections are required. If you have no teaching experience then there is a class on how to be a good TA which is taught concurrently with your first teaching job. This is a relatively low-stress class and it would be hard to fail at this point since they've already committed to having you teach a class. You will learn basic teaching and administrative skills and also attend several seminars relating to sexual harassment and appropriate behavior between students and TAs. For smaller classes taught by a single professor it is not uncommon to meet for an informal interview if you are not already familiar with the class and professor. Usually this happens at the professors office or an on campus coffee shop and is more focused on your knowledge of the subject and availability. Once again it helps to have taken the class yourself, but it is also common to TA a class taught by the professor whose lab you work in. If you have neither taken the class nor met the professor before it is unlikely you will find yourself in this position.

Interview Questions

• Will you be able to fit 20 hours of teaching work in around your course load?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at UCLA.

Interview

A short (20-30 minute) interview with many (eg. 11) people from the department. Each interviewer walks you to your next meeting. They provided a list of interviewers in advance and it helped to research them in advance to know what their individual research fields were.

Interview Questions

• What were your past research experiences   1 Answer

Work Study Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at UCLA.

Interview

Sent in resume and cover letter to the Dashew Center, was called for a group interview along with one other applicant. The questions were brutal, antagonizing and strangely political (?) for a position that likely doesn't do much beyond clerical work. There was some group work on how to resolve the "dilemma" of international students.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you're the more qualified candidate of the two of you?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

I was searching for labs that worked on epigenetic regulation at UCLA, and I stumbled on the lab website of my current adviser. I contacted him by email to enquire about vacancies for postdoctoral fellows and attached my cover letter and CV. He responded within a day and asked to set up a phone interview. We spoke on the phone a week later, and that led to an in-person interview where the lab hosted me for an entire day. I got to present my work in a formal setting, speak individually to different lab members, and then go out to lunch with some of them. At the end of the day, I met with the lab head and I expressed my desire to join this lab, and he seemed happy enough with how the interview meant. He asked me to give him a week before he would let me know his decision, after which he contacted me to offer me the position.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself after your postdoctoral experience is over?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was negotiation in this hiring process.

Assistant Project Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a two on 1 interview. This means there were two people alternating asking questions. All questions related to the type of work you would be doing. They emphasized on following strict access policies and how to deal with certain situations that pertained to a limited access policy.

Interview Questions

• The law school library is not open to the public, how would you enforce and inform a patron who is not allowed access. According to the rules, how can you resolve the patrons issue?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

This was for an entry-level position so only job requirements and schedule was discussed. My responsibilities were explained in general terms. I was introduced to everyone in the office and talked a little bit about myself and my background. Because I was referred by a previous employee, the process was very quick and not difficult at all. I was asked to do HR paperwork at the day of the interview.

Senior Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

I dropped off my resume in person to my boss. I believe I was asked if I was available for an interview later that day. My boss and my supervisor were present. They explained the duties of the position. They asked me about my previous work experience. They asked me what my major was. They asked me how many hours a week I wanted to work.

Interview Questions

• What skills or work experience did I have that prepared me for this position?   1 Answer