UCLA Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
98 interviews

2.6

Student Assistant Interview

received a call from the very friendly supervisor asking if i would be interested in doing a face-to-face interview. i had one interview with the supervisor and she was very casual and easygoing. she called me later that night with a job offer. a couple weeks later i had an orientation and my first day of training.

Interview Questions
    • how my previous work experience would help me with the position.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at UCLA in June 2011.

I interviewed via skype as I am from Europe. It was quite straight forward, but I would advise to visit the lab/institution before signing a contract. It is difficult to get a realistic impression before meeting your employer in person.

Interview Questions
    • No real unexpected or difficult questions in regards to the job itself.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at UCLA in March 2010.

I worked with my advisor for a quarter and then he hired me. there was no formal interview, only a discussion of interests. The hiring depended on the funding he had at that point. He had obtained a project at that point which was of my interest as well. I joined his group in the summer.

Interview Questions
    • There was no interview, but I worked on a project for which I had no background. So there is a learning curve involved. this seasoned me for the type of projects that we would work on.   Answer Question

Project Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at UCLA.

Set up a detailed profile on their employment site. From there applying for multiple jobs is easy. It can take a long time to get through the hiring process, from hearing back about your application, through interviews and getting an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Detailed questions about how I handled the termination of an employee.   View Answer
    I negotiated a slightly higher wage and a one month notice at my current job.

PhD Student Interview

Application. Submission of undergraduate transcripts, degree and recommendation letters.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at UCLA in June 2010.

1. email the professors you are interested to get interviews. Your salary will most likely depend on the funding situation of the professor.
    2. Be very eager. Even if they did not reply or shows no interests, it is usually a good idea to knock on their door.
    3. talk to professors, and if they are willing to hire you, your chance of getting admission is catapulted.
    4. submit the whole application package to the department.
    5. wait for admission, and need to constantly check with professor and remind them of your existence.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Graduate student gets whatever paid by the professor. One thing is you should mention your years of experience because that makes a difference in the salary level you are as a GSR.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 4 months - interviewed at UCLA in February 2013.

Give a 45-min presentation with 15min Q&A, nothing unexpected. Paperwork takes a while

not too much to negotiate as it's NIH standard

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Applied to a PhD program in the usual way. GRE, TOEFL, LoRs, diplomas etc. I had to go through a skype interview also. At the end, I got admitted. Now, I am in my third year.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions really. Just what I have done in the past.   Answer Question

Video Production Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UCLA in May 2012.

Written application, interview with supervisor

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation in which you worked with a team and solved a problem.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Westwood, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UCLA.

They use an outside company as the first point of contact and will conduct a phone interview initially.

Interview Questions
    • You just need to know your experience well and make it relate to the job you are interviewing for.   Answer Question