UCLA Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.6

Postgraduate Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at UCLA.

Interview

In person interview was formal, with an emphasis on technical questions. The hiring decision was made based upon recommendation letters, personal interviews, and an overall acceptance by the group I was going to work in. In general, it was a pretty standard postdoc interview process. I think anybody interviewing here should prepare for many questions about their prior research.

Student Assistant Interview

Interview

received a call from the very friendly supervisor asking if i would be interested in doing a face-to-face interview. i had one interview with the supervisor and she was very casual and easygoing. she called me later that night with a job offer. a couple weeks later i had an orientation and my first day of training.

Interview Questions

• how my previous work experience would help me with the position.   Answer Question

Project Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Set up a detailed profile on their employment site. From there applying for multiple jobs is easy. It can take a long time to get through the hiring process, from hearing back about your application, through interviews and getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• Detailed questions about how I handled the termination of an employee.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiated a slightly higher wage and a one month notice at my current job.

PhD Student Interview

Interview

Application. Submission of undergraduate transcripts, degree and recommendation letters.

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Had a formal interview process with the principal investigator. Gave a ppt presentation to the lab, and chatted with each of them about their experiences and likes and dislikes of the lab environment. Had private conversation with the principal investigator about job expectations and scientific project to be worked on.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous work   1 Answer

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Interview

Applied to a PhD program in the usual way. GRE, TOEFL, LoRs, diplomas etc. I had to go through a skype interview also. At the end, I got admitted. Now, I am in my third year.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions really. Just what I have done in the past.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westwood, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UCLA (Westwood, CA).

Interview

They use an outside company as the first point of contact and will conduct a phone interview initially.

Interview Questions

• You just need to know your experience well and make it relate to the job you are interviewing for.   Answer Question

Graduate Student Researcher Interview

Interview

The process consisted of connecting with the researcher, interviewing, and then being hired.

Resident Assistant Interview

Interview

Met with manager and was offered position within a week

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview for a postdoctoral scholar can vary by department but here I describe my experience in a science/ clinical Department. I arrived at UCLA and meet with the members of the lab. I had a private meeting with the lab's main principal investigator (PI) to discuss both my research and the research that the PI was conducting. The PI was especially interested in discussing my skill set and how that could be used to work on the new projects that I would be working on if I got hired. Also, I presented my dissertation research to the lab PI and other members of the lab.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were not gimmicky questions or case studies but instead related to my dissertation work.   1 Answer