UCLA

Updated Dec 31, 2014
Updated Dec 31, 2014

2.6

Research Assistant Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UCLA.

I interviewed with a specific PI for a lab assistant/technician position via Skype. I contacted the PI because I was interested in her research and had relevant experience. She asked me about my previous research experience and what projects I thought I might want to work on in her lab.

Interview Questions
    • What things would you need to improve on most if you worked here?   Answer Question

Resident Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UCLA.

ORL tries to make their interview process better every year, but usually it consists of a paper application, a class/group interview, and an individual interview. Everyone who's interested fills out an online application (paper application), and they select who will move on to the class. The class is advised by current Resident Directors and Assistants, and you talk about the RA role and you do group presentations. From this class, Resident Directors and RAs can get a better understanding of who the candidates are. Everyone who's taking the class gets an interview. During the interview, you go through a round robin interview process. There are usually five tables, and each table has a Resident Director and RA, and they ask you questions pertaining to different aspects of the Resident Assistant job. In the past years, the topics were programming, teamwork, community, policy enforcement, and self awareness. Everyone takes turns at each table, so you'll get a chance to answer questions for each topic.

Engineering Course Reader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCLA, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in UCLA, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at UCLA in March 2013.

It is required to become the course reader of your chosen class, your grade in that class had to be B+. However, it is much easier to get in if you have an A. Then, you ask for a form from the reader supervisor, and then ask for an interview with the professor to get their approval. Once it's done, you will sign a contract with the supervisor where you will be asked your social security number. For international students, they require for your I-20, student Visa, and passport's front page

No negotiation

Assistant Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UCLA in February 2013.

Applied online and was contacted by email. The interview was conducted by panel of 6 with questions on every behavioral skills, leadership, team work, experience and subject matter coming from all interviewers. Long process of around one and half hour. At the end it was really tiresome and one could be mentally drained out. The problem was nobody introduced themselves initially so you may need to initiate the introduction. Finally, found out that ultimately the candidate was selected internally who had been promoted to the post..........so dont know why was the whole interview process and job posting done. Anyway it was really great experience.

Interview Questions
    • The biggest challenge when you join UCLA?   View Answer

Postdoctoral Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at UCLA in February 2013.

Give a 45-min presentation with 15min Q&A, nothing unexpected. Paperwork takes a while

not too much to negotiate as it's NIH standard

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at UCLA.

A quick 15 minutes informal interview with an MIT grad student. Basic interview questions like "tell me about yourself" and questions about leadership roles in community, etc. Very smooth. However, working there wasn't the best since its an unpaid position and you feel like a worker of the lowest status. Typical unpaid intern type of position

Lead/OC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at UCLA.

My position is only attainable via promotion but the promotion itself is a result from experience, ability, and devotion to the job. Demonstrate that you care about your job, reach out to the corresponding supervisors and it should be within your reach. A drivers license is an absolute must; you will be useless to them otherwise. Applying for the attendant position, which is at the bottom of the totem pole is rather easy. In the interview, don't say something that would be a red alert (not good with cash, irresponsible, tardy ofte, etc.) and you should walk out with a job.

Interview Questions
    Pay is set in stone, slight pay raise with a promotion. Work hours can be negotiated at the time of the interview.

Assistant Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UCLA.

Straightforward hiring process. Made contact with professor of similar skill and expertise, developed a relationship and communication channel with that person. Hiring process took extra long due to travel requirements of the various parties involved. Once in the door, many other researchers have made themselves available to develop personal and professional relationships, and other opportunities have arisen. It is a very fast-paced and output-based academic community. Excellent place to nurture a growing academic career, to make new connections, and to seek funding for your own projects and ideas.

Student Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at UCLA in January 2013.

Simply film out an application and they will call you if they would like to hire you. For the interview, they only ask some basic information about yourself. If they call you, it's a high percentage that they would hire you.

Peer Mentor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UCLA.

Management was prompt and accurate with notifications via email and phone calls. I received both to schedule an interview for the next week. I was given a few days and times to choose from, which was nice since I had to mind my class times. The interview was not one on one, rather a group interview. I found it to be casual and not intimidating. The questions were broad and open to interpretation, but not too difficult.

Interview Questions
    • The only surprising aspect of the interview was when the applicants had to work together for a role playing exercise. I'm assuming that the goal was to test adaptability, team work, and leadership.   View Answer