UCLA Postdoctoral Scholar Interview Questions

Updated Jun 6, 2015

2.2

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA.

Interview

There was a phone call which consisted of me discussing academic background and previous research. We also discussed the current projects ongoing in the UCLA lab and which of these I would be most interested and suited to participating in. We subsequently discussed potential start dates.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for UCLA

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview for a postdoctoral scholar can vary by department but here I describe my experience in a science/ clinical Department. I arrived at UCLA and meet with the members of the lab. I had a private meeting with the lab's main principal investigator (PI) to discuss both my research and the research that the PI was conducting. The PI was especially interested in discussing my skill set and how that could be used to work on the new projects that I would be working on if I got hired. Also, I presented my dissertation research to the lab PI and other members of the lab.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were not gimmicky questions or case studies but instead related to my dissertation work.   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UCLA in June 2011.

Interview

I interviewed via skype as I am from Europe. It was quite straight forward, but I would advise to visit the lab/institution before signing a contract. It is difficult to get a realistic impression before meeting your employer in person.

Interview Questions

• No real unexpected or difficult questions in regards to the job itself.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at UCLA (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

I contacted the professor I wanted to work with by email to ask about available postdoctoral scholar positions. The professor had funding and asked me to have my references letters sent to him. I was then invited out for an interview, I scheduled the interview about 4 weeks after I initially contacted the professor. The interview involved me giving a presentation on my PhD research to the research group, then a 1:1 meeting with the professor. Then I went to lunch with the professor and some group members. Later I talked to some group members about their research. The day was over by the early afternoon. It took a week before the professor contacted me to offer me the job.

Interview Questions

• Are you used to working under a lot of pressure?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't try negotiating the salary.