UCSF Medical Center

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

2.7

Clinical Laboratory Scientist Interview

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center.

Group interview with numerous technical questions. Personality and presentation skills will be evaluated.Hiring manager seemed inexperienced in interviewing skills. Took forever for the team to think of a question to ask me.

Interview Questions
    • They will give you a scenario and ask how would you react to it.   Answer Question

Salary was way too low for my experience.They'll try to hook you in with a $5000 sign in bonus. Not worth it considering how low their hourly rate is.

Clinical Analyst Interview

Standard. Initial phone interview then panel interview. HR then contacts you for references. The process takes a long time from interview to hire. I waited almost 3 months but, definitely worth it in the end. HR does a good job of keeping you informed of next steps

Interview Questions
    • Mostly situation based questions. How to deal with conflict with doctors, coworkers, supervisor, etc.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Really Bad Management. Too hierarchal. Compensation was difficult to negotiate. Pay was low and was not negotiable. Supervisors had no social skills. Retail job has better environment and social savvy. Got better doing that for a few months, which helped my future professional career. Without a bridge like that I would be stuck with egghead mentality and not an executive path.

Healthcare Navigator Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center.

I had 2 interviews and all the interviewees were very nice. The position I applied for is fairly new and interesting. Waiting on a response whether I got the job or not.

Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center.

Went on 2 interviews. The process was typically straightforward. The position was eventually closed due to funding issues. I really liked the department and was disappointed that the position was closed.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest weakness. Why are you leaving your current position.   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at UCSF Medical Center in June 2014.

They asked the stupidest questions, for example they ask you things like "what was your biggest mistake," as though you're going to tell the truth or as though it's relevant to the position. They also ask questions that are literally unanswerable because they do not tell you the extent of your authority.

Interview Questions
    • What's your biggest mistake   Answer Question
    • If a patient grabbed a burrito out of the hands of a visitor then took a bite out of it, what would you do?   View Answer

The position was nothing like the description and after further learning about it I lost interest

Privacy Analyst IV Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center in May 2014.

I was contacted by phone shortly after applying online and asked to come in to interview in person. The interview was re-scheduled due to a time conflict with the hiring manager. The interview itself was formulaic and the two hiring managers proceeded to read off a series of 10-15 questions and write down my responses. Overall I felt the interview went really well, however I was told that UCSF's hiring process required them to go through all resumes before I would hear back. I followed-up two weeks later and was told they were still going through resumes. I followed up again an additional two weeks later and never heard a response.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual that you wouldn't typically expect. Questions were rote and included "greatest strengths" and "describe a time when ..."   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center.

The process took a while, but HR was very helpful. The interview was great, I was asked numerous questions about my qualifications and experience.

Interview Questions
    Negotiate if possible. It will not hurt you!

Hospital Assistant III Interview

Applied through UCSF Medical Center Human Resources Website. After creating account, uploading resume, and applying to various positions that were found on the site I was contacted 3-4 weeks later for an interview. Interview was standard one-on-one with hiring manager with a few questions to get a feel about who you are. Took a tour of the clinic afterwards. Found out I was hired through phone a week later.

Interview Questions
    • With your educational background and attributes, how does that apply to the position and what can you provide for our clinic?   Answer Question

Manager, Non-Nurse Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at UCSF Medical Center.

Crazy process. Responded to a posting on LinkedIn within 2 days of it being posted. It literally read like my current job description and felt like a completely natural fit. I was very excited and waited to hear. And waited and waited and waited. Finally more than a month later, I got a call from the recruiter to set-up a phone interview. We set up a phone interview for a few days later but she didn't call until 30 minutes after our scheduled time. We rescheduled and had the interview. She read through the bullets of the job description and turned them into questions. Interesting approach. At the end, she informed me I was very late in the process and that there were already two people in the reference stage, but she would try to get me in to the Director, but we had to move very fast. This puzzled me because I had applied, at this point, almost 6 weeks earlier immediately after it was posted on the recruitment site. But no matter, I told her I would be quickly available for further interviews and would wait to hear from her.

At any rate, I was thrilled to be moving on in the process! Many days went by again and I heard nothing. Finally, I sent an email to ask about the status. I received a response that an offer had gone to one of the other two I mentioned above and they had accepted. I was incredibly disappointed and sad that I missed out on such a perfect opportunity.

A few weeks later, I found a old work colleague was working in the same office. I decided to reach out and see if maybe any other opportunities would be coming up and get the inside track. I told of my experience and learned some interesting facts about the job I applied for. Yes, there had been two people considered for the position. Both were internal candidates and neither got it because it was deleted and the responsibilities were distributed among others. Oh, and this happened a full month before I even interviewed, right about the time it was posted on LinkedIn!

So, in short, there was never a job available! I cannot even begin to imagine why it was posted on LinkedIn and why I was lead through a process that was never going anywhere. Seems kind of cruel indeed!