UCSF Medical Center Interview Questions

Updated Apr 10, 2015
Updated Apr 10, 2015

2.7

Clinical Laboratory Scientist Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center.

Interview

Group interview with numerous technical questions. Personality and presentation skills will be evaluated.Hiring manager seemed inexperienced in interviewing skills. Took forever for the team to think of a question to ask me.

Interview Questions

• They will give you a scenario and ask how would you react to it.   Answer Question

Salary was way too low for my experience.They'll try to hook you in with a $5000 sign in bonus. Not worth it considering how low their hourly rate is.

Clinical Analyst Interview

Interview

Standard. Initial phone interview then panel interview. HR then contacts you for references. The process takes a long time from interview to hire. I waited almost 3 months but, definitely worth it in the end. HR does a good job of keeping you informed of next steps

Interview Questions

• Mostly situation based questions. How to deal with conflict with doctors, coworkers, supervisor, etc.   Answer Question

Analyst II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received an email by the hiring manager about 2 weeks later to set up a phone interview/screening for the follow week. Did well on the phone and was offered an in-person interview the same day by email for the following week. Went to the interview and met with the manager and it went very well. I was told at the end of the interview that they would like me to come back and meet with others in the department soon and that they would contact HR to do reference checks. I barely got out of the parking lot before I got an email from HR for references (a good sign I thought). A few days later I got an email with a schedule to meet the others, which was scheduled about two weeks after my first in-person interview. Went through the second day of interviewing with 4 other people and was told that they would be in contact with me soon.

Waited for 2 weeks and didn't hear anything so I sent an email to follow up. I was told that a decision had not been made yet and that they would be in contact with me soon. After 4 more weeks I still had not heard anything back and had given up on the position at that point. Its too bad because I had a lot of relevant experience and the ability to help them make much needed changes. The people were really nice during the interviews and I didn't feel like they were trying to trip me up on any questions. They seemed really interested in getting to know me more than just asking standard interview questions, which of course there were a few. I really got the impression that I was going to get the job. I spent $650 in travel expenses and 4 days traveling to and from San Francisco so the least that could have done was email me with a follow up and not left me in limbo for so long. I also wish that if they were not serious about offering me the position that they would have not wasted my reference's time by asking for references before making an offer. I only want to ask my references (all 5 required by UCSF) to spend time on helping me when an offer has been made or is in the works. If this were a high level position I would have understood that practice more so than for this position.

I have been on a couple interviews with UCSF now and they really like to know what your salary requirements are and don't back down without an answer. I really find this odd but I guess it the norm in California because it has come up in every interview I have been. I don't think this is a question that should be asked during an interview with a company that posts their salary ranges. I wouldn't have applied if I wasn't willing to be paid inside that range. I recommend knowing the salary range offered and don't give your previous salary information. I am strongly against organizations basing your pay off of your previous job. You should be paid for your experience and what you can bring to that position. I recommend knowing the UCSF salary range and making the min-to-midpoint of the UCSF salary range as your salary range. Expect to only be offered 10-20 percent over the minimum salary.

Interview Questions

• Was asked about weakness, problem with a manager, problem with a co-worker and how I overcame all of those.   Answer Question

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Really Bad Management. Too hierarchal. Compensation was difficult to negotiate. Pay was low and was not negotiable. Supervisors had no social skills. Retail job has better environment and social savvy. Got better doing that for a few months, which helped my future professional career. Without a bridge like that I would be stuck with egghead mentality and not an executive path.

Healthcare Navigator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center.

Interview

I had 2 interviews and all the interviewees were very nice. The position I applied for is fairly new and interesting. Waiting on a response whether I got the job or not.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center.

Interview

Went on 2 interviews. The process was typically straightforward. The position was eventually closed due to funding issues. I really liked the department and was disappointed that the position was closed.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness. Why are you leaving your current position.   Answer Question

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at UCSF Medical Center (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

They asked the stupidest questions, for example they ask you things like "what was your biggest mistake," as though you're going to tell the truth or as though it's relevant to the position. They also ask questions that are literally unanswerable because they do not tell you the extent of your authority.

Interview Questions

• What's your biggest mistake   Answer Question
    • If a patient grabbed a burrito out of the hands of a visitor then took a bite out of it, what would you do?   1 Answer

The position was nothing like the description and after further learning about it I lost interest

Privacy Analyst IV Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center (San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by phone shortly after applying online and asked to come in to interview in person. The interview was re-scheduled due to a time conflict with the hiring manager. The interview itself was formulaic and the two hiring managers proceeded to read off a series of 10-15 questions and write down my responses. Overall I felt the interview went really well, however I was told that UCSF's hiring process required them to go through all resumes before I would hear back. I followed-up two weeks later and was told they were still going through resumes. I followed up again an additional two weeks later and never heard a response.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual that you wouldn't typically expect. Questions were rote and included "greatest strengths" and "describe a time when ..."   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center.

Interview

The process took a while, but HR was very helpful. The interview was great, I was asked numerous questions about my qualifications and experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiate if possible. It will not hurt you!

Hospital Assistant III Interview

Interview

Applied through UCSF Medical Center Human Resources Website. After creating account, uploading resume, and applying to various positions that were found on the site I was contacted 3-4 weeks later for an interview. Interview was standard one-on-one with hiring manager with a few questions to get a feel about who you are. Took a tour of the clinic afterwards. Found out I was hired through phone a week later.

Interview Questions

• With your educational background and attributes, how does that apply to the position and what can you provide for our clinic?   Answer Question