UCSF Medical Center

Updated Nov 1, 2014

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source – interviewed at UCSF Medical Center in June 2014.

They asked the stupidest questions, for example they ask you things like "what was your biggest mistake," as though you're going to tell the truth or as though it's relevant to the position. They also ask questions that are literally unanswerable because they do not tell you the extent of your authority.

Interview Questions
    • What's your biggest mistake   Answer Question
    • If a patient grabbed a burrito out of the hands of a visitor then took a bite out of it, what would you do?   View Answer

The position was nothing like the description and after further learning about it I lost interest

Privacy Analyst IV Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center in May 2014.

I was contacted by phone shortly after applying online and asked to come in to interview in person. The interview was re-scheduled due to a time conflict with the hiring manager. The interview itself was formulaic and the two hiring managers proceeded to read off a series of 10-15 questions and write down my responses. Overall I felt the interview went really well, however I was told that UCSF's hiring process required them to go through all resumes before I would hear back. I followed-up two weeks later and was told they were still going through resumes. I followed up again an additional two weeks later and never heard a response.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unusual that you wouldn't typically expect. Questions were rote and included "greatest strengths" and "describe a time when ..."   Answer Question

Student Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center in October 2011.

I contacted approximately 40 research scientists at UCSF Medical Center, and 3 people responded back to me. I had 3 years of molecular biology research experience (benchwork and field work), but I found competition to be very steep for someone without a degree. The first two scientists I interviewed with were extremely intimidating, and made it clear that all they cared about was publishing papers. I wanted more of a work-life balance, and didn't feel comfortable working for people with such a one-track mind in the workplace. The third scientist I interviewed with was highly accomplished, but seemed to be a well-rounded person. They spoke about their team, the "vibe" around the lab, their research goals, etc. I made it very clear that I was interested in a position, and wanted to follow up with this scientist as soon as possible.

Overall the process was very intimidating.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of research experience do you have?   Answer Question
    • What was the goal of your research project? How did your team accomplish this?   Answer Question
    • How will working in my lab help you achieve your goals?   Answer Question
    • Have you been an author on any publications?   Answer Question
    • Explain why you contacted me for a position in my lab.   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Administrative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center in June 2011.

I applied online and was called by a recruiter shortly after I submitted my application. I completed a short phone screening with the recruiter to clarify my background and set up a interview with the hiring manager. I completed an interview with managers I would be working with as well another analyst. Questions asked were the typical behavior questions (ex. How do you determine priorities in scheduling your time? Give examples.) The process was quick, as they were looking to hire immediately. The company is going through lots of restructuring so although the position was stable the work was going to change. The manager was to call to let me know if I needed to come in for second round interviews. The managers did not let me know I was no longer as they said that would. I received a call from HR a week after I should have had the second round interviews to make sure I knew I was no longer a candidate.

Manager, Non-Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center in February 2011.

The process started with me first talking over the phone with a partner of theirs. Once approved they then set me up with a panel of 6 interviews, 3 of them couldn't even make it to the building and had to be done via the phone. Once then, they asked me to come back and meet with more people several weeks later. They knew that I had a deadline and provided no feedback or contact even though I tried emailing and calling both HR and the Hiring Manager.

Psychologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center in December 2010.

I had a phone interview with the head of the psychology department. He asked me basic questions about my careers goals, graduate school training, internship and postdoctoral training. After passing this hurdle I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. I met with 4 individuals 1:1; 2 psychologists, a psychiatrist, and the clinic director who was not a clinician. The questions asked were similar to those asked over the phone, and of course they wanted to know why I was interested in the position. All were very friendly except for the clinic director who I felt was trying to give me a hard time, by asking repetitive and irrelevant questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would your best friend describe you in 3 words? how would you describe yourself?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center in February 2010.

It was a first round interview

Interview Questions
    • This job is quite different from your previous job. How do you see yourself in it?   Answer Question

AA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center in January 2010.

straight forward, welcoming, easy, large corporate procedure. It's your typical hiring and interviewing process, phone screen, in person interview, third round of meeting people, drug test, back ground check, offer, accept or decline.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center in August 2009.

I was called for a phone interview and we agreed to speak at 2 p.m. that day. The woman interviewing me said they chose 10 people for a phone interview from 400 applications and would narrow it down to 3 finalists. She asked "What kind of environment do you thrive in?" I said "I thrive everywhere I go" which did not satisfy her. She then asked, "What kind of people do you work well with" and I said that I don't have pre-determined ideas about who I can work with or who I can't...that I take people as they are. She said that she just wants to make sure the person they hire will work well with the various personalities there. So I said that is a hard thing to judge in a phone interview. So she then asked what is my work philosophy. I said I wasn't sure I understood what she meant by that. She repeated the question and so I told her about a poem I read recently about work, about hands, heart and mind all working in unity....and that I put my heart into every job I do. She asked if I had questions and I asked what she was looking for in the phone interview that would lead her to choose the finalists and she said she that just by talking to people, she could get a "feel" for who were the best candidates (totally subjective I thought). So she wrapped things up and I said well am I going to be one of the finalists? She said she didn't know, that she had to talk to the others first and I should wait. I asked her what she thought my chances were and she was noncommittal and offered no reassurance which made it obvious that I would not hear from her again.

Manager, Non-Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at UCSF Medical Center in February 2009.

Initial phone and e-mail contact.
    Interview with Director and 2 other managers separately
    Another interview was canceled by the manager.
    Background and extensive reference check
    Very lengthy process before offer
    Slow HR dept.

Interview Questions
    • Questions regarding personal time I took off between past jobs   View Answer
    • Did I feel capable of handling the position   View Answer
    I gave my minimum requirement and they offered more. Quick/Easy.