UDR

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UDR in March 2013.

Interview Details – I was able to get the interview through a friend who worked there. I emailed him a PDF cover letter and resume and he forwarded it to the hiring manager. I received an email a few days later from the hiring manager asking for an interview.

He was very nice, we were of similar ages/background and had a mutual friend/coworker so we were able to talk a bit. Asked traditional interview questions and went over the job. I actually met with someone equally pleasant immediately afterwards and was supposed to meet a third but they could not be found.

The manager said he would email me within 2 weeks. In the end I didn't get it because I didn't have enough experience in that market (I just moved there a couple days earlier) but that he would keep everything on file. Disappointed but glad he got back to me.

Interview Question – None, they were all traditional "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" and "What is your biggest weakness?" type questions.   Answer Question

Operations Intern Interview

Operations Intern
Highlands Ranch, CO

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at UDR in April 2013.

Interview Details – Great process, extremely organized and professional. I spoke with the HR manager in a more conversational-type interview that lasted approximately an hour. We spoke generally about the industry and the company and what my interests were.I then interviewed with a Finance manager which lasted 30-45 minutes. Questions mainly focused on my skills, my interests, why UDR, my interests and expertise that would be valuable to the company. Lastly I interviewed with two more executives from Operations, the department I had said I was interested in and also Acquisitions. A little more specific questions, drilling down on my experiences and how they benefited UDR as well as what I wanted to get out of the internship.Very smooth process.

Interview Question – What markets are you bullish on and why?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UDR in April 2014.

Interview Details – What are your weaknesses and how would you help fix a tenants dissatisfaction?

Interview Question – How do you overcome outdated appliances and describe a work day?   Answer Question

Maintenance Tech Interview

Maintenance Tech

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UDR.

Interview Details – phone interview and personal interview

Negotiation Details – They offered 17.00 an hour and I countered with 21.00

Very Easy Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UDR.

Interview Details – Be ready for a lengthy and often redundant hiring process. You will get several calls for appointments, wait for a while after showing up and then grilled by a defensive female or gay male. Nothing against gay people, but professionalism should exist at all times.

Interview Question – What can you bring to the team?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation really.

Area Recruiter Interview

Area Recruiter

I applied through other source - interviewed at UDR in June 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview then flew to headquarters for face to face.

Business Analyst-Utilities Interview

Business Analyst-Utilities

Interviewed at UDR

Interview Details – One phone call with recruiter, one interview with hiring manager

Interview Question – Came out of "like" industry and role so the interview was a dialogue with no unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – it was more $$ than prior position so no negotiation on salary

Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at UDR.

Interview Details – Recruiter called, pretty simple interview, set up in person interview on the property. Interviewed with the community director, then was called back in to interview one more time with the district manager. Everyone was so nice, and beautiful. For the most part, if you interview with UDR, just make sure to smile and act personable. But I'm a guy, so this may have helped (since 80% of the people who work here are women).

Negotiation Details – The manager called me ahead of time to make a counteroffer to the recruiter when they inevitably would call me LOL. I did, so they can definitely work with you.

Leasing Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UDR in June 2013.

Interview Details – Interview lasted about a half hour, the interviewer asked good questions, and it was a friendly atmosphere. They did take two weeks to get back to me with an offer, and the position originally was part time with no benefits, but they figured out a way to make it full time with benefits, but overall a great experience with them.

Interview Question – How does your previous job experience relate to this?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Site was too far away from where I lived

Marketing Associate

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UDR in July 2012.

Interview Details – Initially applied for two positions with the company that were hiring in the area. There was a phone interview that lasted about 25 minutes. The gentleman I spoke with was extremely polite and an excellent representation of the company. He was able to have a serious conversation but also able to understand my outgoing/talkative personality. I was given the choice between which property I wanted to go for. He recommended the one that I chose, I couldn't be happier with the decision. The interview was scheduled and confirmed with the community director. Upon arrival, there was one marketing associate in the front that wasn't too pleasant when I initially walked in. After waiting a few minutes, the interview commenced. I was invited into an office with two women. One behind the desk and another on the side of it. I didn't know who was the manager or whom I would be working for. Throughout the interview, both ladies were interjecting asking different questions. The interview took a whole of about 15 minutes. When I left, I had that "Well they didn't like me." feeling. I received a call a few days later from the gentleman I had to phone interview with. Drug testing and criminal background check were completed as expected.

Interview Question – The questions that caught me most off guard was, "What did you think of your other property manager?" I figured they would ask about the job, but the individual themselves I was surprised. I fibbed of course, with no straight forward answer. Seeing as I left due to an unreasonable request that has them under current investigation with OSHA   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my hourly rate. He said the offer was $12/hour. With one dispute requesting $13/hr, they countered with $12.50 and I accepted.

Worked for UDR? Contribute to the Community!