UK National Health Service Interview Questions in London, UK

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UK National Health Service (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Application form: standard
    Online tests: personality, situational judgement, numerical and verbal
    Interview: basic competency questions with senior managers. They require very detailed answers so really think about why you want this job and make sure you prepare using the leadership framework

Interview Questions

• Basic competency questions: very detailed and they really want to know what you did

Why nhs? Why this scheme? Insufficient to just give a general answer

Answer Question

Biomedical Scientist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at UK National Health Service (Hammersmith, England (UK)).

Interview

I was a locum BMS (employed by Reed Agency) at Hammersmith Hospital, Dept of Microbiology at the time (2005). Just applied for the permanent vacancy because I liked the workplace an people. Interview was conducted by 2 lab-managers and one Senior BMS.

Negotiation

It was the time NHS was introducing "Agenda for change". I was under the impression that I would get my BMS 1+2 extra scale points that I was enjoying with my previous employer Health Protection Agency- Dulwich & Kings Healthcare NHS (1988-2004). The letter of confirmation of salary was sent by registered post to Human Resources at Charing Cross. After they denied receiving it, I went and handed over the letter to the relevant person by hand. Yet nothing happened. But I was told by Lab-manager that in-order to receive extra points people have to do extra duties there.

Senior House Officer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UK National Health Service (London, England (UK)).

Interview

It was commencement of the MMC programme and interviews were held by a panel of interviewers, and the successful candidates would be allocated posts in the deanery. Since it was not hospital or role specific, the interview focused on candidates past experiences and theoretical scenarios.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult thing was that the application had been filled online approx 6-8 weeks prior to the interview which included theoretical scenarios. They wanted to know what I had answered to those in the application, and it was hard recalling it.   Answer Question

Receptionist Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at UK National Health Service (London, England (UK)) in May 2009.

Interview

The interview was formal, but friendly. I was asked lots of questions about my experience and given a lot of details about the work environment and the job. The interviewer seemed genuinely interested throughout the process and they also followed up with me very soon after the interview. Even though I didn't get the job, I felt confident that I could approach them again in the future.

Trainee Medical Physicist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at UK National Health Service (London, England (UK)) in March 2009.

Interview

-One interview with a panel of physicists and HR.
    -Usual questions about why you want the job, why this hospital, where you would like to be in 10 years, what can you offer etc...
    -Technical questions, e.g. What does the circuit in this diagram do? Explain the Fourier Transform etc.
    - Questions about degree and previous projects.

Interview Questions

• What does the circuit in this diagram do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation - Well structured graduate scheme and pay nation pay scales.

Academic Foundation Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UK National Health Service (London, England (UK)) in August 2007.

Interview

Structured application form, panel interview and refererences.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None.