UM

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UM.

Interview Details – Was referred by a former supervisor. The interview process was strange. They sat me in a room with clear, glass walls in their main hallway so that every employee walking by could see your interview . I interviewed with five different people in the department over the course of 2.5 hours and had to wait at least 10 minutes between each separate interview. Many of the employees interviewing me did not seem to have any questions prepared.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at UM in January 2014.

Interview Details – Soon after graduating from college, I received an email from my school saying UM was hiring for entry level media planning and media buying positions. I submitted my resume. Two weeks later, I received an email from an HR recruiter saying she wanted to have a phone screen. I replied with my availability for the whole next week, but she never replied. I sent her another email at the end of the week, offering more availability. We set up a time. The phone conversation lasted about 3 minutes, because as soon as I told her I was interested in the entry level media planning position, she told me there weren't any openings... She suggested I email her in a week reminding her of who I was, and she'd let me know if anything opened up. Exactly one week later, before I even emailed her, I got another email from a different HR recruiter saying he'd received my information from the HR woman I'd spoken with, and wanted me to come onsite for an interview with a team working on a new account. I went to their NYC office a week later, expecting to meet with each of the three people on the account. The most senior person on the account wasn't there however. So, I ended up just meeting with two people in a one-on-one fashion. The first perseon I spoke to was very friendly, and we had a great conversation. He asked interview type questions, but in a conversational manner. During college I studied International Relations and my internship/work experiences were in higher education, so I didn't have any marketing experience. He told me that this was ok, that he didn't have any experience either when he started, and I would be able to learn quickly. The second person I spoke to was VERY aggressive. He kept repeating himself over and over, basically saying he didn't understand why I was there if I had no experience. I did my best to articulate why I wanted to work in marketing, and told him I'm a very hard worker who can and will learn quickly. At one point he looked down at my resume and said "obviously you have great grades and stuff like that" and then he waved his hand over it as if dismissing it, and said something like "but this job is actually going to be a lot of hard work..." As if my excellent grades, varsity athletics, solid extracirriculars and internship experiences didn't indicate that I'm a hard worker? I handled myself pretty well though, and just kind of figured this was his interview-style, and he probably had some reason for behaving that way. After two weeks of hearing nothign back, I contacted the male HR person asking about the position. He said they had already filled it. One month later, I receieved yet another email from the origianl HR woman whom I'd had the phone screen with. She apparently had no record that we'd already spoken and that I'd already in fact been to their office, interviewed there, and received no offer. Her email said "I've received your resume. Are you interested in a career in media planning or media buying? I'd love to set up a phone screen with you." I sent her a very nice email back, explaining the situation, and told her if there are any new openings, I would love to set up another covnersation. It's been about a month since I sent her that email, and I haven't heard back.

Interview Question – As I said, the second person I interviewed with was frustrated that I had no marketing experience. I'd done all my research on UM and the account I was interviewing for, but unfortunately he kept asking me industry terms, which obviously I didn't no, but did my best to answer anyway.   Answer Question

Assistant Media Planner

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at UM.

Interview Details – I kept in contact with HR via LinkedIn. I was told to send my resume then called for an interview. First, I met with one person from HR. She was very nice and gave an overview of the company. After she went out and 3 managers came in.

Interview Question – Name three weaknesses...   Answer Question

Assistant Media Planner

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at UM.

Interview Details – Fairly easy. Everyone I met with was very friendly and the questions were pretty straight forward.

Interview Question – Do you have a favorite ad campaign? Why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Entry Level Position. No negotiation

Los Angeles, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at UM in December 2010.

Interview Details – An interview with a few different people, all about 15 minutes long. 24 hours later a call asking for references. An offer came the next day

Negotiation Details – Nope, salary is set. Advice: prepare yourself for long hours

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at UM in September 2010.

Interview Details – Hiring manager will first call you and ask you what you know about media. At times, I've heard they question what your favorite advertising campaign is. Once I scheduled an interview at the agency, I interviewed with 5 people: 1 group interview, and 3 one on one interviews. Overall interview was very relaxed. Come prepared with questions to impress. At the end you will have to take a basic math test dealing with percentages.

Interview Question – What do you think media planning is?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at UM in January 2011.

Interview Details – First day of interviews you come in, take a basic 5 question media math test, and chat with your HR contact for a few minutes. They then bring in account team members (the number of team members and their title depends on the size of the account team you're interviewing to join). They asked me basic personality/fit questions and about my interest in media and marketing in general. A week later I was called back in to meet with the AMD on my account, who followed a similar format. I received an offer a day later.

Interview Questions

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UM in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was screened with a phone interview first. I was then able to meet with the teams I was interviewing with. Some were one on ones, other panel interviews. They were tough, but everyone was really nice. I kept in close contact with my HR rep afterward.

Interview Question – How do you make decisions?   Answer Question

Worked for UM? Contribute to the Community!