UM

Updated Nov 20, 2014

2.5

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UM.

Very efficient. Phone interview first, which is very informative: they tell you salary, possible start dates, run through your resume with you, ask you your interests. At the end of the call was told that we would schedule an in person interview. This interview was the next week. Interviewed with all members on the team. Very friendly and helpful to gain an understanding of the position. Afterwards, got an offer (about a week later).

Assistant Planner Interview

First I spoke with someone from HR, then I was interviewed by 2 people (Director and her boss). I spent around 30 minutes or more per interview,they didn't ask many out of the ordinary interview questions but a lot of why do you see this being a good fit (company and positions) also about strengths and working with a team.

Interview Questions
    They negotiated my salary before my interviews w HR conusltant so they had my offer ready once I had interviewed.

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UM.

Was referred by a former supervisor. The interview process was strange. They sat me in a room with clear, glass walls in their main hallway so that every employee walking by could see your interview . I interviewed with five different people in the department over the course of 2.5 hours and had to wait at least 10 minutes between each separate interview. Many of the employees interviewing me did not seem to have any questions prepared.

No negotiation phase.

Media Planning Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UM in April 2014.

Met a recruiter at the career fair and followed up with her via email the next day, she passed along my resume to someone at IPG in LA. Then applied to the IPG MediaBrands internship program online the following week. About 5 weeks later I received an email from a recruiter at UM wanting to set up a time to speak. She interviewed me on a Thursday and called me the following Tuesday to offer me a position in the internship program. I had 2 days to accept or deny the offer.

Interview Questions
    • ask standard interview questions about myself and my resume, asked why I'm creative, when is a time i have shown initiative or been proactive, what sort of leadership styles to respond best to   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Very casual- they care about personality and interests and you are well rounded

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UM in March 2014.

applied online around mid-feb and got a response to interview at the headquarters in NY around the beginning of march. I think I was a different case however, because I was referred but never heard from them so I emailed her to check my application status. The next day they invited me to interview with them. From what I heard from other applicants they went through a phone screening and an online interview. During the day of the interview they did a presentation about the company and the positions available. Afterwards, they split the candidates by time slots and did three back-to-back interview rounds. Process took one week to hear a response.

Interview Questions
    • They take a lot of questions from your resume so be prepared to answer what you have listed. Most difficult question:
      -what achievement are you most proud of?
      -what do you like to do in your free time?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation, salary was set based on the budget that they had set aside to train the interns.

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UM in January 2014.

Soon after graduating from college, I received an email from my school saying UM was hiring for entry level media planning and media buying positions. I submitted my resume. Two weeks later, I received an email from an HR recruiter saying she wanted to have a phone screen. I replied with my availability for the whole next week, but she never replied. I sent her another email at the end of the week, offering more availability. We set up a time. The phone conversation lasted about 3 minutes, because as soon as I told her I was interested in the entry level media planning position, she told me there weren't any openings... She suggested I email her in a week reminding her of who I was, and she'd let me know if anything opened up. Exactly one week later, before I even emailed her, I got another email from a different HR recruiter saying he'd received my information from the HR woman I'd spoken with, and wanted me to come onsite for an interview with a team working on a new account. I went to their NYC office a week later, expecting to meet with each of the three people on the account. The most senior person on the account wasn't there however. So, I ended up just meeting with two people in a one-on-one fashion. The first perseon I spoke to was very friendly, and we had a great conversation. He asked interview type questions, but in a conversational manner. During college I studied International Relations and my internship/work experiences were in higher education, so I didn't have any marketing experience. He told me that this was ok, that he didn't have any experience either when he started, and I would be able to learn quickly. The second person I spoke to was VERY aggressive. He kept repeating himself over and over, basically saying he didn't understand why I was there if I had no experience. I did my best to articulate why I wanted to work in marketing, and told him I'm a very hard worker who can and will learn quickly. At one point he looked down at my resume and said "obviously you have great grades and stuff like that" and then he waved his hand over it as if dismissing it, and said something like "but this job is actually going to be a lot of hard work..." As if my excellent grades, varsity athletics, solid extracirriculars and internship experiences didn't indicate that I'm a hard worker? I handled myself pretty well though, and just kind of figured this was his interview-style, and he probably had some reason for behaving that way. After two weeks of hearing nothign back, I contacted the male HR person asking about the position. He said they had already filled it. One month later, I receieved yet another email from the origianl HR woman whom I'd had the phone screen with. She apparently had no record that we'd already spoken and that I'd already in fact been to their office, interviewed there, and received no offer. Her email said "I've received your resume. Are you interested in a career in media planning or media buying? I'd love to set up a phone screen with you." I sent her a very nice email back, explaining the situation, and told her if there are any new openings, I would love to set up another covnersation. It's been about a month since I sent her that email, and I haven't heard back.

Interview Questions
    • As I said, the second person I interviewed with was frustrated that I had no marketing experience. I'd done all my research on UM and the account I was interviewing for, but unfortunately he kept asking me industry terms, which obviously I didn't no, but did my best to answer anyway.   Answer Question

Integrated Investment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UM in January 2014.

I was originally interviewed by someone in HR over the phone and asked general questions about my experience. I then was brought in by the team I was going to work with and was interviewed by the 4 members who I would be working with directly. It was super casual and more of a conversation then an interview. I got a call back that same day offering me the position.

No negotiation phase for associates, take it or leave it.

Assistant Media Buyer Interview

Extremely easy I set up a time and date to meet. The interview was very casual and did not have any questions that I did not practice for. The only thing that I didn't expect was a quiz but it was middle school math so no one should have trouble with it.

Assistant Media Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Interview fine/easy. Interviewed with someone from HR and then who would be my boss. Lasted approx. 45 mins. I was told I would hear back within a week. After it had been 2 weeks I contacted for an update on the position, was ignored. Finally heard back from them after a month.