UM Interview Questions

Updated Mar 10, 2015
Updated Mar 10, 2015

2.6

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at UM.

2 rounds interview. The first one was on phone from HR, and the second was with the hiring manager in person. The whole process was really quick, like 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing to difficult. walked through resume and behavior questions.   Answer Question

Assistant Media Buyer Interview

Called by a recruiter, set up interview pretty quickly. Questions were straight forward, however no follow up with HR if you do not receive the position. Math test, which isn't hard but I would suggest knowing percentages

Assistant Media Buyer Interview

I sent my resume through to the recruiter and was contacted within a week or so to schedule a basic phone interview. At the end of the phone call, I was informed that they wanted to meet in person. I then moved on to the next round of three interviews in the office. You have to complete a simple math exam before the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What is currently the biggest problem facing the media industry?   Answer Question

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at UM in January 2015.

First:
    I was contacted via e-mail by an HR Coordinator, who then setup a 15-minute phone conversation wherein he asked about my general knowledge of Media & the Advertising/Marketing Industry, and wanted to know my trajectory as it relates to my career goals to see if this job would be a good fit.

Second:
    After the phone interview, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. The initial interview was cancelled due to the inclement weather, and some of the essential team members who would be interviewing me not being able to come in that day - we rescheduled for the following day.

Third:
    I met with three members from the account I would be assigned to, individually. Then I had to call two team members that could not make it in. Not having the team members present did kind of present of communication barrier, as they did not really seem interested to discuss work related things due to them being at home.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UM.

Very efficient. Phone interview first, which is very informative: they tell you salary, possible start dates, run through your resume with you, ask you your interests. At the end of the call was told that we would schedule an in person interview. This interview was the next week. Interviewed with all members on the team. Very friendly and helpful to gain an understanding of the position. Afterwards, got an offer (about a week later).

Assistant Planner Interview

First I spoke with someone from HR, then I was interviewed by 2 people (Director and her boss). I spent around 30 minutes or more per interview,they didn't ask many out of the ordinary interview questions but a lot of why do you see this being a good fit (company and positions) also about strengths and working with a team.

Interview Questions
    They negotiated my salary before my interviews w HR conusltant so they had my offer ready once I had interviewed.

Assistant Media Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UM.

Was referred by a former supervisor. The interview process was strange. They sat me in a room with clear, glass walls in their main hallway so that every employee walking by could see your interview . I interviewed with five different people in the department over the course of 2.5 hours and had to wait at least 10 minutes between each separate interview. Many of the employees interviewing me did not seem to have any questions prepared.

No negotiation phase.

Media Planning Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at UM in April 2014.

Met a recruiter at the career fair and followed up with her via email the next day, she passed along my resume to someone at IPG in LA. Then applied to the IPG MediaBrands internship program online the following week. About 5 weeks later I received an email from a recruiter at UM wanting to set up a time to speak. She interviewed me on a Thursday and called me the following Tuesday to offer me a position in the internship program. I had 2 days to accept or deny the offer.

Interview Questions
    • ask standard interview questions about myself and my resume, asked why I'm creative, when is a time i have shown initiative or been proactive, what sort of leadership styles to respond best to   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Very casual- they care about personality and interests and you are well rounded

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UM in March 2014.

applied online around mid-feb and got a response to interview at the headquarters in NY around the beginning of march. I think I was a different case however, because I was referred but never heard from them so I emailed her to check my application status. The next day they invited me to interview with them. From what I heard from other applicants they went through a phone screening and an online interview. During the day of the interview they did a presentation about the company and the positions available. Afterwards, they split the candidates by time slots and did three back-to-back interview rounds. Process took one week to hear a response.

Interview Questions
    • They take a lot of questions from your resume so be prepared to answer what you have listed. Most difficult question:
      -what achievement are you most proud of?
      -what do you like to do in your free time?

Answer Question
    No negotiation, salary was set based on the budget that they had set aside to train the interns.