UMB Bank

Updated Dec 4, 2014

2.9

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online – interviewed at UMB Bank.

I went in person for an interview on January 24, 2012. They are well past where I expect an answer since I expected one the next week. I also someone in HR saying they would get me an answer too.

I have submitted for numerous jobs with this bank. Slow and unprofessional defines every experience I have had with hiring. Their new record for having an answer was 6 weeks via a recruiter this fall. That was 4 weeks longer than the place that hired me.

Transaction Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO

I applied online – interviewed at UMB Bank in October 2014.

Application followed by phone interview, corporate phone interview then face to face. Was asked about customer experience and previous experiences in my previous employment. Follow up interview was with phone call from corporate office.

I asked for more

Bank Teller Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UMB Bank.

Initial Online application, Phone interview then bank location interview.

Ask for higher pay.

Credit Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UMB Bank in April 2014.

After applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The phone interview itself was very standard. Among other questions, I was asked why I wanted to work for UMB, why I thought I was a good fit for the position, and where I saw myself in ten years. Approximately a week later I got another call to set up an in-person interview.

The in-person interview consisted of meeting with three individuals who would I would have reported to if hired. The first. who would have been my direct supervisor, simply described the job requirements and day-to-day basics.

I met the next two together. They asked more typical interview questions such as "Tell me about a time you made a mistake," "Tell me about your resume," etc. They also talked about the type of person they were looking for to fill the position.

If approved, I would have gone on to a panel interview which I was informed was geared towards more technical skills, like accounting and credit basics. However, I did not make it past this round of interviews.

Everyone was very professional, and unlike some interviews I've had, I had no indication that they were dissatisfied with my responses.

The only aspect I disliked was that it took roughly one month to receive an automated rejection email from their HR system.

Investment Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UMB Bank.

Initial phone interview which consisted of behavioral questions and questions about my background. The HR woman I spoke to seemed to be in a hurry and spoke very quickly. It felt like she was just going through the motions and had no intention of pursuing me as a candidate. The interview lasted only ten minutes including the questions I asked. I knew as soon as I hung up I would not get another interview.

Commercial Loan Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at UMB Bank in February 2014.

I made contact with the bank through a friend of the family that worked in the bank in another department. His referral allowed me to get a telephone interview with someone from the commercial banking department. It was a low-key type of interview where she asked me about my resume and previous and current jobs and how I thought that qualified me to work in that department.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think you are qualified as a loan officer after having been out of banking for so many years.   View Answer

Personal Banker Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UMB Bank in August 2013.

What a mess. Worse bank process I have had. The HR person seemed hell bent on failing me. Behavior based question after question, trying to stump you, until they finally do. Asked a question I was a little uncomfortable about inclusion examples. Was rather rude and would not explain what she was looking for. I don't believe either one of us learned what we needed from that debacle. Did go for a face to face once. It was a joke also, waited in lobby for 30 minutes without so much as a work from them. UMB, come on...get it together!

Center Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at UMB Bank in December 2012.

What a complete joke! I was referred by a current Center Manager--with an internal contact I was anticipating a more professional experience throughout the recruiting process. I was wrong. I first interviewed via phone for roughly 20 minutes on 12/14/12. I was told the next step would be to schedule another phone interview with the hiring manager and that it would last approx. 1 hour. The HR recruiter explained that with planned vacation and the holidays coming up it may be a bit touch-and-go over the next 2 weeks which was completely understandable. Once contacted, we set up a phone interview for 1/3 at 9am. At 8:55 HR called me and advised they needed to reschedule for next week and we would just move directly into the In-Person interviews. I thought at the time this was a good sign. I was out of town from 1/4-/1/14. After my vacation I tried calling the rep on her direct line for 3 weeks. No returned phone calls. I didn't call every day, more like every other day the first week then began to space my calls out the longer I went without a returned call. During this time I was also reaching out to my internal contact--apparently he was kept in the dark as well. Finally, in the 2nd week of February I received a call from the HR rep who said, "I bet you thought I was dead." Come to find out they had offered the position to an internal candidate, again, totally understandable, but instead of them lying to me and stringing me along with empty call back dates, rescheduling interviews, etc. I wish they would have just been upfront from the beginning.

After she explained the position had been filled, she asked if I would be interested in a different opening which was less responsibility and less pay. I politely turned down the offer out of respect for my internal contact but suffice it to say I will never apply with this company again nor would I recommend anyone be involved with this organization.

HR is the first line of involvement with any new hire--the key individuals for First Impressions--UMB could not have done a more unprofessional job in filling this position.

Interview Questions
    • None. I had 1 interview that lasted about 20 minutes...no tough questions were asked...mainly background.   Answer Question

Customer Service Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UMB Bank in February 2012.

Hiring/Interview process is done through a behavioral panel interview with 3-5 interviewers. Focus on what "you" have done in the past not "your team" or "your employees".

Interview Questions
    • In a sales capacity you will be asked to sell the panel an odd item such as a coffee cup or a pen.   View Answer
    Feel free to ask for up to 10% more than they originally offer you, if you are WELL qualified for the position. They will try to low ball you at first.

Personal Banker II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UMB Bank in January 2012.

The process for me was in order:

Online Application, Phone Interview with HR Rep, Group Interview with Regional Managers, Direct Manager Interview, Direct District Manager Interview, and lastly Team Interview.

Interview Questions
    • Standard Questions. They asked how you'd you help the bank grow their business.   Answer Question
    It wasn't terrible, but I didn't negotiate back and forth for too long.