UMB Bank Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2015
Updated Mar 12, 2015

2.9

Client Relationship Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UMB Bank (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

Phone screen followed by a 3 person panel interview. The panel was distracted and rushed, they barely engaged me at all and it only lasted 10 minutes. They obviously didn't like something I answered in the first 1 or 2 questions but were too rude to take the time to let the tension of a panel interview pass. Maybe that's how they do things but it was pitiful on their part not to at least pretend to take me seriously as a candidate after I drove 3 hours round trip for 10 minutes. They described their culture as a 'family' and fun and not at all like a bank, however they were all unbelievably stuffy and could have been cast as 1950's stereotypical bankers. They told me they might take up to a year to fill the position (read - You're not getting this job) and one of the panel interviewers yawned at least 3-4 times in the short time I was in the room. I'm pretty glad they didn't even bother to let me know I didn't get the job. The less time wasted on this bunch the better. Not that I did well in the interview, I was way off my game but I honestly feel their attitude and lack of connection was part of my problem. I usually interview very well.

IT Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UMB Bank.

Interview

Unfortunately, the interview was postponed for a week. Being that it was only a 15 minute interview via telephone, there was no logical reason to make me wait a week. Not having 15 minutes for an interview that you scheduled a week ahead makes an HR Rep look at best disorganized. As a former Hiring Manger, I know that I was a perfect match for this job, but was turned done for reasons that contradicted my resume and my answers to interview questions. In fact, I brought additional benefits to the table which should not have been ignored. Because of this, I am not sure if this is an organization that would be a good place to work. Or if the HR Rep I spoke to didn't have her own agenda. Perhaps the job was already filled and they were just going through the motions to fulfill some HR requirement that they appear to interview several candidates. Or maybe we just miscommunicated. Unfortunately, I think that they may have confused me with another candidate based on the odd response I received back. The response did not pertain to me, my resume or my background. Of course, there's no way of knowing from the outside. Nevertheless, I question why my candidacy was mishandled in such an illogical manner.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. I thought the conversation went very well, but I got the impression that the conversation was somewhat impersonal with boxes being ticked off. Furthermore, the analysis of my responses proved to be incorrect. (Not an unusual problem when HR gets involved.) If I could have spoken to the Hiring Manager, no doubt we would have had a different outcome.   Answer Question

Bank Teller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UMB Bank (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

Applied online. Phone interview, then invitation to downtown office for interview. There was a panel of five people interviewing, one being the manager of the branch hiring.Interview seemed to go well even if somewhat intimidating. It is my bank and I noticed that the person they hired looked like a mini me of the manager.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UMB Bank (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

I went in person for an interview on January 24, 2012. They are well past where I expect an answer since I expected one the next week. I also someone in HR saying they would get me an answer too.

I have submitted for numerous jobs with this bank. Slow and unprofessional defines every experience I have had with hiring. Their new record for having an answer was 6 weeks via a recruiter this fall. That was 4 weeks longer than the place that hired me.

Transaction Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UMB Bank (Springfield, MO) in October 2014.

Interview

Application followed by phone interview, corporate phone interview then face to face. Was asked about customer experience and previous experiences in my previous employment. Follow up interview was with phone call from corporate office.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I asked for more

Bank Teller Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UMB Bank.

Interview

Initial Online application, Phone interview then bank location interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Ask for higher pay.

Credit Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UMB Bank in April 2014.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The phone interview itself was very standard. Among other questions, I was asked why I wanted to work for UMB, why I thought I was a good fit for the position, and where I saw myself in ten years. Approximately a week later I got another call to set up an in-person interview.

The in-person interview consisted of meeting with three individuals who would I would have reported to if hired. The first. who would have been my direct supervisor, simply described the job requirements and day-to-day basics.

I met the next two together. They asked more typical interview questions such as "Tell me about a time you made a mistake," "Tell me about your resume," etc. They also talked about the type of person they were looking for to fill the position.

If approved, I would have gone on to a panel interview which I was informed was geared towards more technical skills, like accounting and credit basics. However, I did not make it past this round of interviews.

Everyone was very professional, and unlike some interviews I've had, I had no indication that they were dissatisfied with my responses.

The only aspect I disliked was that it took roughly one month to receive an automated rejection email from their HR system.

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UMB Bank (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

Initial phone interview which consisted of behavioral questions and questions about my background. The HR woman I spoke to seemed to be in a hurry and spoke very quickly. It felt like she was just going through the motions and had no intention of pursuing me as a candidate. The interview lasted only ten minutes including the questions I asked. I knew as soon as I hung up I would not get another interview.

Commercial Loan Officer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at UMB Bank (Kansas City, MO) in February 2014.

Interview

I made contact with the bank through a friend of the family that worked in the bank in another department. His referral allowed me to get a telephone interview with someone from the commercial banking department. It was a low-key type of interview where she asked me about my resume and previous and current jobs and how I thought that qualified me to work in that department.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you are qualified as a loan officer after having been out of banking for so many years.   1 Answer

Personal Banker Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UMB Bank in August 2013.

Interview

What a mess. Worse bank process I have had. The HR person seemed hell bent on failing me. Behavior based question after question, trying to stump you, until they finally do. Asked a question I was a little uncomfortable about inclusion examples. Was rather rude and would not explain what she was looking for. I don't believe either one of us learned what we needed from that debacle. Did go for a face to face once. It was a joke also, waited in lobby for 30 minutes without so much as a work from them. UMB, come on...get it together!