UMBC

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at UMBC.

Interview Details – Knew the person prior to the interview, then interviewed members of the lab and finally presented my previous research. It was a basic interview but generally anticlimactic as the person had made the decision prior to offering the interview.

Interview Question – no unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation take it or leave it

PhD Student Interview

PhD Student
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and interviewed at UMBC.

Interview Details – Mostly technical. Questions about previous research experience with emphasis on hypothesis testing. Assessment of level of motivation. They do not ask questions pertaining to coursework that you will take after joining.

Interview Question – Specific to my project   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No

Graduate Assistant Interview

Graduate Assistant

Interviewed at UMBC

Interview Details – RA is supported by the advisor. So choose advisor wisely. Talk with his/her previous students. Usually advisors focus on their own publications. You do not want to choose who does not want to help the student.

Interview Question – As long as you find a good advisor, you will be fine.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Executive Administrative Assistant Interview

Executive Administrative Assistant
Catonsville, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at UMBC in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process is like most. There is the initial paperwork, then testing depending on what position you are applying for. Then, the people that are considered "ideal" candidates are invited in for an interview, which may involve more than one person at a time.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The negotiation phase was very short as I had been out of work for some time and needed to secure employment as soon as possible.

Graphic Designer Interview

Graphic Designer
Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at UMBC in September 2012.

Interview Details – I found out that my initial communications were a reflection of the overall process I would be going through after I was hired - meaning that because ambiguity was a part of the interview, it would also be a part of the job. Discovering the connection each of the employees has with each other was important because it meant that there was a way that I could reach out to respond later on for following up with a thank you note.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was about what I thought art was, and how I believed it applied to this position. It made me believe I was being asked to be too subjective, and it seemed off-topic to me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, it was a take it or leave it scenario.

Very Easy Interview

Adjunct Professor Interview

Adjunct Professor

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at UMBC in January 2011.

Interview Details – Met through a professional association meeting, presented at several functions and was offered the opportunity to join the faculty. Interview was informal. Application and evidence of background in research, writing, and teaching were based on actual examples, reference checks, and transcripts. Other faculty met with me informally as my background and theirs were similar and they wanted to learn more about my experience.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salaries are based on formula tied to State of Maryland academic appointments.

Very Easy Interview

Research Assistant Interview

Research Assistant

Interviewed at UMBC

Interview Details – None, advisor has to have money to fund your research. So you research credentials and other academic performance is taken into consideration.

Interview Question – There wasnt one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none. its a fixed set amount specified in the graduate student handbook

Executive Administrative Assistant Interview

Executive Administrative Assistant
Greenbelt, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at UMBC in August 2010.

Interview Details – The preliminary step to the interview process for this position requires taking a typing test. The actual interview was not 1-on-1, but sort of a panel interview, but everyone made me feel comfortable. Afterwards, there was a series of emails. I even received emails about doing certain tasks before I actually started working.

Interview Question – The salary cut I endured was a lot more than I expected ($25K) -- nothing to take lightly, but I needed a job, so ... There really wasn't an unexpected or difficult question -- I just had to get past the 25K paycut!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation...I needed a job and they offered -- even though it was $25K less than my last job. I had to accept the fact that my last job was with a law firm and this job was with a state-run university. So, here I am ...

Postdoctoral Interview

Postdoctoral
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at UMBC in March 2010.

Interview Details – Phone and Video conference call interviews.
The phone interview was a 1:1 interview with my new boss, the video conference call was with all the memnber from the lab present.
The interviews consisted in talking about my previous skills and waht the work was about

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation

Budgeting Interview

Budgeting
Baltimore, MD

The process took a day - interviewed at UMBC in September 2010.

Interview Details – They asked about my skills and strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Question – Do you have any experience in Finance   Answer Question

Worked for UMBC? Contribute to the Community!