UMUC Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2014
Updated Aug 26, 2014

2.6

Administrative Assistant I Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UMUC.

Everything was done on the phone (this is a remote position). I was interviewed by the director and assistant director (both have been replaced since-- moved on to other jobs). The director had a list of questions about my experience at this job and my education, but then departed from the list to ask more specifically about my philosophy of education. That was interesting. The assistant director was quiet, but added some questions about my sense of the mission of education and specifically online education.
    In the first interview, there wasn't much explanation about the salary and actual work. The second interview (when it was pretty clear they were going to offer me the job), they were more open about that. Of course, both left a year later, and the new administrators had their own way of assigning work, so we had to learn as we went. I had no contact with HR until it came time to fill out the many employment forms.

Interview Questions
    • They asked in the first interview what about the mission of the organization I thought fit my personal mission, and I had to quickly google to find what the mission statement was! (I should have prepared better.)   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Take it or leave it sort of job.

Collections Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hyattsville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyattsville, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at UMUC in February 2012.

Long and drawn out over a 2-3 month process, it was a very easy interview and not much pressure. I had a lot of interest in the job, but the length of the process when doing interviews that never lasted more than 30 minutes could have been condensed in 1 lengthy interview.

More money offered thru another company that I had sent my resume to after a month and a half into this process.

Organizational Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Adelphi, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelphi, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at UMUC in July 2014.

UMUC posted the position on LinkedIn. I did a series of panel interviews--one with their HR leader, another with two folks from the Training department and another with three members of the HR team. The process was three hours and quite draining as the interviewers all asked the same questions....three times in a row. Imagine being asked three times why you are looking for a new job, what your strengths are, what your weaknesses are and what makes you the best person for the job. The interview portion with their HR leader was horrible. Imagine someone asking you to validate every item on your resume--it felt more like an inquisition than an interview. I should have left after the first hour. By the time I was done, I felt completely unwelcome there.

Interview Questions
    • What was the last book you read and why?   View Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UMUC.

3 interviews: 1hour interview on the phone. 2 three hour interviews in person with a group of peers and hiring manager. The questions were read from a list. The interviews felt more like interrogations rather than a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Although we are an educational institution, we don't have any formal training for our employees, how would you go about learning the requirements of the job?   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at UMUC.

Multiple phone and onsite interviews spread out over three days and spanning several months. Would go weeks without contact, was told an offer would be coming, but no offer ever came.

Collegiate Faculty Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Adelphi, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelphi, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at UMUC in February 2014.

Phone screening and two interviews in person with a search committee consisting of faculty, administrators, and staff. There were no signs during the interview process that the position would be canceled before anyone was hired.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a student complaint knowing the university's goal to improve student retention?   Answer Question

University canceled the position during interview process.

Collegiate Professor and Program Director of Strategic Management Interview

Initial telephone interview, followed by on site interview with selection team, then follow-up with the Executive Director of Executive Programs. Ending with discussion of salary requirements, over several iterations resulting in agreement.

Short and straightforward.

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UMUC.

Asked a variety of questions and they was not your typical interview questions. It was about 3-4 pages of questions and there was a panel of 3 people going back and forth asking you different questions.

Document Management Associate II Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days - interviewed at UMUC in June 2012.

The hiring process was fairly easy. The interview consisted of a panel interview of about 3 people, including the hiring manager. The questions were standard interview questions.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation stage unfortunately

Marketing Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UMUC.

There were several screenings prior to the actual interview. Though the culture seemed to be very driven by camaraderie, the stress level in this environment is highly questionable due to the constant change in direction. It seemed it would be very difficult to meet the requirements of leadership when they are constantly changing.

Interview Questions
    • If hired, which skills would you need to develop?   View Answer

Worked for UMUC? Contribute to the Community!