UMUC

Updated Nov 24, 2014
Updated Nov 24, 2014

2.6

Academic Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at UMUC.

I was contacted by the HR person after 2-3 months of applying and she asked if I am available for an interview at the advisor career fair. I was told to bring my resume, cover letter and a writing sample. They gave me two choices for the writing sample. The interview was okay. They asked a lot of questions about different job situations and how would you handle it. two people interviewed me

Interview Questions
    • How do you respond in a previous job when you had to perform a job function and you are waiting on the manager to give you instrctions?   Answer Question

Field Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at UMUC.

After seeing a local posting for a Field Representative position, I submitted a paper application in person and scheduled an interview with the Senior Field Representative when I dropped off the application. The interview was straightforward and fairly easy. There were basic questions about my job history. The Senior mentioned she hired me because of my history of working with adult students. Be sure to understand the dynamics of UMUC Europe before the interview (non-traditional/military students, overseas sites, etc). They definitely wanted to know if I knew how UMUC Europe was different than other universities.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating on pay for Field Representatives. Also, raises are pretty nonexistent. You might be able to negotiate your hours, depending on the office you work in.

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Largo, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Largo, MD

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UMUC.

Good interview. Basically questions on handling customers and students. Very relaxed interview that made me feel comfortable throughout. Tour of the facility was nice and met the staff. The staff was very informative on what was expected of the job.

Adjunct Faculty Interview

The hiring process was excellent. I had an interview and talked with several faculty and staff for them to figure my management and leadership capabilitites. From there I waited for a bit ewhen I got a call for an offer.

Administrative Assistant I Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UMUC.

Everything was done on the phone (this is a remote position). I was interviewed by the director and assistant director (both have been replaced since-- moved on to other jobs). The director had a list of questions about my experience at this job and my education, but then departed from the list to ask more specifically about my philosophy of education. That was interesting. The assistant director was quiet, but added some questions about my sense of the mission of education and specifically online education.
    In the first interview, there wasn't much explanation about the salary and actual work. The second interview (when it was pretty clear they were going to offer me the job), they were more open about that. Of course, both left a year later, and the new administrators had their own way of assigning work, so we had to learn as we went. I had no contact with HR until it came time to fill out the many employment forms.

Interview Questions
    • They asked in the first interview what about the mission of the organization I thought fit my personal mission, and I had to quickly google to find what the mission statement was! (I should have prepared better.)   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation. Take it or leave it sort of job.

Senior Project Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UMUC.

3 interviews: 1hour interview on the phone. 2 three hour interviews in person with a group of peers and hiring manager. The questions were read from a list. The interviews felt more like interrogations rather than a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Although we are an educational institution, we don't have any formal training for our employees, how would you go about learning the requirements of the job?   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UMUC.

Multiple phone and onsite interviews spread out over three days and spanning several months. Would go weeks without contact, was told an offer would be coming, but no offer ever came.

Organizational Development Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelphi, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelphi, MD

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UMUC in July 2014.

UMUC posted the position on LinkedIn. I did a series of panel interviews--one with their HR leader, another with two folks from the Training department and another with three members of the HR team. The process was three hours and quite draining as the interviewers all asked the same questions....three times in a row. Imagine being asked three times why you are looking for a new job, what your strengths are, what your weaknesses are and what makes you the best person for the job. The interview portion with their HR leader was horrible. Imagine someone asking you to validate every item on your resume--it felt more like an inquisition than an interview. I should have left after the first hour. By the time I was done, I felt completely unwelcome there.

Interview Questions
    • What was the last book you read and why?   View Answer

Collegiate Professor and Program Director of Strategic Management Interview

Initial telephone interview, followed by on site interview with selection team, then follow-up with the Executive Director of Executive Programs. Ending with discussion of salary requirements, over several iterations resulting in agreement.

Short and straightforward.

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at UMUC.

Asked a variety of questions and they was not your typical interview questions. It was about 3-4 pages of questions and there was a panel of 3 people going back and forth asking you different questions.