UMass Boston Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015
Updated Mar 24, 2015

Lecturer Interview

Just standard procedure, it seems they hire people not by their abilities but other factors, like whether the school is a "low enough" school i.e. definitely not a top school.

Research Assistant/Lab Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at UMass Boston in June 2014.

The initial communication took awhile, about a month, at which point I was asked to interview in two weeks. I interviewed at UMass Boston and met with the 3 PIs at the lab. The interview lasted about half an hour.

Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at UMass Boston in March 2013.

Disorganized process compare to other universities. Met in the morning, required to do a job talk, teach a course, meet with leadership (as expected). The interview was very telling, in retrospect, as morning coffee was not complimentary (I paid).

Interview Questions
    • How do you see yourself fitting into the mission of a public institution?   Answer Question

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Amherst, MA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at UMass Boston in January 2012.

Had an in person interview, never heard back from anyone.

Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UMass Boston in January 2012.

phone screen, interview, hired.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at UMass Boston in June 2011.

1 interview in front of a panel of 3, they scored my answers and stated they'd choose the person with the highest score essentially. So the more you knew about the position and academic policies, the better the score.

Interview Questions
    • I had to name a lot of state and local benefits and outreach facilities, which if I hadn't done research on the university, I would not have come across that information.   Answer Question
    HR called and offered the job, asked me when I wanted to start. There wasn't much negotiating because it's a state school and the salary was posted on the ad.

Adjunct Faculty Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at UMass Boston.

Hiring for this job was a simple, straight-forward process. I had been a graduate student at the university and I expressed my interest in teaching and, given my experience teaching while in my graduate program, was offered a position. Could be hard to get a job as contract faculty in my domain area if you have no connection to the university at all.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions. Interview was straight forward.   Answer Question