UMass Medical School Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.5

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA).

Interview

Apply via application form. Took the GREs, applied through a standard process. After a few months, heard back and was invited to interview. Interview was a three day event, with presentations on the University itself and what research was done here (with example projects from current students). Interviews involved 5 one on one interviews with faculty, each being about 40 minutes long. Interviews involved talking about one's past research experience, and listening to current research by the professor themselves.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to come here to study research?   1 Answer

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at UMass Medical School.

Interview

I applied through my college job board. After I submitted my resume to the PI, I received a response within a week asking for a personal interview. During the interview, I met with the PI, along with other PIs in the department, and then took a tour of the laboratory that I would work in if I got the position. I was accepted a few days later through email.

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

I contacted the PI directly via his profile/lab page describing interest in working in his lab. The PI asked for my resume, list of references, unofficial transcript, etc. We then had a Skype interview for an hour to discuss future goals, interest, and potential research projects that I may work on.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

I received an e-mail from the PI asking to arrange an in-person interview. At the interview, I met with the PI and a graduate student from the lab. The conversation was fine, but unfortunately it was clear they hadn't even glanced at my resume. My experience matched the job advertisement perfectly, but when I arrived at the interview the majority of job requirements were no where close to what the job ad described. Based on these new requirements, I was not a good fit for the position. I just wish they had looked at my resume before hand, or offered to talk to me on the phone to save me 4 hours of driving.

Interview Questions

• Why did you get your Master's degree? What techniques would you feel comfortable doing if you walked into the lab tomorrow?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at UMass Medical School.

Interview

phone and then 2 in person interviews to include in the hiring process this was done by the HR department and not the hiring manager. That is all I can say about the hiring process.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

The process began with a phone screen, then progressed to an in-person interview. Staff was extremely friendly and professional. All questions were expected. There were a few behavioral questions, so it's important to be prepared for those. Otherwise, nothing unexpected. Providing a sample of my work (e.g., writing sample) helped them better assess my skills.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about a time your had to handle a difficult situation with a coworker.   Answer Question

Bioinformatician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

I first find the position online; I submit the job application online; I got response from the employer; I first interviewed by the hiring manager; then I was scheduled to be interviewed by the department chair and other faculty members of the department; It took one whole day on site. I then talked with HR. Finally I got hired.

Laboratory Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

Two in-person interviews. First with a Lab Manager and then another with a tour of the lab and some Q & A with other lab managers and meetings with all the senior managers.

Interview Questions

• What is something that you value at a job?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UMass Medical School.

Interview

Extremely slow process and their Human Resources department is not helpful but only provided misinformation. I was never told many things about the job until I was in it. They expect you to do the job of two people and the salary is not sufficient enough for one person.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at UMass Medical School.

Interview

I was referred by another employee of the institution and as a result my resume was given top consideration. Process as straightforward and took less than one week. Met with two people and was given the job after the second interview. Did not contact HR until after I interviewed with the PI.

Interview Questions

• What did you like and dislike about your previous position?   Answer Question