UMass Medical School Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.4

Clinical Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Boston, MA) in April 2009.

Interview

The hiring process is painfully slow and will seem to have stopped. After initial communication several weeks may lapse until the candidate here's from the employer again. Often there is a disconnect between the hiring managers and the HR dept. HR at this organization is TERRIBLE. If you get to interviews, you'll likely meet with your future colleagues who are mostly bright, friendly, and underpaid. Demonstrate that you're a good team player and detailed oriented. Striking the right balance of reserved and out-going is key. Good to air on the side of reserved.

Interview Questions

• MassHealth is the biggest client of the organization. Do your homework on MassHealth and what comprises policy making. You may get a question like, "What would you do if you had a difficult client with whom you had to work?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There's almost no wiggle room in negotiating, and the hiring managers have nothing to do with salary negotiation. It all comes down to HR, so remember that.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UMass Medical School.

Interview

You may send email to the PI to ask if they have any openings there. Got phone interview and then onsite interview. Meet all the persons in the lab and give a talk. Talk with the PI and then get oral offer. official offer will send out in a few days.

Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

Hiring is done primarily through the UMass HR website. The candidate will receive an email invitation for an interview. Some primary investigators like to do a phone interview first, others will do an in-person interview. In order to maintain due-diligence, all candidates are required to be asked the same interview questions. Any person involved in the hiring process is required to fill out a post-interview evaluation. The candidate with the highest evaluation score gets the job.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was to give an oral summary of my work experience.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Interview

The PI called me and asked some technical questions, then offered me the position after receiving my future research plans. The overall time is less than 15 minutes, shorter than I expected

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA).

Interview

Guidelines, process, and practice are highly variable. Presentation was given to those within Division, but was not advertised University-wide. No HR involvement until after I was hired. Apparent subjectivity introduces distrust in process.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UMass Medical School.

Interview

Extremely slow process and their Human Resources department is not helpful but only provided misinformation. I was never told many things about the job until I was in it. They expect you to do the job of two people and the salary is not sufficient enough for one person.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in August 2010.

Interview

2 informal (and informative) interviews in his office. We discussed his research work in detail. he asked me about my training and whether I thought I could solve the problems he was facing in his work. We discussed what kind of software I'd written and my mathematical research and dissertation.

Interview Questions

• This was not that kind of high-pressure interview. We discussed his research work in detail. he asked me about my training and whether I thought I could solve the problems he was facing in his work.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

The process began with a phone screen, then progressed to an in-person interview. Staff was extremely friendly and professional. All questions were expected. There were a few behavioral questions, so it's important to be prepared for those. Otherwise, nothing unexpected. Providing a sample of my work (e.g., writing sample) helped them better assess my skills.

Interview Questions

• Please tell us about a time your had to handle a difficult situation with a coworker.   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

I contacted the PI directly via his profile/lab page describing interest in working in his lab. The PI asked for my resume, list of references, unofficial transcript, etc. We then had a Skype interview for an hour to discuss future goals, interest, and potential research projects that I may work on.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Boston, MA) in January 2011.

Interview

applied online and got interview and got offer and joined there due to the location,
    Compared to other schools, the overall experience was great.
    Compared to other schools, the overall experience was great