UMass Medical School Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.5

Clinical Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Boston, MA) in April 2009.

Interview

The hiring process is painfully slow and will seem to have stopped. After initial communication several weeks may lapse until the candidate here's from the employer again. Often there is a disconnect between the hiring managers and the HR dept. HR at this organization is TERRIBLE. If you get to interviews, you'll likely meet with your future colleagues who are mostly bright, friendly, and underpaid. Demonstrate that you're a good team player and detailed oriented. Striking the right balance of reserved and out-going is key. Good to air on the side of reserved.

Interview Questions

• MassHealth is the biggest client of the organization. Do your homework on MassHealth and what comprises policy making. You may get a question like, "What would you do if you had a difficult client with whom you had to work?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

There's almost no wiggle room in negotiating, and the hiring managers have nothing to do with salary negotiation. It all comes down to HR, so remember that.

Bioinformatician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in November 2014.

Interview

I first find the position online; I submit the job application online; I got response from the employer; I first interviewed by the hiring manager; then I was scheduled to be interviewed by the department chair and other faculty members of the department; It took one whole day on site. I then talked with HR. Finally I got hired.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at UMass Medical School.

Interview

Extremely slow process and their Human Resources department is not helpful but only provided misinformation. I was never told many things about the job until I was in it. They expect you to do the job of two people and the salary is not sufficient enough for one person.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Boston, MA) in January 2011.

Interview

applied online and got interview and got offer and joined there due to the location, Compared to other schools, the overall experience was great. applied online and got interview and got offer and joined there due to the location, Compared to other schools, the overall experience was great

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at UMass Medical School.

Interview

You may send email to the PI to ask if they have any openings there. Got phone interview and then onsite interview. Meet all the persons in the lab and give a talk. Talk with the PI and then get oral offer. official offer will send out in a few days.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Interview

The PI called me and asked some technical questions, then offered me the position after receiving my future research plans. The overall time is less than 15 minutes, shorter than I expected

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA).

Interview

Guidelines, process, and practice are highly variable. Presentation was given to those within Division, but was not advertised University-wide. No HR involvement until after I was hired. Apparent subjectivity introduces distrust in process.

Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

Hiring is done primarily through the UMass HR website. The candidate will receive an email invitation for an interview. Some primary investigators like to do a phone interview first, others will do an in-person interview. In order to maintain due-diligence, all candidates are required to be asked the same interview questions. Any person involved in the hiring process is required to fill out a post-interview evaluation. The candidate with the highest evaluation score gets the job.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was to give an oral summary of my work experience.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

I received an e-mail from the PI asking to arrange an in-person interview. At the interview, I met with the PI and a graduate student from the lab. The conversation was fine, but unfortunately it was clear they hadn't even glanced at my resume. My experience matched the job advertisement perfectly, but when I arrived at the interview the majority of job requirements were no where close to what the job ad described. Based on these new requirements, I was not a good fit for the position. I just wish they had looked at my resume before hand, or offered to talk to me on the phone to save me 4 hours of driving.

Interview Questions

• Why did you get your Master's degree? What techniques would you feel comfortable doing if you walked into the lab tomorrow?   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at UMass Medical School (Worcester, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

I contacted the PI directly via his profile/lab page describing interest in working in his lab. The PI asked for my resume, list of references, unofficial transcript, etc. We then had a Skype interview for an hour to discuss future goals, interest, and potential research projects that I may work on.