UMass Medical School Interview Questions

2.3

Clinical Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at UMass Medical School in April 2009.

The hiring process is painfully slow and will seem to have stopped. After initial communication several weeks may lapse until the candidate here's from the employer again. Often there is a disconnect between the hiring managers and the HR dept. HR at this organization is TERRIBLE. If you get to interviews, you'll likely meet with your future colleagues who are mostly bright, friendly, and underpaid. Demonstrate that you're a good team player and detailed oriented. Striking the right balance of reserved and out-going is key. Good to air on the side of reserved.

Interview Questions
    • MassHealth is the biggest client of the organization. Do your homework on MassHealth and what comprises policy making. You may get a question like, "What would you do if you had a difficult client with whom you had to work?"   View Answer
    There's almost no wiggle room in negotiating, and the hiring managers have nothing to do with salary negotiation. It all comes down to HR, so remember that.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at UMass Medical School.

You may send email to the PI to ask if they have any openings there. Got phone interview and then onsite interview. Meet all the persons in the lab and give a talk. Talk with the PI and then get oral offer. official offer will send out in a few days.

Research Associate II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at UMass Medical School in March 2014.

Hiring is done primarily through the UMass HR website. The candidate will receive an email invitation for an interview. Some primary investigators like to do a phone interview first, others will do an in-person interview. In order to maintain due-diligence, all candidates are required to be asked the same interview questions. Any person involved in the hiring process is required to fill out a post-interview evaluation. The candidate with the highest evaluation score gets the job.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was to give an oral summary of my work experience.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

The PI called me and asked some technical questions, then offered me the position after receiving my future research plans. The overall time is less than 15 minutes, shorter than I expected

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at UMass Medical School.

Guidelines, process, and practice are highly variable. Presentation was given to those within Division, but was not advertised University-wide. No HR involvement until after I was hired. Apparent subjectivity introduces distrust in process.

Administrative Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at UMass Medical School.

Extremely slow process and their Human Resources department is not helpful but only provided misinformation. I was never told many things about the job until I was in it. They expect you to do the job of two people and the salary is not sufficient enough for one person.

Research Associate II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at UMass Medical School.

I was referred by another employee of the institution and as a result my resume was given top consideration. Process as straightforward and took less than one week. Met with two people and was given the job after the second interview. Did not contact HR until after I interviewed with the PI.

Interview Questions
    • What did you like and dislike about your previous position?   Answer Question

Bio Statistician II Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at UMass Medical School.

There are phone interview and on-site interview. Talked about the experience and background. There were not many technicall questions since it's for fresh graduate.

Interview Questions
    not negotiatable if no backup offer

Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at UMass Medical School in July 2011.

Talk to professor and talk to lab members.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at UMass Medical School in January 2010.

The interview process was very easy an informal in my particular case. I was contacted via email asking to set up a phone interview, where I spoke directly with the person who became my supervisor. He explained the job to me, and did not ask extensive questions (I was expecting to have to explain myself much more). At the end he asked if this was something I was interested in, which obviously I was. He set up a 1 on 1 interview for later that week. I came in and spoke mainly with him, though he did introduce me to some other members of the lab. Again, this was very casual. After checking my references, I received an offer from the school, pending a check on my degree status. That went through very quickly and I started the job in a matter of weeks.

Interview Questions

Worked for UMass Medical School? Contribute to the Community!